Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,457,200 times

Advertisements

Maplewood always seems to be nicer to me than Shakopee. But with an influx of new jobs, I suppose employees will be looking for best places to live that are not too far from their job. I wonder about Eden Prairie, New Prague, or even Bloomington south end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 07:56 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,826,412 times
i dont know anythign about maplewood, but maplewood would fit the bill of a diverse city.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:59 PM

24 posts, read 50,850 times
We've decided! Eden Prairie here we come!

More house for our money, good schools, express buses to Downtown in less than 30 mins, parks, lakes, and according to Money Magazine, in 2010 was voted the best place to live in all of the US.

Every avenue we tried to explore with Minnetonka, it just didn't work. From a decent affordable house (impossible with our budget) to commute time, school zones, distance to gym etc, we just couldn't make it work, there was always a road block with something..........

Eden Prairie on the other hand, everything has just fallen into place. It's seems perfect!

Now to find a rental for 9 months until we build up enough credit history to get a loan from the bank......boo!

Old 07-14-2013, 11:05 PM

24 posts, read 50,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
a nice diverse area where your kids can grow around people with different backgrounds that is near to anything you want would be shakopee.

shakopee is one of the real nice cities with a population that is less than 75 percent white. still some open air out there too. mystic, canterbury, valleyfair nearby and way lower prices then minnetonka.

if im raising a family and want to stay long term, shakopee is where you should be.
I looked into Shakopee, the school ratings seem to be quite a lot lower than other areas.
Also isn't there a river that floods every year making getting to work difficult?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:45 PM

125 posts, read 259,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrol View Post
If we do buy in Minnetonka, with our budget, we'd definitely be living on "the wrong side of the track"
I wonder what effect that would have on my kids, going to school with a lot of the more "privileged" kids, especially when my kids rock up to school in their Honda civic

I'm sure there will be areas of Minnetonka that will be less privileged, more down to earth and hopefully more multicultural.

I'm not giving up on Minnetonka just yet, just have to wait and see all that it has to offer when we get there.

gtc08 where would you recommend?
I grew up in Minnetonka and spent 20 years of my adult life living, working and going to school in South Minneapolis.

Your comment about living on the wrong side of the track in Minnetonka made me smile. We certainly did when I was growing up there! But the funny thing is, there is so much wealth in the whole Twin Cities, so many rich people and so many beautiful areas, so many nice houses, it doesn't matter where you live there, you will always be on "the wrong side of the track" to someone!

Here is a funny story, I saw an old family friend from Minnetonka a few years ago, I asked about her sister, she said her sister was "living in a trailer in Redmond, Washington" :-) that made me laugh and my friend said "She says it's a lot like growing up in Minnetonka".

And just so people know, a lot of people when they hear the place name "Minnetonka" think of "Lake Minnetonka" but no part of the city of Minnetonka actually borders on the lake.

Wayzata, Deephaven, Woodland, now there are some fancy places. I read on a real estate site that Woodland (south side of Wayzata Bay) is one of the 50 highest income areas of the United States, but if you go across the bay from there to the Ferndale area of Wayzata, that's where you have your actual palaces.

Anyway Lake Minnetonka is a damn nice place with a lot of very interesting history and while I do not miss much about Minneapolis proper since I left there 12 years ago, I do miss the lake, I could get homesick for the lake and especially for the frozen lake in the winter, we don't get that here on the NW coast of Washington.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrol View Post
We've decided! Eden Prairie here we come!

More house for our money, good schools, express buses to Downtown in less than 30 mins, parks, lakes, and according to Money Magazine, in 2010 was voted the best place to live in all of the US.

Every avenue we tried to explore with Minnetonka, it just didn't work. From a decent affordable house (impossible with our budget) to commute time, school zones, distance to gym etc, we just couldn't make it work, there was always a road block with something..........

Eden Prairie on the other hand, everything has just fallen into place. It's seems perfect!

Now to find a rental for 9 months until we build up enough credit history to get a loan from the bank......boo!
Good luck with the move, I hope Eden Prairie works out great for you! I remember it when it was very wooded and rural before they put in all the big box retail and made the strange roads they have there, but if you never knew it they way it was before they bulldozed everything, you wouldn't know the difference I guess. It used to be an extremely beautiful area and now it's all built up. I'm glad they have some transit for you though, that is certainly lacking in Minnetonka.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,223,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail-to-Rail View Post

And just so people know, a lot of people when they hear the place name "Minnetonka" think of "Lake Minnetonka" but no part of the city of Minnetonka actually borders on the lake.
The city of Minnetonka actually does have a small Lake Minnetonka border on the south and east sides of Grays Bay... the dotted line in the picture below is the city border...

There was a Lake Minnetonka Patch article today about the City of Minnetonka possibly changing their "dangerous weapons" ban to match bow fishing laws with the rest of Lake Minnetonka.

Lake Minnetonka Cities Take New Look at Bow Fishing Restrictions - Government - Lake Minnetonka, MN Patch

Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,457,200 times
My sister has spent most of her life in Minnetonka. She was an IT professional, so she never wanted for money. But I guess she was pretty average for her neighborhood. But, hey, I think Eden Prairie will work great for a lot of people. I don't see how you'll want for anything important. I've driven through there for various purposes. They have huge retail developments, but they also have winding roads and rolling hills. And winning high school teams (not that that matters!)

Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
The city of Minnetonka actually does have a small Lake Minnetonka border on the south and east sides of Grays Bay... the dotted line in the picture below is the city border...

There was a Lake Minnetonka Patch article today about the City of Minnetonka possibly changing their "dangerous weapons" ban to match bow fishing laws with the rest of Lake Minnetonka.

Lake Minnetonka Cities Take New Look at Bow Fishing Restrictions - Government - Lake Minnetonka, MN Patch
Oh cool, thanks for posting that aerial shot and for the lake border info. It's been a while, I didn't realize we did abut on Gray's Bay. I guess I knew we had the Minnehaha dam.

I grew up just south of Gray's Bay, just south of where that picture cuts off, you see Libb's Lake in the picture, I swam there all summer and skated there all winter when we were little kids.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,826,412 times
im ok with you living in eden prairie. its 80 percent white and the state is 86.9 percent white, so you are living in a more diverse area then the norm.

your initial spot minnetonka is 89 white, which is higher than the state average.

eden prairie is a good move, i think youll like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota