Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 PM

18 posts, read 57,608 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a seventeen-year-old student from Cannon Falls, MN, and I vacation regularly every summer in Marcell, Minnesota, a small town (pop. 300-something) 30-miles north of Grand Rapids. I would love to live up there, as I absolutely love it! The small town feel, the woods, etc.

I am hoping to be a teacher, so I'm thinking I could live in Marcell and commute to either Bigfork High School or Grand Rapid High School.

But, I only vacation up there, so I never get the chance to feel what it's like to live up there 24/7. Are there any people on this forum who are familar with Marcell on a more day-to-day basis? Anyone on this forum who actually lives in Marcell?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 04:06 PM

571 posts, read 2,524,360 times
Hi,

I live in the Grand Rapids area (about 15 minutes outside of town). While I'm originally from Duluth, we moved here from Colorado Springs, so it was a pretty big change for us!

Though I don't live in Marcell (we go up to that area a lot to camp and stuff though), I can probably give you a pretty good idea of what it's like to live "up north." I'm not sure exactly what kind of information you're looking for, but here are some random thoughts:

As you can imagine, the winters are longer here than in southern MN. Can be great if you love winter sports, but can be a drag if you tend to get spring fever. Being in a more rural area, it also takes them longer sometimes to plow/maintain the roads in the winter. While you don't absolutely NEED a 4WD, it really does make life a lot easier...but of course you'll spend more money in gas too (unless you can afford a "winter" truck/suv and a "summer" car.) It also depends where you live...we live on a hill on a private road that we have to plow ourselves, so we really do *need* a 4WD.

The people around here are, as a whole, friendly, down to earth, etc. as you would imagine. They're very much into their hunting/fishing/snowmobiling, etc., so if you're coming with strong animal rights and/or "extreme" enviornmental views (of course there's a difference between being conservation-minded and "extreme"), you may be met with some resistance. And as with any town that small, of course, you'll have to be prepared to be the "outsider" for a while.

In my opinion though, this is a great place to live. It's safe, beautiful and if you're into the outdoors, there's lots to do. So many beautiful lakes around here...we've been here for over 3 years and still haven't even scratched the sruface! And when you want some "civilization", Grand Rapids actually has a lot for a town of its size....it's nice to be able to go shop at Target, catch a movie or eat some Mexican food after a long day of playing in the woods

FYI: teaching jobs are pretty competitive around here. It took my husband a couple of years to get a permanent teaching job even though he came here with 7 years of experience. The job he finally landed had like 100 applicants! Of course you'll have better luck if you teach in a high demand area like math, science or special education. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota