Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,054 times

Advertisements

I lived in St. Cloud for a year from Feb 2011-March 2012, and I still commute and work in and around the area.

If I were moving there with a family I would personally choose Sauk Rapids or Sartell, and maybe St. Joseph over living in St. Cloud itself. St. Cloud does have just about anything you'd be looking for as far as day to day living, but I find each of the towns I listed as being overall nicer places for a family. The major benefit in SC over the Minneapolis area is cost of living, but being a much smaller area your options are limited.

While Division street is kind of a nightmare, you can find similar type of stretches almost anywhere in a city of that size. In the last three years, I've noticed a lot of effort to make the downtown area nicer, so it's not like the city is dying. If I had any major complaints about Saint Cloud it'd be that there isn't a lot of character - mostly chains, and if you aren't from the area it's pretty hard to meet people.

As for commute to the cities, I live in Maple Grove right on the northern edge of Plymouth and get to St. Cloud exits in about 50 minutes every morning. From downtown St. Cloud/Sauk Rapids/Sartell to downtown Minneapolis you're looking at about an hour 15 depending on time of day and year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 PM

495 posts, read 684,658 times
I have lived here for 7 months now and one summer in 98. It has your typical collage town side affects. Downtown is full of drunken kids Thursday night thru sat night. The wages are lower because of the collage kids. There is a very large population of Somalis here. I don't mind refugees most of the time but not Somalis. There is a reason why you left Somalia, ITS A FAILED STATE. If you are a refugee you need to assimilate to our culture not recreate the failed state you left.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
I have lived in St Cloud for a year. There are good and not so good things about it. I don't think it is that scenic, but I don't really drive. I find myself missing Minneapolis and all her places to see.
What I like about St Cloud is that it is quiet and in my experience(I'm half Alaskan Native and half Hamburg German), the people are amazingly friendly and decent. I'm not saying that is going to be everyone's experience. I do miss the huge quantity and variety of people, from all over the world that you get in Minneapolis. I have traveled the world and enjoy different cultures.

I visited Minneapolis to take care of business last fall and after a day being there I was so relieved to get back to St Clouds quiet and her friendly people.

I think that if you are looking for a job, and found one where the hours are good for your family you should take it. Relationships are primary.

Last edited by dano5; 12-28-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
I suspect the view that St. Cloud is 'more scenic' has to do with the fact that it's pretty quick/easy to hop outside the city proper to the surrounding lake countryside. So if you like to do a lot of hunting/boating/fishing, it's much easier to jump out and do those things.

But it's also largely only one variety of scenic - flat wetlands with interspersed stands of trees for miles on end. The Mississippi valley adds some moderate terrain variation, but nothing as grand as what you'd see down around Red Wing or Winona. Ultimately it's what you value.

Different strokes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota