Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM

26 posts, read 187,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaStarlight View Post
Hi
My family, and I have just moved to Minnessota, and I was wondering how deep the snow is going to get. We've heared everything from 7 inch snowfalls to 70! I love the snow, but I 'd like to know beforehand if it's going to be up over my head. I'm seriously considering buying snowshoes, and an eskimo costume. Could someone please set this straight for me? Thanks.

It all depends on where you moved to. There are at least 3 major climatological regions in MN, and perhaps one or two other minor variations. Up in the Arrowhead, normally you're talking some DEEP snow....3 even 4 feet was not unusual at one time. And it would stay all winter. Typically in that region there was enough snow on the ground by deer season to track (at least an inch or 2, but usually 5-8 inches)...now there is almost never any snow in time for deer opener, and if there is it melts away. If you talk to, or read stuff from "old timers" what they called years with not much snow was knee deep, or perhaps just under knee deep. But with the effects of climate change, things have been quite different...it's a struggle to get knee deep snow now, even in the boundary waters.

But that's in the arrowhead and along the Canadian border...even duluth's climate is different than up there..if you're down in the cities, I have no clue. A good guess would be to watch the movie "Grumpy Old Men" to get an idea of what it used to be like in southern MN...lol! .But they ain't had that in nearly 20 years....

Hopefully we'll have a good winter with some actual snow this year...winter in MN can be a lot of fun, if you know how to dress and play right!

Last edited by nightphoenix; 10-30-2007 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: forgot one thought.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 PM

143 posts, read 455,346 times
Just keep in mind that MN is used to dealing with snow so, whatever we get is rarely a problem. The streets and highways will get cleaned and things will move along pretty much like normal unless it's a REALLY bad storm. Those take a day or two to clean up.
Make sure you have a good shovel and a snowblower is good if you have a lot of driveway or sidewalk.

As someone else mentioned, down is always a good choice in outerwear cuz more often than not, it's the wind that will get you more than snow or actual temp.

Most of us just take a wait and see attitude when it comes to the snow cuz....whenever we try to guess what it's gonna be like...we're wrong.

A couple of friends swear they have a sure-fire way of telling how much snow we'll get. If snowmobile sales have been really brisk, we won't get any snow. LOL

Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM

26 posts, read 187,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Bob View Post

A couple of friends swear they have a sure-fire way of telling how much snow we'll get. If snowmobile sales have been really brisk, we won't get any snow. LOL
LOL! That sounds about right!

Old 11-05-2007, 01:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,217,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Bob View Post
If snowmobile sales have been really brisk, we won't get any snow. LOL
This seems true to me.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,590 times
i will be going to minneplouse mn in late january earley febuary 2013 how much snow should i expect i will be there for a week

Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,887,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needham40 View Post
i will be going to minneplouse mn in late january earley febuary 2013 how much snow should i expect i will be there for a week
You don't have to worry about bringing any boots but you might want to stuff a couple of empty plastic bread bags in your pockets just in case.

between Jan 26th and Feb 8th we will have between a 15% to 18% chance of at least 1/2" of snow, the chances of 1" or more is 9% to 12%, at least 2" is 5% to 7% and the chance of at least 3" is from 2% to 4%.

as far as snow depth, you should expect that Minnpoless will have 5" of snow on the ground on Jan 26th through January 31st. On Feb 1st expect the depth to go up to 6" and that we will lose from 1/4 to 1/2" per day for the next 3 days until Feb 4th when the depth will then be back to 5" again for the next few days.

sorry the link doesn't seem to work but you should be able to figure what to type in from this...

http://www.climatestations.com/minne...Minneapolis-St. Paul Yearly Temperature, Precipitation, and Snowfall Graphs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota