Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:16 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,173,779 times

Advertisements

Over the last year, I've seen a specific kind of house show up more and more often on the market - and I just love it. Lately, I've become rather dissappointed with the newer homes currently available - cheap materials quickly assembled by cheap labor - no soul, no character.

All around the Twin Cities, several specific neighborhoods are offering up what is quickly becoming my favorite house: 1950's-60's built ramblers, steel I-beam support, typically 3 bed/1-2 baths - properly built with great materials by skilled labor. But there's more (and here's why I love them):

These homes are largely still owned by the *original* owners. Do the math, and you'll see why these houses are becoming available. We're talking about the hard working, honest WW II generation who took excellent care of there homes, where loving families were raised. As I look through these homes, I am absolutely astounded at the painstaking care and true pride of ownership exhibited by these very special homeowners.

And even better, my latest crop of first-time home buyers are requesting these homes. Last year, everybody was looking for the newer boxes with windows (my euphemism for 1990's+ development). This lastest generation of first-time home buyers makes me happy - with their appreciation of things that should be appreciated: the homes, the stories, and the legacy of the greatest generation.

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,900,389 times
I'm right there with you. Not a big fan of the clonehomes. I'll take mid-century modern any day. I love my real woodwork, coved ceilings, and pocket doors. The new stuff just isn't that quality.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
Over the last year, I've seen a specific kind of house show up more and more often on the market - and I just love it. Lately, I've become rather dissappointed with the newer homes currently available - cheap materials quickly assembled by cheap labor - no soul, no character.

All around the Twin Cities, several specific neighborhoods are offering up what is quickly becoming my favorite house: 1950's-60's built ramblers, steel I-beam support, typically 3 bed/1-2 baths - properly built with great materials by skilled labor. But there's more (and here's why I love them):

These homes are largely still owned by the *original* owners. Do the math, and you'll see why these houses are becoming available. We're talking about the hard working, honest WW II generation who took excellent care of there homes, where loving families were raised. As I look through these homes, I am absolutely astounded at the painstaking care and true pride of ownership exhibited by these very special homeowners.

And even better, my latest crop of first-time home buyers are requesting these homes. Last year, everybody was looking for the newer boxes with windows (my euphemism for 1990's+ development). This lastest generation of first-time home buyers makes me happy - with their appreciation of things that should be appreciated: the homes, the stories, and the legacy of the greatest generation.

Robert
If this is the case, then I stand corrected(and dead wrong) about old houses being bad. I guess it depends on who takes good care of a house.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 PM

My dear Pirate,

These homes are in AWESOME condition. The basements are typically unfinished, tidy, and dry. The upstairs always has 3/4" oak flooring under the sometimes dated carpet. I've sold many of these homes over the past several years, and I always snicker when I turn over the *original* documents from the builder to the new homeowner - usually in perfect condition.

These useful pamphlets make timely suggestions such as, "To avoid discoloring the cultured marble used in the kitchen and bathroom, we suggest keeping ashtrays handy in every room."

Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
If this is the case, then I stand corrected(and dead wrong) about old houses being bad. I guess it depends on who takes good care of a house.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
My dear Pirate,

These homes are in AWESOME condition. The basements are typically unfinished, tidy, and dry. The upstairs always has 3/4" oak flooring under the sometimes dated carpet. I've sold many of these homes over the past several years, and I always snicker when I turn over the *original* documents from the builder to the new homeowner - usually in perfect condition.

These useful pamphlets make timely suggestions such as, "To avoid discoloring the cultured marble used in the kitchen and bathroom, we suggest keeping ashtrays handy in every room."

Classic!
These homes have passed the test of time. Very lovely. My favorite is the steel "I" beam. Solid.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:45 PM

571 posts, read 2,522,207 times
I agree. I grew up in a 1920's "traditional". While there are certainly annoying things about older homes (outdated plubmbing and electrical systems, small bedrooms, etc.), they just have so much CHARACTER that you can't find in those soulless developments. Beautiful woodwork that you CAN'T find these days because it was made from "old growth" timber. Charming built-ins, "real" attics, mature trees. Odd little nooks and crannies and my favorite, lanudry chutes! (I used to use the laundry chute as an eavesdropping device when I was a kid!)

And yes, I think pepole then took more pride in their homes because once they moved in, they pretty much planned on staying there for life. A home was a permanent thing, not a temporary rung on your way up to something "bigger and newer."

Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 AM

90 posts, read 357,277 times
Yes, but one problem with them is that they often tend to be about 2,200 square feet.

We can have our arguments about whether you "need" more space. That is a personal matter, but I for one certainly want it. Those older ramblers with their narrow corridors and tiny rooms (and absolute absence of closet space, etc.) just feel claustrophobic to me.

I agree with your general point about modern building materials, however. I talked to several carpenters who said that unless you really went out of your way to prevent it (i.e. demanded specific windows), pretty much every home built after 1985 has junk windows that are made from woodscraps and press that will basically fall apart after 15 years or so.

It's a pity we can't get that old fashioned construction ethics and material combined with a more modern layout and size (without having to pay $2MM for it).

Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Yes, sometimes layouts in older homes can be odd, sort of "chopped up". It depends on what you're looking at, of course. It's amazing what some remodeling can do though. Of course that costs money, but it's one way to get the best of both worlds.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Square footage is an important issue for a lot of people. It's actually kind of funny - people I invite over to our house expect us to have 8000 sqft of blindingly huge house on 100 acres in downtown Minneapolis (you get the point).

My wife and I live in Lakeville with our 3 kids in a 1700 sqft house that ran us about 189,000 a few years ago. We have the best neighbors in the world, wonderful areas to run and play with the kids - just a great place!

As a Realtor, I'm in several huge homes everyday - and I think they're quite nice - but just not for me and mine. I have clients who need 4000 sqft and a pool - that's them. I'll end this thought with a statement that will probably cause some problems here: Families got along better when they lived in smaller homes.

Flame away,

Robert

Old 11-04-2007, 01:59 PM

I don't think I'd want to have to clean a 4,000 square foot home. I'd much rather spend that time outside or doing something else more fun. But that's just me. (Well, maybe I'd think differently if I could afford a maid, a gardener and a pool boy, lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota