Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 AM

143 posts, read 476,377 times

Advertisements

There are similarities between MN and Canada, but Canada is a big country.

I travel to Canada frequently for work, and lived in the suburbs of Toronto for a 6-month stint. There are indeed many similarities, but don't come here thinking we speak exactly the same or have all their traits. They do call carbonated beverages "pop" just as we do -- so there is that.

Man, I sure could go for a Coffee Crisp right about now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,687,456 times
All I know is that I've lived and travelled all over the world. Often, when I meet a Canadian, I feel an immediate connection with them--there's something familiar that's hard to put into words.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 PM

413 posts, read 760,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
All I know is that I've lived and travelled all over the world. Often, when I meet a Canadian, I feel an immediate connection with them--there's something familiar that's hard to put into words.
When I go to Canada, the people in general are as friendly as anywhere I've visited.

When I've traveled elsewhere, like say, Europe, Canadian travelers are unbelievably arrogant and snotty. I have no idea why.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,069,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
When I've traveled elsewhere, like say, Europe, Canadian travelers are unbelievably arrogant and snotty. I have no idea why.
It's because they don't want to be associated with or mistaken for Americans when abroad.

To add to that, there's a widespread sentiment in Canada that everything they think and do is superior to the Americans, whether it be politics, business, or social issues. When someone from overseas assumes them to be one of us, there's a knee-jerk instinct to disparage their southern neighbor and distance themselves from Americans as a whole because they aren't the ignorant, morbidly-obese, bible-thumping, walmart-shopping, war-mongering right-wing conservatives.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 PM

413 posts, read 760,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
It's because they don't want to be associated with or mistaken for Americans when abroad.

To add to that, there's a widespread sentiment in Canada that everything they think and do is superior to the Americans, whether it be politics, business, or social issues. When someone from overseas assumes them to be one of us, there's a knee-jerk instinct to disparage their southern neighbor and distance themselves from Americans as a whole because they aren't the ignorant, morbidly-obese, bible-thumping, walmart-shopping, war-mongering right-wing conservatives.
I knew that, but the irony is that while being rude to everyone, they constantly wear the maple leaf on their clothes, bags etc. to advertise that they're Canadians...

Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

True. This does happen.

And I've found that my friends and family from MN have the EXACT same sense of superiority towards my state of residence for the last 12 years, TX. Without ever having been there, they already "know" that everyone in TX is an anti-evolution, gas-burning, oil-rich, braggart with a cowboy hat. Everyone is EXACTLY like Rick Perry (just don't suggest that they're anything like Michelle Bachmann).

Reality is always more complex than such stereotypes and generalizations would have you believe. It's fun to educate the inexperienced though!

Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,033,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
True. This does happen.

And I've found that my friends and family from MN have the EXACT same sense of superiority towards my state of residence for the last 12 years, TX. Without ever having been there, they already "know" that everyone in TX is an anti-evolution, gas-burning, oil-rich, braggart with a cowboy hat. Everyone is EXACTLY like Rick Perry (just don't suggest that they're anything like Michelle Bachmann).

Reality is always more complex than such stereotypes and generalizations would have you believe. It's fun to educate the inexperienced though!
Minnesotans are like that about Minnesotans, too. Everyone here "knows" that people in Edina are snobs and that uptown is filled with hipsters and that their school district is the best and their kid is above average but not too far above average because that would make them weird.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Minnesotans are like that about Minnesotans, too. Everyone here "knows" that people in Edina are snobs and that uptown is filled with hipsters and that their school district is the best and their kid is above average but not too far above average because that would make them weird.
While I'm sure that happens at times, you are (ironically) stereotyping about Minnesotans (as having some inborn proclivity for stereotyping). Minnesotans are hardly unique in this regard. Human beings, wherever they come from, are fond of generalizations. It's a survival tactic. Yes, I'm stereotyping humans.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:32 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,753,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMidwesterner View Post
How similar do you think Minnesota is to Canada? What province is it most like? Is Minneapolis similar to Winnipeg? Is Duluth the American equivalent of Thunder Bay? Are the people equally as friendly?
Bear in mind that Canada is far more extensive than the area between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay.

There's not much geographic resemblance between Minnesota and Vancouver Island or the Canadian Rockies or Baffin Island. And Calgary and the Montreal and the Maritimes aren't culturally much like Minnesota - or, certainly less so than other American areas nearer to those Canadian areas.

Does Minnesota's North Shore resemble Ontario's North Shore in many ways? Sure. And the prairie south of the border is a lot like the prairie north of the border. But given the similarities of our national origins, it is to be expected that nearby areas of the two countries will have a fair degree of things in common.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:00 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,070,462 times
Northern Ontario is a lot more remote than Northern Minnesota, that's for sure. The majority of it doesn't even have roads.

Same with Manitoba, at least southeastern Manitoba. For example, once you turn off the Trans-Canada Highway onto MB 308, there is absolutely nothing but trees for 60 miles...at which point you are close to the Minnesota - Manitoba border. The exception, of course, is Winnipeg.

I visited Winnipeg for the first time last year, and my major observation was how many strip malls they packed in such little land! That and the Forks, which are pretty cool. I also went to Lake Winnipeg...again, utter desolation until you reach the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota