Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,369,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -
Minnesota is ranked No. 1 in the nation in the ACT college admission test for the eighth straight year.

While Massachusetts can claim the top composite score of 24.1 out of a possible 36, only 22 percent of the state's high school graduates took the ACT. In Minnesota, 74 percent of students took the test, with a composite score of 23.

In 2013, 39 percent of Minnesota seniors were rated proficient on the ACT, compared with 36 percent last year.

Minnesota No. 1 in ACT scores for 8th straight year - KMSP-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,439,100 times
Hey MN's brightest are VERY bright. Some of the others may not even take the test. They are already taking orders at McDonalds.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Hey MN's brightest are VERY bright. Some of the others may not even take the test. They are already taking orders at McDonalds.
75% of MN kids take the ACT....

Old 08-22-2013, 04:23 PM

Who knew we had so many optimists? I seriously don't think MN kids are that much smarter. But I ride public transit with them frequently. I guess most of the smart ones aren't there. The ones I see never find their fare before they have to deliver it. Nor do they seem to ever look at their transfers to check if they are expired. But I do have a niece in Indiana with a PhD in experimental psychology, so I have met a few of the brightest.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,507,444 times
Excellent! Another great thing about the state.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Who knew we had so many optimists? I seriously don't think MN kids are that much smarter. But I ride public transit with them frequently. I guess most of the smart ones aren't there. The ones I see never find their fare before they have to deliver it. Nor do they seem to ever look at their transfers to check if they are expired. But I do have a niece in Indiana with a PhD in experimental psychology, so I have met a few of the brightest.
Smarter, probably not, exposed to more material, better opportunities, you bet. Chatting with friends from around the country and the schools their kids when to, lack of opportunities, MN is heads and tails better than most states. Mass. is probably the only comparable state for test scores and outcomes. WI and IA are pretty good but still don't have as much going for them as MN and MA. Then you get into the southern states and quite frankly, the systems as a whole are a joke. There are schools here and there that are ok and while kids make their way through, they struggle into college because they didn't have the opportunities for the harder classes, the variety of classes, etc.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:37 PM

I think all the kids profit from being in school with the smarter kids. I sure did, though not here. They gave me models to help make my own decisions. I'd hate to be a kid in school in Alabama. Think of what an outsider you'd be if you didn't think "Roll Tide" was all you needed to say? Their football teams do better. Our schools do better. We are richer and more advanced. They have low taxes because "why do those schools need all that money?"

Old 08-25-2013, 02:34 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,148,611 times
Quote:
The fact is you can't deny the facts. Minnesota has been at or very near the top in ACT scores for years. A few kids on the transit system being careless about their fares/transfers happens everywhere. Just admit Minnesota's youth are smarter and better educated, but there are smart kids in other places, too.

Congrats to your niece in Indiana, too! I don't think anyone is implying that Minnesota is the only place to find well educated young people.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,148,611 times
Quote:
I think all the kids profit from being in school with the smarter kids. I sure did, though not here. They gave me models to help make my own decisions. I'd hate to be a kid in school in Alabama. Think of what an outsider you'd be if you didn't think "Roll Tide" was all you needed to say? Their football teams do better. Our schools do better. We are richer and more advanced. They have low taxes because "why do those schools need all that money?"
I couldn't agree more. Great point.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The fact is you can't deny the facts. Minnesota has been at or very near the top in ACT scores for years. A few kids on the transit system being careless about their fares/transfers happens everywhere. Just admit Minnesota's youth are smarter and better educated, but there are smart kids in other places, too.

Congrats to your niece in Indiana, too! I don't think anyone is implying that Minnesota is the only place to find well educated young people.
Till you've gone elsewhere to ride transit, don't make these facile assumptions. It does not happen everywhere. And it happens more now in the Twin Cities than several decades ago. I think juvenile intelligence has been sapped all over the country, and I think Minnesota has maintained its position by sliding less rapidly. There's no question in my mind that game consoles and idiot TV have made minds lazy. Game consoles do NOT lead to neurological development in the frontal lobes. They overdevelop hand-eye coordination at the expense of analytical thought.

Quote:
Kawashima made use of new techniques in computer imaging that can tell us which areas of the brain are being used in real time. Kawashima compared brain activity in children playing Nintendo games with brain activity in children doing an exercise called the Kraepelin test, which involves adding single-digit numbers continuously for 30 minutes. The Nintendo group was found to only be using parts of the brain associated with vision and movement, while the arithmetic group had activity throughout the left and right hemispheres of the frontal lobe - areas of the brain associated with learning, memory, emotion, and impulse control.
http://rense.com/general13/brain.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota