Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 AM

111 posts, read 659,923 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up in Minnesota in the 1960s, our family went up to Northern Minnesota every summer and stayed at a lake cabin on a lake North of Brainerd. We stayed in a small modern/rustic cabin right on a lake and spent our days playing board games, reading, socializing, swimming, boating, hiking and fishing. I remember making instant friends with the other kids who were also staying at the Mom and Pop resort. And the adults made quick friends of the other folks nearby and talked for hours about fishing, hunting and camping.

The resort had a game room and maybe a dozen cabins on the lake. I don't think there was any air conditioning but there was TV and, of course, furniture and electricity. I think we paid about the 2013 equivalent of $100 a night.

When I return to Minnesota I am told that no one stays at a place like that anymore and the only places left are timeshares and fancy resorts for $350 a night like Madden's and Cragun's and all the places we used to stay at north of Brainerd on the White Fish chain of lakes were torn down for timeshares and second homes.

Tell me this is not true and there is still places like we used to stay at left in Northern MN. Any stories about staying at a rustic resort in Minnesota back in the good old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,811 times
We loved this place:
Duluth Minnesota Cabin Rentals North Shore Lake Superior Quiet Cottages MN Cabins

Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
When I was growing up in Minnesota in the 1960s, our family went up to Northern Minnesota every summer and stayed at a lake cabin on a lake North of Brainerd. We stayed in a small modern/rustic cabin right on a lake and spent our days playing board games, reading, socializing, swimming, boating, hiking and fishing. I remember making instant friends with the other kids who were also staying at the Mom and Pop resort. And the adults made quick friends of the other folks nearby and talked for hours about fishing, hunting and camping.

The resort had a game room and maybe a dozen cabins on the lake. I don't think there was any air conditioning but there was TV and, of course, furniture and electricity. I think we paid about the 2013 equivalent of $100 a night.

When I return to Minnesota I am told that no one stays at a place like that anymore and the only places left are timeshares and fancy resorts for $350 a night like Madden's and Cragun's and all the places we used to stay at north of Brainerd on the White Fish chain of lakes were torn down for timeshares and second homes.

Tell me this is not true and there is still places like we used to stay at left in Northern MN. Any stories about staying at a rustic resort in Minnesota back in the good old days.
It's not true. You may need to go further North, but the MN of your memory is still around (for now).

Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Lake Cabin rentals | Brainerd Minnesota - cottage - MN. Great resort, golf, fishing and vacation - in Brainerd, MN.

Click on the various tabs for what you want but if you click on the resort tab you will get a listing of most resorts in the Brainerd area, everything from single cabins up to Grandview Lodge.

These are just the ones in Brainerd. There are a lot of places like what you describe.

There are many in the Walker area, Detroit Lakes (check out the Big McDonald Resort--family owned like you described), etc.

Last edited by golfgal; 06-10-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
Yeah, there are lots of those places around. Once catch is that they aren't always as well-represented online, so they can be a bit harder to find.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Check up along the Gunflint Trail also.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
About 15 years ago we stayed at something exactly as you described. It was on the southeast end of Leach Lake. Rustic cabins, game room, boat rentals w/someone to clean your fish if you want and a bar with restaurant. I wish I could remember the name of the place, but it's worth researching.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:53 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
I know of one that still exists. It's near Park Rapids. The Evergreen Lodge Family Resort & Golf Course. The Golf Course is a 9 hole par 3. It's on Big Sand Lake, they have 14 or so cabins all beautiful sandy beachfronts. No TVs Phones etc.. Real old school, they don't even have a website.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
My family used to do this all the time (as early as maybe 6-7 years ago) for things like fishing opener or just to have a vacation. Lots of simple places with your own cabin and the amenities you've described.

I'd say look north. We lived in Duluth and were going a few hours north to get to these places, though I know other family members from southern Minnesota who found places south of Duluth that they liked that had a similar feel.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Northern Wisconsin still has a ton of these places. Take a look at the Chetek, Sarona, and Hayward areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota