Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
It's interesting to note the new taxes passed by the House and the Senate have not taken effect yet. Might that slow growth down a bit during the next year?

Also the state GOP wished they had this good news during the election. During 2012, the GOP controlled both the State House and Senate.
I don't think good news about the state's budget or other figures are going to wildly swing people one way or another. There are those who follow politics closely and those who don't. Most people fall into the second category. What do they care about? Pretty easy: their employment status, the health, and the quality of services (schools, hospitals, roads, parks, etc).

I follow politics and have my own biases, but I don't care if it's Republicans or Democrats in office...I want progress. I want a growing economy, healthy citizens, stable families, and educated kids (and adults, for that matter). While my vote skews one direction, I am not bound by the shackles of party ideology. Some Republican ideas work. Some Democrat ideas work. And each side has their own failures or general things I disagree with. But would good news in 2012 have made me more or less likely to vote for Republicans? The answer is no, and not the least of which because there was already good news about the Minnesota economy before November. We suffered less in the recession (and later), we recovered quicker, and we are making significant progress as other states are still mired in problems.

Nothing would have saved the GOP in November. This is still a blue-leaning state and the GOP majorities were a fluke of the mid-term elections fueled by a Tea Party surge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 AM

838 posts, read 565,443 times
I miss Minnesota, My family decided that it was an good idea to move from MN to Chicago and then from Chicago to NY, Needless to say it was the worst. I'm actually considering going back as soon as i'm finished with school, MN is one of the greatest states i've ever lived in.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Funny how some people HOPE for bad news. Like the national GOP HOPING the economy will turn sour so they can use that against Obama and the Democrats. News is never "good" for everybody.

It's not that I hope for bad news or want to blame it on any of the 'puppets' in the white house at any given time, I'm just tired of the funny money propping up the system and the games that go on.. you could say I want an honest economy with an honest banking system.

Funny money propping things up is not good for anybody. A good, honest shakeout of the phat and excesses of the system would have been painful, but would have been a healthier long term solution than bailing out the people who caused the problems, and thus we still have a highly over-leveraged and debt dependent system in place. One day it will snap, either with massive inflation, or a deflationary period of liquidation. Until then, I'd say I'm lucky to be in the situation I'm in and am not going to sit in the basement hurling warnings of doom like some do.. just live life, and watch it unfold as it does...

Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
No I don't regret leaving. We may end up there in a year for family and to get out of Arizona. Definitely not for the politics

Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
No I don't regret leaving. We may end up there in a year for family and to get out of Arizona. Definitely not for the politics
Wow, can't possibly understand how anyone can consider MN poltiics inferior to AZ politics. That place looks like a zoo. I got an earful from my brother who lived for decades in Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota