U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,073 times

Advertisements

Mankato is an extremely expensive town to live in, it is very on par if not more expensive than the MPS/St Paul metro area. There are 4 colleges there: SouthCentral, Rasmussen, Bethany, and Minnesota State (aka Mankato State to those of us that have lived here awhile) and as such rentals and home prices are high.

I work in Jackson for a tractor company that is one of the fastest growing companies in the US for a small town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 5,817,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sominnguy View Post
Mankato is an extremely expensive town to live in, it is very on par if not more expensive than the MPS/St Paul metro area. There are 4 colleges there: SouthCentral, Rasmussen, Bethany, and Minnesota State (aka Mankato State to those of us that have lived here awhile) and as such rentals and home prices are high.

I work in Jackson for a tractor company that is one of the fastest growing companies in the US for a small town.
I find it hard to believe Mankato is more expensive or even equally expensive as the Minneapolis/St. Paul region. It is the first time I have heard that. I am reasonably certain it will be more expensive than Marshall, though. The best advice is to seek out realtors/realty companies and most have excellent online resources to find that information.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 59,127,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I find it hard to believe Mankato is more expensive or even equally expensive as the Minneapolis/St. Paul region. It is the first time I have heard that. I am reasonably certain it will be more expensive than Marshall, though. The best advice is to seek out realtors/realty companies and most have excellent online resources to find that information.
Rent might be expensive, housing is no where near what it is in the Twin Cities. I just checked Craigslist, not even CLOSE to being as expensive as the TC Metro. Apartments in the $350-850 range, houses in the $850-1300 range for rentals. Houses for sale are about $100,000 less then what you would find a similar house for in the metro.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:32 PM

32,840 posts, read 3,569,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
First let your Mother find her own job after that you need to understand that no matter how much you don't want to struggle, you are going to struggle unless you are already established with a company that pays well, that will help you transfer to the state you want to live in and will help pay for your tuition.
Best advice and comment so far.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,377 times
I agree with the last two posts regarding living near Rochester or Mankato. They are the nearest "recreational" towns near Albert Lea, so Ive been to both frequently. I would have to agree that it would be a good idea to look into beign closer to one of those places. Any ideas on towns near them? I lived in Waterville as a child and enjoyed it, however, I think Waseca and that area are perhaps similar to Albert Lea in how "dead" they are. Any thoughts?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:57 PM

14,870 posts, read 20,457,252 times
Waseca is probably my favorite small town in that area. not dead at all

Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM

4,347 posts, read 6,107,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sominnguy View Post

Jackson is a gorgeous little town. Even though it's relatively small, it's got most everything you need. It has a very vibrant industrial park as well as a technical community college. Looking for things to do? The Iowa Great Lakes are right across the state border. A very nice larger community of Fairmont is only about 25 miles away and 30 miles east is Worthington (though this town is kind of a dump now). You're also only 90 miles from Sioux Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota