Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeachie View Post
Starting more in depth research about the area. DH would be working "downtown" which compared to Richmond, Virginia isn't really downtown.

Let me tell you about our family and then you can tell me what you think and maybe suggest areas to check out.

DH has been for a work related trip and said that the people are very friendly. The cost of living is lower than Richmond area.

We homeschool our oldest two but we were considering putting our almost 5 year old in public kindergarten this fall. He has some special needs and attends private OT. We are in the process of having things evaluated for public school supports.

We adopted him as a newborn and he is biracial. We know that the diversity we would find there isn't near what we have found here. This is a huge sticking point to me and my husband.

Our almost 4 year old has speech issues following being intubated and sedated in an emergency situation-- so I'm worried about moving him from his beloved speech therapist. We are also having him evaluated through this school system. I'm not sure how transferring all of that would work.

We are a "large" family (in quotes because we have a small family compared to many of our friends) and I'm a SAHM that is also a full time student-- Online.

We are a conservative (but loving, get along with almost everyone) Christian family. In Georgia, we were members of a very large Southern Baptist church but we've recently left the denomination for a non-denominational small church. The diversity in our church is unlike anything we have ever found before.

I'm also worried about the weather. I do love the sun. LOL Bright sunny days make me happy. My children don't ice skate/play hockey (which is all my husband's coworkers talked about in their free time. LOL) We are more of a football/basketball family. We have attended a minor league hockey game and we thought that was fun.

We do spend a good portion of our winter at our family Y, using the indoor pool, working out and letting the kids burn off energy.

We'd also be giving up access to Busch Gardens for spring/summer though and the DC Zoo. Our whole recreation category looks like it would have to change if we moved.

OH! Another big thing is that we deal with multiple food allergies in our family. Living in Richmond metro, we have excellent access to specialty foods (coconut milk, coconut yogurt, etc.) A friend said that I would probably have no issue finding these items in Minneapolis and that it isn't a "hard" drive to make.

Thoughts?

If you live there (or nearby) tell me why you love it and what your favorite things are to do.
Wow!

Your child being bi-racial shouldn't be a problem at all. Don't worry about racism.

Minnesota is a cold state, but it's not a cloudy one. Many of the coldest days, in fact, are accompanied by brilliant, clear skies. It's like a summer day, except you walk out and are greeted by a -30 wind chill and snow (and the reflection off the snow makes it seem even sunnier!)

It's warm (70s, 80s, occasional 90s) in the summer and almost ideal for physical fitness in the first half of fall.

As for Busch Gardens and the DC Zoo, there's Valleyfair and the Minnesota Zoo, both in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis (maybe an hour from St. Cloud). There's also Nickelodeon World or whatever it is now in the Mall of America for rides. The Minnesota State Fair only goes on for two weeks, but that's an event that cannot be missed.

You will surely be able to find your food products in St. Cloud. If not, there's always Minneapolis and its suburbs. If anything, you will probably be able to make a short drive into the suburbs to get whatever your heart desires.

My favorite things to do in the warm season are to hike, to geocache, to DX, and to swim, especially in Lake Superior (not for everyone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM

40 posts, read 113,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Wow!

Your child being bi-racial shouldn't be a problem at all. Don't worry about racism.

Minnesota is a cold state, but it's not a cloudy one. Many of the coldest days, in fact, are accompanied by brilliant, clear skies. It's like a summer day, except you walk out and are greeted by a -30 wind chill and snow (and the reflection off the snow makes it seem even sunnier!)

It's warm (70s, 80s, occasional 90s) in the summer and almost ideal for physical fitness in the first half of fall.

As for Busch Gardens and the DC Zoo, there's Valleyfair and the Minnesota Zoo, both in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis (maybe an hour from St. Cloud). There's also Nickelodeon World or whatever it is now in the Mall of America for rides. The Minnesota State Fair only goes on for two weeks, but that's an event that cannot be missed.

You will surely be able to find your food products in St. Cloud. If not, there's always Minneapolis and its suburbs. If anything, you will probably be able to make a short drive into the suburbs to get whatever your heart desires.

My favorite things to do in the warm season are to hike, to geocache, to DX, and to swim, especially in Lake Superior (not for everyone).
That is good to hear! I'm fine as long as I see a sunny sky. I could NOT live in Washington State for example. I'd curl up, wither away and die. (Only exaggerating a bit. )

We are waiting on specifics but this looks like a go!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 PM

67 posts, read 67,977 times
Quote:
Can anyone help me out with reputable home builder recommendations?
My business partner and his wife have used Lumber One (Avon, MN) for their last two homes.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
We are a conservative (but loving, get along with almost everyone) Christian family. In Georgia, we were members of a very large Southern Baptist church but we've recently left the denomination for a non-denominational small church. The diversity in our church is unlike anything we have ever found before.
The majority of the SC metro area is German/Catholic. But the non-denominational church scene is booming. You will have no problem finding a church of like-minded people.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 PM

298 posts, read 750,702 times
The main hospital called "St. Cloud Hospital" just finished a massive expansion and is pleasantly unrecognizable from what it looked like a couple years ago nestled on the banks of the Mississippi River blocks north of downtown. "Centra Care" another major health care system in St. Cloud has just built a beautiful new facility along MN Highway 15 and Stearns County Road 120 along the Sauk River, and Health Partners of Central Minnesota has their main clinic in the Whitney Park neighborhood adjacent to St. Cloud Community and Technical College. The VA hospital on the cities north side is great.

Minnesota schools allow you to open enroll if you live outside the district. Sartell schools, the best district in central MN is closed to open enrollment. However, both the St. Cloud I.S.D. #742 district and the Sauk Rapids - Rice School District welcome open enrollment. Having: St. Cloud State University ; St. Johns University and the College of St. Benedict right there in the St. Cloud Metro really benefits all the school district's in Central Minnesota.

An earlier post correctly mentioned Lumber One as a very good home builder; another one is Matthew Hall Lumber. I don't know if the Torborg Family still builds homes in "The Granite City" of St. Cloud or not? They were reputable too. I would check with the "Central Minnesota Builders Association" for a complete list of licensed builders and contractors. A descent number of new apartments have been built in the past few years which may be a good way for you to take six-months to one-year to familiarize yourself with the area (what you like, don't like) then decide where to build a house.

As far as shopping goes, financial services, restaurants, entertainment, everything needed on a weekly basis will be found along the two main east-west roads: Division Street and 2nd Street South which parallel each other. Every 2-to 3 months you may want to drive the 65-miles east on Interstate 94 to Minneapolis and St. Paul to get the major city experience you presently get in Washington DC.

I have family members who have resided in Richmond, VA for decades so I've made the 110-mile drive on I-95 many times between our nations capitol and Richmond.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 PM

413 posts, read 763,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Wow!

I really, really hate to say this, but you're wrong. St. Cloud has had a recent history of racist incidents and hate crimes. A simple google search of St. Cloud racism will bring up quite a few unpleasant incidents over the last decade or more. By no means am I painting the city as a bunch of torch wielding klansmen, but there have been some fairly serious problems there over the years.

Minnesota has a reputation as being fairly insular and provincial, some of it justified, some a stereotype, but the area around Stearns County and St. Cloud is even worse. Not just in the "it's hard to make friends in Minnesota" way, but in the "we don't like outsiders or anything different from us" kind of way.

Not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but there have been problems.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
I really, really hate to say this, but you're wrong. St. Cloud has had a recent history of racist incidents and hate crimes. A simple google search of St. Cloud racism will bring up quite a few unpleasant incidents over the last decade or more. By no means am I painting the city as a bunch of torch wielding klansmen, but there have been some fairly serious problems there over the years.

Minnesota has a reputation as being fairly insular and provincial, some of it justified, some a stereotype, but the area around Stearns County and St. Cloud is even worse. Not just in the "it's hard to make friends in Minnesota" way, but in the "we don't like outsiders or anything different from us" kind of way.

Not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but there have been problems.
The "city" has not had issues, they have had some issues with some students at SCSU.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,152 times
Yuck St Cloud. Don't miss it since moving to the cities (minneapolis/st paul area) at the beginning of 2014.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM

413 posts, read 763,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The "city" has not had issues, they have had some issues with some students at SCSU.
You believe what you want.

St. Cloud's history of friction with outsiders | Minnesota Public Radio News

MPR: "It's just a shunning experience"

Old 04-04-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Like the "Swastika bandit"? It was some kid in the dorms playing a prank. The media tried to make SCSU look like Auschwitz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota