U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 PM

32,202 posts, read 3,007,535 times

Advertisements

Hello! Does anyone from the Rice/St. Cloud area have opinions about living on or near Little Rock Lake in Benton County? I became interested with that particular lake because it is close to St. Cloud (medical, shopping, etc.), it is close to family, it has the channel that goes to the Mississippi, and Rice/Little Rock Lake have MN POWER. I miss having MN Power and am tired of paying more than twice as much for electricity in non-MN Power regions (my experience, anyway).

When doing my research from 200 miles away Little Rock Lake looks like a place my husband and I can be happy. Most importantly it gets us 30 minutes from our grandchildren instead of FOUR hours. We want this to be our LAST move so any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Oh, we're retired so jobs and schools are not a concern for us. We will be visiting the area next month and will be looking at a few houses at that time.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Last edited by geebabe; 02-16-2014 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:38 AM

2,044 posts, read 4,540,218 times
I lived in St Cloud for 5 years and Annandale for 16 years. I now live In the twin cities and its much better.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
I lived in St Cloud for 5 years and Annandale for 16 years. I now live In the twin cities and its much better.
Alrighty then...I am asking about Little Rock Lake. Do you have any specifics on that?

Last edited by geebabe; 02-17-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 PM

15,411 posts, read 5,279,417 times
With jobs and schools no concern and being 30 minutes from the grandchildren instead of 4 hours, it is fairly close to a no brainer IMO. The only thing now is to find a home at a reasonable cost and that should be doable in that area I would think. St. Cloud is nearby and will probably have more amenities than your current location 200 miles north unless you are close to Duluth (then only slighty less). BTW, my Dad made a similar move to be much closer to his grandchildren about 15 years ago and never regretted it. Plus, a drive to the north country from there will be fairly easy.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,556,831 times
We just don't have many posters from the St. Cloud area on this board and those that are are early 20 ish people .

The Rice area has grown quite a bit over the last decade or so. Having highway 10 at 4 lanes has helped that growth. I've driven through the area many times and it's nice enough. Being close to St. Cloud, the colleges, etc. are all a big plus for the area. I guess I feel that it's all what you make of it. I know retired people in the St. Cloud area and they love living there. The senior community is huge with a lot of activities. They attend a lot of sporting events at the colleges, etc. I don't know what your interests are but there are a lot of golf courses in the area, senior centers, etc. too.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks chessgeek and golfgal.

I agree with what you said about St Cloud's positive points. I got to know the area a couple years ago when staying with family to help out for a year.

I noticed we can buy a place on Little Rock Lake for a reasonable price; it's like every price range is represented there. It just depends on how much work a person wants to do for those lower prices. We've never shied away from the work of fixer uppers and we're still young enough (57 & 61) to do home improvements...ONE more time.

Anyway, the reason I asked about Little Rock Lake is because years ago we lived across from a lake that was not so great and I wanted to know if Little Rock Lake was one that people like. I have gone to the DNR Lake Finder to read the specs and also the Little Rock Lake Association's webpage, but I also love reading people's own personal experiences. On paper that lake sounds like it's the one for us.

Thanks again!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 AM

3,438 posts, read 5,113,260 times
I no longer live ion MN as I relocated to Arkansas in 2012.

However, I am very familiar with that area having had a dairy farm about 30 miles away.

The location ( close to St Cloud and 4 lane Hwy 10 ) is great, however the lake itself had some serious problems just a few years ago. There was a stench and the nice beach ( Benton Beach) on the north side was closed for awhile.

The experts were looking into the cause of it and concluded it was a combination of septic systems and algae growth.
I hope the problem is now taken care of, but before you buy ........ask,ask,ask,,,,questions and talk to many people.

Little Rock Lake used to be a place I went to often in my younger days (40 years ago ) but problems have arisen.

I hope they are solved, but I would not take a realtor's word on it !

Last edited by Teddy52; 02-24-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I no longer live ion MN as I relocated to Arkansas in 2012.

However, I am very familiar with that area having had a dairy farm about 30 miles away.

The location ( close to St Cloud and 4 lane Hwy 10 ) is great, however the lake itself had some serious problems just a few years ago. There was a stench and the nice beach ( Benton Beach) on the north side was closed for awhile.

The experts were looking into the cause of it and concluded it was a combination of septic systems and algae growth.
I hope the problem is now taken care of, but before you buy ........ask,ask,ask,,,,questions and talk to many people.

Little Rock Lake used to be a place I went to often in my younger days (40 years ago ) but problems have arisen.

I hope they are solved, but I would not take a realtor's word on it !
Teddy52 - Thank you so much for your response and insight. This was the type of thing I was hoping to hear about - be it good or bad - to hear the "insider" scoop. I am going down to the area for a visit soon and will see a lot of folks from the St Cloud area. I will pick their brain for any information about that lake. I don't know anyone that actually lives on the lake though.

I once lived very close to a lake in Ottertail County that had a bad reputation for water quality - they said don't swim in it or you'll get a rash! And it has a couple resorts on it! I also lived across the street from a lake in Carlton County that, in the '90s had the septic system problem like you mentioned. I also knew, and saw with my own eyes, a car mechanic letting motor oil seep in the ground...he lived on the lake. (I believe the county got an anonymous call about him.)

So, the more I've been thinking about it this winter the more risky it sounds to live on a lake unless you really know the lake well. It's not like I'm rich. I had gotten curious about Little Rock Lake because there are some places within our price range. Of course, those are probably the places that need new septic systems!! And I can't forget the wells!

I also have to wonder how upfront the lake association there would be to my inquiries. Anyway, thanks again for the useful information.

Last edited by geebabe; 02-24-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,616,818 times
My brother and his family live on Little Rock lake just off of Hwy 10. They seem to love it and we enjoy going down to visit them. He has two little boys and they spend a lot of time on the lake. I am sending a PM to you.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
My brother and his family live on Little Rock lake just off of Hwy 10. They seem to love it and we enjoy going down to visit them. He has two little boys and they spend a lot of time on the lake. I am sending a PM to you.
Thank you so much, freezengirl!! Great information. I sent you a PM, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota