Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:56 PM

865 posts, read 2,495,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
Well Nurm, I'd say living in a frozen isolated parochial tundra.

The Midwest is an epitome of stagnation and cultural in-breeding... people are generally sloppy in the way they dress, eat, and talk. Dirty cars, big bellies and meaningless weather based conversations are a few staples of Midwestern culture.

Since I don't follow sports, I must be some sort of wierdo when people say "You didn't watch *the game*?!!! OH MY GOD! *slits wrists*"

Also (at the risk of sounding Grinch-esque) there's too many little kids for my liking.

That's what could be worse than living in an area full of people, which for me, tends to instill a natural brisk/frenetic energy which I enjoy. Although for these same reasons many people would want to live here (Ie: Well I have a mid-level job as a systems analyst making 90k a year, and I have a wife, but i can't afford a house and EVERYBODY NEEDS A HOUSE so I think I'll move to the midwest and live a life of mediocrity.)

That is my argument - but maybe I'm just cranky because I was forced to come back here for a month.

/end

Seems Monti is back to his same old arguments and Minnesota bashing. Stagnation and inbreeding? The upper midwest, on average, and MN in particular, tends to be more educated than the general US population. And while they are not ostentatious about their wealth, MN does pretty well in that regard as well. Don't mistake yuppie consumerism and driving a beemer for wealth - it may just be credit card debt!

Into the arts? Most national sources would rank Minneapolis / St. Paul ahead of most of "glorious" California. Into music and technology? Some of the top name companies in high end music recording are in MN (Roll, Great River, Savage Amps, etc.). Healthcare? MN is ahead of California there too.

Some of us prefer four seasons to smog and like a little space around us. Just because you require entertainment to be thrown at you with "frenetic energy" rather than making your own or enjoying a slower pace, don't take it out on MN.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 PM

175 posts, read 729,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Seems Monti is back to his same old arguments and Minnesota bashing. Stagnation and inbreeding? The upper midwest, on average, and MN in particular, tends to be more educated than the general US population. And while they are not ostentatious about their wealth, MN does pretty well in that regard as well. Don't mistake yuppie consumerism and driving a beemer for wealth - it may just be credit card debt!

Into the arts? Most national sources would rank Minneapolis / St. Paul ahead of most of "glorious" California. Into music and technology? Some of the top name companies in high end music recording are in MN (Roll, Great River, Savage Amps, etc.). Healthcare? MN is ahead of California there too.

Some of us prefer four seasons to smog and like a little space around us. Just because you require entertainment to be thrown at you with "frenetic energy" rather than making your own or enjoying a slower pace, don't take it out on MN.
This is a great response!!..The Twin Cities has a little of everything these days. What is in California is now here on some scale. Some people just let the cold weather blind them to the plethora of opportunities and stimulation here.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:40 AM

129 posts, read 662,128 times
Minnesota has great education and the best healthcare in the country.

What a draw! Especially since I hope to never have children...

I also understand that driving a BMW doesn't constitute wealth - it generally is a good way to spot trust fund babies, which you'll find anywhere (although I've seen slightly more in LA/SF, there were *MANY* in MN, because their parents moved there from someplace where they made money because of "quality of life" whatever that means)

Who would rank it ahead of CA? Where? How? HUH?

Maybe Needles, CA or Podunkmiddleofnowhere,CA

But certainly not SF or LA, sorry - and in reference to music, maybe there are some music technology based companies based there, but how about actual creatives? Since, let's be honest, it's the talent of the producers/artist that makes the music, not the equipment.

The predominant industry, more than twice as large as the next, is agriculture, (including fruit, vegetables, dairy, and wine). This is followed by aerospace; entertainment, primarily television by dollar volume, although many movies are still made in California; music production and recording studios; light manufacturing, including computer hardware and software.

Our gross state product is about $1.62 trillion, the largest in the United States. California is responsible for 13% of the United States gross domestic product. As of 2005, California's GDP is larger than all but seven countries in the world.

Sorry, but Minneapolis can't compare. The midwest has been in dire straights since the 60's, with only Chicago and Minneapolis as their shining stars, and Detroit as the bastard step-child that couldn't.

The skiing there is lame, and can't compare to Tahoe. You can't surf. The weather sucks. There are mosquitos. The housing costs are expensive compared to other parts in the midwest (WHY? I still don't get it, MN is not desirable)

Plus the yard work all year round (Shovel in the winter, rake in the fall, mow in the summer, clean up in spring from the other seasons..)

Also, I make 2 1/2 times what I did in Minneapolis - and I'm not paying significantly more for where I live (I rent a room in a house in SF) only 230 dollars more a month than in Minneapolis.

I can also go get any sort of food I want here, from Mexican to Greek to Korean, often-times cheaper than what was available at some ****ty chain restaurant in Poophole, MN.

I also don't have to own a car, I can simply take Muni or the bus line or sometimes the trolley anywhere I want, no dealing with traffic, no paying for gas (I get free pass on Public Transportation).

There is actually good shopping here - there's a Diesel flagship store, RVCA, John Bartlett, Buffalo, Morphine Generation... any sort of clothing I want there's a store just for it here.

I also don't get people staring at me constantly, possibly thinking I'm homosexual, for dressing fashionably (The dress code in MN is sweat pants and a sweat shirt with MINNESOTA emblazoned on the front, or if you're in highschool, the name of your school.. and don't forget the baseball cap)

It's alot easier to make friends here. In Minnesota I moved around 17 times, to 12 different areas of residence over my 18 years there. So I didn't get to grow up in one household like many kids my age there, so that whole "Minnesota reserved" thing was tough to deal with. Here, on my second day EVER in the SF area I went to the beach and met a about 10 people, four of which I still hang out with every week or so.

People are better at conversing here.

In MN "Hey so I heard der's a coldfront movin' in ya know? Didja hear da vikings won?"

I don't give a ****, sorry.

P.S. Yes I'm exaggerating the accent a little bit but MN does have one and it really is grating when you listen for it.

And there you have it. Why MN is inferior..

I look forward to your counterpoints.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Also SF and LA are much better at controlling crime than Minneapolis.

FOXNews.com - The Most, Least Dangerous U.S. Cities - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Damn, Murderapolis, right where it belongs, in the top 30 most dangerous cities in the country.

Scroll all the way up to find San Francisco...

I think I'll stay here:

Instead of here:

Last edited by monti; 12-11-2007 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM

539 posts, read 1,919,546 times
^ Cool picture of Minneapolis. Got anymore?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Fixed - I love it when pictures don't let you hotlink after 3 views...

Old 12-11-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
^ Cool picture of Minneapolis. Got anymore?
The only place that I have images of Minneapolis ingrained are in my nightmares.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:54 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,541,388 times
The only place you found a house in San Francisco was in the Tenderloin, and that was in comparison to Kenwood. But we are expensive in comparison to the Midwest. I guess we have it both ways, huh? You can't touch a house in that city for under $400,000. In Mpls. that would get you a large family home.
Our skiing is lame? Get over it. You knew that when you moved here. If you want a mountain get on a plane, it isn't like you can ski in Contra Costa County.
You can get plenty of different foods here. Eat Street? Dirty, hole-in-the-wall places where you can get cheap food are everywhere.
Minneapolis has good shopping. Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Saks, boutiques, designer storefronts. You would have to be Lauren himself to scoff at what Mpls. shopping has to offer.
Public transportation is not New York here, but San Francisco isn't that great. The bus system sucks in San Francisco. You get more suburban rail lines. Wow. Mpls. has a coherent urban transportation system. Its rail lines are growing. You can live without a car here also.
Nobody gives a damn how you dress. Don't be so vain. Some people dress nicely, others don't. Better a Univ. of Minn. sweatshirt than homeless, though. Everyone in Golden Gate Park was dressed to a T when I was there.
You are honestly comparing the number of foreign cars in Mpls. and Calif.? That is like comparing the number of non-rusted cars in Mpls. to the number of rusted pickups in Arkansas. Trust-fund children here drive Hondas.
Perhaps the Great State of Calif. is 13% of the GDP because the same percentage of Americans live in California. Huh?
Minneapolis' crime is down by upto 25% in some areas of the city, and is down overall. It is easier to be crime-free when nobody can afford to live in The City. Go drive around Richmond for a couple hours; tell me Minneapolis is such a hell-hole.
I like your little picture war; it compares a tourist-shot panorama of San Francisco to a half-picture of the Mpls. skyline from an industrial area on a snowy day. Wow. Maybe you should look up a picture of San Francisco from Mission Bay on a foggy day.
Many places have had hard times, The Midwest included. You can't make blanket statements about an entire region, though. Oakland has seen its day.
Musiclover is right -- you are angry.
Minnehahapolitan

Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 PM

Alright Miss

First of all, the TENDERLOIN?! When did I ever mention the Tenderloin? If that was your backwards ass way of asking where I decided to rent a room, the answer is Inner Richmond. Also, why would you compare housing costs for purchasing? Do you really expect an 18 year old to buy a house in either locale, especially when housing prices are taking a nose dive? Never try to catch a falling knife.

Skiing there is lame. Sorry, but it's a valid point, and something that people oftentimes look at when deciding where to live. Colorado's population is exploding right now for this very reason - milder winters and more accessible outdoor activity. Taking a plane ride isn't really a feasible option.

MN has the MOA and is actually one of the nicer places to shop in the Midwest. I'm just saying San Francisco is better. Profusely better.

As for food - I've eaten at a couple decent places in MN, a Lebanese restaurant in St. Paul for instance. San Francisco is the most diverse city in the US, beating out NYC. It simply has so many more hole in the wall places to eat, you never get bored going to the same old shack for the umpteenth time, unless you want to. You can always try something new.

Assuming you're not a housewife and you actually work - you mean to tell me you could take your commute without a car, all WINTER LONG? I'd love to hear about it, especially if you utilize the light rail and bus system and the.. oh wait that's it. The good ole ham-fisted Light rail that goes to maybe a total of 2 useful spots and the garbage bus line. Okay, go for it, in the freezing cold.

"Nobody gives a damn how you dress."

They do, they care if you dress nice there. That's a big frucking problem. They don't care about how they THEMSELVES dress.

Where did I compare the number of foreign cars? Please put the pipe down. If you were referencing what I said about the BMW, that was in answer to Music's post.

Perhaps the great state of California is 35 million strong because it's desirable. Always has been, always will be. Whether it was the gold, the weather, or a damn near constant stream of promotion through film, television and tabloids, California will always be much more desirable than anywhere in the Midwest, simply for many of the reasons I have argued above.

I'm not angry, just flexing my argumentative muscles and killing time while I'm back in town, because I was reminded about how much I disliked living here.

Anyways, I realized just now I left my face covered in a balaclava left on from outside, but maybe it was subconsciously to hide my embarrassment at being associated with such a complete incompetent such as yourself.

And please, for mine and the sake of these boards, next time you approach the keyboard and start hitting the keys randomly while making up nonsense in noisy, witless arguments fueled by high grade anti-psychotics, take a deep breath and relax. It's just a discussion.

best wishes

Last edited by monti; 12-12-2007 at 12:12 AM..

Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 PM

But guys, to be fair, it's all a matter of preference. I liken it to the fact that some of us would like to eat at Le Bernardin and some prefer White Castle. I guess I'm the former...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota