U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-26-2007, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,714 times
Question African Americans and other minorities in Alexandria and surrounding areas?

Perhaps some residents of Alexandria and the surrounding areas could share their opinions on the recent increase of minorities in the area. I have noticed that some residents from Alexandria both in professional and other social situations seem to have less tolerance for minorities in the area. Would anyone care to share their thoughts on this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc2k7 View Post
Perhaps some residents of Alexandria and the surrounding areas could share their opinions on the recent increase of minorities in the area. I have noticed that some residents from Alexandria both in professional and other social situations seem to have less tolerance for minorities in the area. Would anyone care to share their thoughts on this topic?
i think its great seeing as how the majority is white. I am hispanic myself and feel so sick and tired of some white people staring at me for no reason other then being hispanic. my personal opinion is that i think alot of the white people here are either racists. this town needs to be exposed for what it truly is. "i have noticed that some residents from alexandria both in professional and other social situations seem to have less tolerance for minorities in the area."

you have no idea how right you are about that one.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,683 times
But for all the bad people-it still is a very beautiful place to live. My daughter is mexican, irish, scottish and a whole other list of races. But I want her to grow up in a wide open place with lakes and grass-i dont want her to live in a big city just because people in this town are intolerable. I think alexandria's flaws need to be laid out for everyone to see-to catch someone in the act.

Last edited by golfgal; 11-28-2007 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: removed response to deleted post

Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,620,168 times
I don't know the city well, but I'm sure there are a couple reasons why Alexandria is so seasonal in nature.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM

25,850 posts, read 44,078,454 times
You also have to take the far-flung location of Alexandria into account. I know in my area there are many folks who aren't inherently racist, but they do stare at folks of different ethnicities, races, religious background, sexual orientations, etc. because they have never been exposed to it before, considering we're one of the least diverse metropolitan areas in the nation. It might be no different than African-Americans staring at a white person walking through a residential neighborhood in Detroit, where 90% of the city is black, for example. Most folks there aren't inherently racist against whites, but they might not have much exposure to them other than what they've seen in the media, in magazines, movies, etc. As such, it's only natural to be inquisitive and curious about people of other cultures and races you've never come into contact with before.

As a gay person myself, I can say by and large that folks in my area come off homophobic initially, and then they let their guards down and tolerate you once they realize you're not a threat to their way of life. Perhaps it's the same way in Alexandria too? People might simply be over-protective against Hispanics, blacks, etc. briefly due to underexposure to these types of folks, and then they warm up once they get to know them.

Hey, if all else fails and these folks keep staring at you, just shake your manhood at them! LOL!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:33 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,837,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
You also have to take the far-flung location of Alexandria into account. I know in my area there are many folks who aren't inherently racist, but they do stare at folks of different ethnicities, races, religious background, sexual orientations, etc. because they have never been exposed to it before, considering we're one of the least diverse metropolitan areas in the nation. It might be no different than African-Americans staring at a white person walking through a residential neighborhood in Detroit, where 90% of the city is black, for example. Most folks there aren't inherently racist against whites, but they might not have much exposure to them other than what they've seen in the media, in magazines, movies, etc. As such, it's only natural to be inquisitive and curious about people of other cultures and races you've never come into contact with before.
Your post hit the nail on the head....I live in far northwestern MN and while I did not grow up here I did grow up and live in small town America. Just because you feel someone may be starring at you or you get more looks absolutely has nothing to do with that person being racists. Many people will naturally awknowledge something that is different than what they are used to. I lived outside Detroit for a number of years...and very true if a white or hispanic person would walk in Detroit I would feel the samething as if I was the center of attention. Doing that alone does not make a person a racist.. I feel that term is thrown out so liberally as to dilute it and mask true racism.

Dan

Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,215,249 times
I would say that Alexandria specifically is different then most smaller towns in outstate MN in that it is a very wealthy area, higher then average education levels, etc. It is a large lake/retirement community that comes from all over the state. Mankato, Marshall, Rochester would be similar in that they have people coming and going all the time from all walks of life and are more 'exposed' to different races, cultures, sexual orientations as you say. When you get into some of the REALLY small town, you will probably get stared at but you could be a blond haired, blue eyed stranger and get the same looks because you aren't someone they know. It isn't a 'race' issue vs a stranger issue.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 PM

20 posts, read 42,081 times
From the viewpoint of an Alexandria teenager, I would have to say I like it. I'm a cacausian kid who wishes his town had this and that store or restaurant, and seeing these minorities settling here gives me this warm feeling that gradually my dream for this town is coming along well...we're getting larger! Now I don't mean Duluth sized, I just want something like, a slightly scaled down version of St. Cloud.

As I tell my friends, "It adds some nice diversity, and we can learn a thing or two from them"

-Kreg
mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 07-15-2009 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: links to blogs not allowed

Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,714 times
Your a pretty smart kid Kreg. That kind of thinking is what it takes to make this country a better place.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 PM

31 posts, read 50,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
.............Doing that alone does not make a person a racist.. I feel that term is thrown out so liberally as to dilute it and mask true racism.

Dan
Thank you for pointing that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota