U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM

49 posts, read 142,892 times

Advertisements

As a newbie visitor, I'm curious to know what inland lakes are most recommended by those who are native to the state. Beyond, the Twin Cities, I'm not very familiar with the rest of the state other than the License plate logo("Land of 10,000 Lakes") which sparked my curiosity about the state's lakes. I'm also an avid fisherman.

Anyway insight would be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,183,727 times
Leech, Bemidji, and Detroit Lakes would be the three that I would recognize as most familiar.

I think for anyone, it is going to depend on where you live, as a half-dozen more lakes pop into my head, but I think that's just because they were the best lakes within 40 miles of my hometown.

Places like Bemidji and Detroit Lakes get a popularity boost from their associated town and party/resort scene. I would bet fishermen prefer other lakes though.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 AM

15,411 posts, read 5,284,147 times
Lake Vermilion in northeast Minnesota was named one of the ten most scenic lakes in the United States back in the 1940's by the National Geographic Society.

It is an excellent fishing lake. It has 40,000 acres of water, 365 islands, and 1200 miles of shoreline. It is located near the small towns of Cook and Tower. There are a good number of motels, resorts, campgrounds, and marinas there.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM

4,020 posts, read 3,832,231 times
Boundary Waters

Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness: Minnesota DNR

BWCA, Boundary Waters, Canoe, Quetico

Boundary Waters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM

127 posts, read 302,800 times
Ottertail Lake has some great resorts and restaurants. I would recommend Zorbaz for lunch or dinner but plan on a wait to get in.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 AM

4,987 posts, read 12,696,263 times
When Minnesotans think of 'most popular lakes for recreation', Lake Superior would not come up very often except for maybe people in Duluth or along the north shore. We have SO many more lakes that people go to boat, waterski, wakeboard, swim, fish, etc. Lake Superior is very cold water (year round) and is so big that is it much more dangerous.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM

45 posts, read 89,058 times
The series of lakes along Hwy 371 between Brainerd and Bemidji would probably have the highest number of cabin goers and vacationers compared to any other areas.
Ive also noticed that rounded lakes tend to be more sportsman where as the funny shaped ones with bays and coves usually see more recreation, especially when there's a city on the lake.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

4,201 posts, read 5,704,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotz90s View Post
Ottertail Lake has some great resorts and restaurants. I would recommend Zorbaz for lunch or dinner but plan on a wait to get in.
I'm about half an hour from there but have wanted to visit that Zorbaz. Is it busy year round or only in the summer months?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,183,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I'm about half an hour from there but have wanted to visit that Zorbaz. Is it busy year round or only in the summer months?
I'm sure its not nearly as busy in the winter. However, the reason to go to Zorbaz is the whole summertime lake-party atmosphere. The food is fine, but not really much above any other bar or small town cafe.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM

15,411 posts, read 5,284,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I'm sure its not nearly as busy in the winter. However, the reason to go to Zorbaz is the whole summertime lake-party atmosphere. The food is fine, but not really much above any other bar or small town cafe.
West of Minneapolis (approx 20 miles) there is a similar atmosphere at Lord Fletcher's on Lake Minnetonka. That place opened back in 1968 and is still popular. I have been there on a couple visits and enjoyed lunch there. Their large deck is great, but the dinners are pricey. It is the summertime place to enjoy and just relax/party on the weekends for a lot of west metro residents. There are boat slips and it is not uncommon for people to arrive there by boat.

I've never been to Zorbaz. It sounds like a fun place as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota