Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times

Advertisements

KSTP ran this story tonight: Proposed Bill Would Allow Illegal Immigrants to Get MN Driver's Licenses | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

Critics questioned the possible consequences. Given how the identity of the applicant would be verified, I think there's a serious possibility of criminals gravitating to the state to get this legal-looking identity card before moving on to other places to, for instance, be drug mules and vendors. I just don't think it is a good idea for Minnesota to be "progressive" in this way. Let Obama and the Republicans sort it out and then conform to the national solution. Mary Kiffmeyer, former Secretary of State, threw cold water on it. She's the one that wanted government ID at polling places. I'm sure she suspects it is a DFL plot to anticipate some sort of ID requirement and get ID for people who've not gotten the right to vote. Me, I have no idea what the real motive is. The sponsors have used a crash with a school bus as the supposed reason that it is a "safety issue". If the legislature were to pass this on that basis and NOT pass gun control, I think we'd know that "safety" has become a way to cover ulterior motives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Just give them the keys to the city and be done with it. I'm so tired of giving people that break the law to get here benefits, its simply ridiculous. Its certainly not fair to others that go by the book to come here. I just wonder if there were no race card to play, how this problem would have been handled over the years. I have a huge problem with the way illegal immigration has been handled. And it has nothing to do with the skin tone or language spoken. When will people exercise some common sense with regard to this problem. It seems too late now, a mismanaged problem for decades.

Funny though, we are tough on lower income people wanting to get a tourist visa from a poor country, they are afraid they might stay. Then we do things that will encourage more from south of the border to come over illegally.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM

The law wants to circumvent the whole issue of immigration reform where an immigrant must fulfill legal requirements in order to be treated as a citizen. Under a lame argument of "road safety", it wants to give them legal ID. How it can be misused is fodder for endless speculation. What isn't speculative, what the sponsors refuse to acknowledge, is it WILL be misused. One traffic accident, which could easily have been caused by any state driver, is not a sufficient basis for doing anything so radical. I'm totally convinced it is about partisan politics. There are, after all, a goodly number of Hispanics who've made it through the process to legally vote. The sponsors hope to prove "we're pro-Hispanic" to lock up the votes for the sake of their party. I'm sure the Republicans have done exactly the same thing in other ways. So it really is a two-party game. But I hope there are enough not-rabid legislators to put the brakes on this. I pigeonhole this with things like marriage amendments.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM

229 posts, read 423,643 times
I really can't understand how someone can come here illegally and get ANYTHING, but deported.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM

361 posts, read 748,152 times
I would expect this from Minnesota.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 AM

What? We're simpleminded because we don't understand how blatant violations of laws should be ignored or even rewarded? Well, this is Flyoverland. Those "advanced ideas" on law maybe haven't taken root here.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaquarius View Post
I really can't understand how someone can come here illegally and get ANYTHING, but deported.
Yes, this ^.

In the long run the issue needs addressed but not at this level.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
And while they are here illegally lets at least not put us in harms way, lets have them get a drivers lic before they do anymore harm.

yes, I agree if they are illegals we should deport them asap
but MN is a bleeding heart state for "refugees"....

Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM

People with driver's licenses kill people all the time *cough*Amy Senser*cough*. Licsensing illegals to "make us safer" is just loony. That illegal didn't hit the school bus due to a lack of license.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Please don't let your state turn into another California. I could write pages on this topic but all the info is already out there. Look at what has happened to some of the once nice small towns in Nebraska and Iowa. Some of them with meat packing plants decided to save money on payroll and hired lots of illegals. Now those once nice towns are experiencing gangs, graffitti and a major increase in crime.
If you enable these people they will spread like cockroaches. Not legal = no license!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota