Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:38 PM

11 posts, read 13,713 times

Advertisements

We are looking for kindergarten before we move there.
Anything advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
In MN children need to be 5 by Sept 1st to enroll in kindergarten. Some schools may test children that are close to that cut off date but they would have to be exceptional or if they are enrolled in kindergarten in another state that allows 4 year olds to be in kindergarten they can transfer in. Personally, I wouldn't rush it. It's no fun being the youngest in the class.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
In MN children need to be 5 by Sept 1st to enroll in kindergarten. Some schools may test children that are close to that cut off date but they would have to be exceptional or if they are enrolled in kindergarten in another state that allows 4 year olds to be in kindergarten they can transfer in. Personally, I wouldn't rush it. It's no fun being the youngest in the class.
I agree with that our twin boys turned 5 in Feb and are in 3 afternoons/per week school district pre-school. That is enough for them....

Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 AM

127 posts, read 337,389 times
Quote:
Why is that? I was the youngest in class and it never bothered me. Graduated w/ honors as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
To where in Minnesota are you moving?

To add to GolfGal's note about the age deadline, Minnesota now funds all-day kindergarten in the public schools (in the past, all day was available in many (most?) schools; half-day was free and full-day had an additional cost to families … I think it was about $350 per month per child in South Washington School District (833) a few years ago). Even with that cost to families, most families I know in the Twin Cities (metro and 'burbs) opted for full-day.

More information at All-day kindergarten booming, but should schools have flexibility? - TwinCities.com .

Old 02-25-2014, 09:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Keep in mind that even if you do get permission to put your child in kindergarten before he or she turns five, most of the other kids will be five -- and a sizable percentage will have already turned (or will soon turn) six. I know this is purely anecdotal, but as the parent of a young child in Minnesota myself, I know many parents who chose to hold off on school for their summer birthday kids, while I can't think of any parents -- even those with kids with birthdays very near the September cut-off -- who petitioned to have their children into kindergarten early. In other words, in the average Minnesota kindergarten classroom at the start of school I think the odds are that you'll find find far more 6 year old kids than 4 year old kids (and, of course, mostly 5 year olds). Whether that matters is up to you to decide.

That said, even if you do decide to wait on school until age 5, it is, of course, wise to choose your location with school in mind. Luckily there are lots of good options in the state, so you can really focus in first on other issues -- where will you be working, budget, neighborhood preference, etc. -- and then start to narrow your focus on schools. If you have wish list items like specific types of schools (language immersion, Montessori, etc.), that could also help you to narrow down the list a bit.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 AM

Question Kindergarten for 4 years old

Quote:
Thank you for the reply golfgal.
Actually, I am not in a hurry for my baby to kindergarten.
It should be preschool ( but not day care ).
We checked Kinerberry hill/ Mini apple and New Horizen but we think it is better to hear some advices.
Anything is helpful and sourceful.

Thank you.

Last edited by gww007; 02-26-2014 at 12:58 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Keep in mind that even if you do get permission to put your child in kindergarten before he or she turns five, most of the other kids will be five -- and a sizable percentage will have already turned (or will soon turn) six. I know this is purely anecdotal, but as the parent of a young child in Minnesota myself, I know many parents who chose to hold off on school for their summer birthday kids, while I can't think of any parents -- even those with kids with birthdays very near the September cut-off -- who petitioned to have their children into kindergarten early. In other words, in the average Minnesota kindergarten classroom at the start of school I think the odds are that you'll find find far more 6 year old kids than 4 year old kids (and, of course, mostly 5 year olds). Whether that matters is up to you to decide.

That said, even if you do decide to wait on school until age 5, it is, of course, wise to choose your location with school in mind. Luckily there are lots of good options in the state, so you can really focus in first on other issues -- where will you be working, budget, neighborhood preference, etc. -- and then start to narrow your focus on schools. If you have wish list items like specific types of schools (language immersion, Montessori, etc.), that could also help you to narrow down the list a bit.
Totally agree with you Uptown_urbanist.
I will not push my baby to kindergarten that was my bad. It should be preschool instead.
My babay has been studying in Montessori perschool for 2 years.
Actually, we will firstly select perschool for my kid then we will find a good place for family-living.
Personally, we perfer to find an apartment with 2 beds room and 1 bath.
Do you agree that it is better be a little be far away from students area which usually are more energetic during the evening.As you mentioned neighbourhood preference must be considered.
Anyway, we put the preschool on the top list before selecting apartment.

Thank you.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I agree with that our twin boys turned 5 in Feb and are in 3 afternoons/per week school district pre-school. That is enough for them....

Could you please share the pre-school name for reference if you do not' mind ?

Thank you.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 AM

Talking Kindergarten for 4 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotz90s View Post
Why is that? I was the youngest in class and it never bothered me. Graduated w/ honors as well.
You are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota