Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:01 AM

9 posts, read 14,167 times

Advertisements

I plan to move from TN to attend a Computer Engineering program in Minnesota. I have narrowed school choices down to St Cloud State University and the U. I am writing because I am not finding much information comparing CompE programs between these two schools. I am also very interested about CompE job prospects in the Twin Cities (or anywhere else in MN for that matter).

If both schools are ABET accredited and I plan to stay in the TC, does it even matter whether I spring the extra $28,000 for a nationally recognized degree. OR, can I save my money and do just as well as other engineers in the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
St. Cloud State has a good reputation in the midwest in many areas. I don't think you will suffer for lack of jobs upon graduation if you are planning on staying in the region. The U of MN will not garner you more opportunities over St. Cloud State, assuming you do will in school no matter where you go. It's certainly not worth that much more no matter what you study.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
My question would be "does an instate degree really buy you any advantage in a Minnesota job?" I worked in IT with people who graduated from a much smaller school in North Dakota. So how much to pay just to live in this region? At US Bank, I was working with guys who got trained in India's IIM schools. Other side of the world and beat out local grads. Wouldn't want to live for years in India, I suppose, but maybe get cheaper tuition somewhere else. Years ago, when I was in the job search mode, one of the things they suggested was talking to people who make hiring decisions to find out if the source of your degree really is a critical factor in choosing one candidate over another. You come to a company as a total stranger, fresh out of school, no hands on experience. Will "U of M graduate" compensate for all your drawbacks?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM

9 posts, read 14,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
My question would be "does an instate degree really buy you any advantage in a Minnesota job?"... You come to a company as a total stranger, fresh out of school, no hands on experience. Will "U of M graduate" compensate for all your drawbacks?
My reasoning follows a decision to move to MN first, then get degree (or whatever credential) later. My plan to move to MN is independent from the desire to attend school. In other words, I know A) I want to live in the TC area and B) I want to get into Computer Engineering. I guess these two schools appeared desirable because they were in and around the TC area.

Herein lies the dilemma I think you were getting at: whether or not a MN degree will afford a better position at all in an even lesser known school than SCSU. I honestly don't have an answer for that one. I will say that once upon a time I was researching law schools (I have since abandoned those efforts!!), and found that while graduates who attended top ranking schools got first dibs on job offers, many ended up in jobs right next to kids who went to the "budget-degree" schools. My question is whether or not the CompE/IT/CS field is similar in that SCSU's CompE program is cheaper and just as likely to land you a job as UofM.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 PM

My friend, Roger, moved TO TN for a computer engineering job. I thought high tech was what made things like the Nashville Predators and Memphis Grizzlies possible. But maybe its six of one and half dozen of the other. There's some weather in TN we don't quite get there. Things like flooded out cities.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 AM

Neither program will land you a job faster than the other. Law school is an entirely different beast and while going to a top law school is important if you want a job in New York or LA, going to William Mitchell or Hamline if you want to work in MN would be just fine too.

Save the money and go to SCSU.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Warren Burger and Harry Blackmun made it to the Supreme Court from William Mitchell. High recommendation.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,072 times
You could go to a community college for the first two years. Then transfer to whichever of the four year schools. You would then have the degree from the four year school for a lot less cost.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
You could go to a community college for the first two years. Then transfer to whichever of the four year schools. You would then have the degree from the four year school for a lot less cost.
Unless you need financial aid or get merit awards then the community college route is often more expensive.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 PM

49 posts, read 79,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydidymus View Post
I plan to move from TN to attend a Computer Engineering program in Minnesota. I have narrowed school choices down to St Cloud State University and the U. I am writing because I am not finding much information comparing CompE programs between these two schools. I am also very interested about CompE job prospects in the Twin Cities (or anywhere else in MN for that matter).

If both schools are ABET accredited and I plan to stay in the TC, does it even matter whether I spring the extra $28,000 for a nationally recognized degree. OR, can I save my money and do just as well as other engineers in the field.
I graduated with a computer engineering degree from a Big 10 school. I have never heard of St. Cloud State's computer engineering program. The U's computer engineering program is good but not great, but with the Big 10/flagship state school brand you'll have much better job prospects with a degree from the U than from St. Cloud State.

However, given that you're from Tennessee, why not go in-state at UT-Knoxville? Or consider other schools in the midwest with more prestigious computer engineering programs such as Illinois?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota