Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:58 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,214,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhartong View Post
My husband and I are considering the purchase of a retirement/vacation home in northern Minnesota on 20 or more acres of land. For a variety of reasons, we don't want hunters or snowmobilers using the property. I understand that when land ownership changes hands, things can get unpleasant if people already living in the area have become accustomed to hunting or snowmobiling on the property and suddenly find themselves unwelcome. I don't want bad relations with my new neighbors -- but neither do I want to feel like I have to compromise on this. I'm wondering about the effectiveness of "no hunting - no trespassing" signs. Do any of you now living in rural areas have experience with this sort of thing? I understand that hunting and snowmobiling are a BIG deal in northern Minnesota!

Thanks for any ideas any of you might have.
Try not to buy land that currently has a snowmobile trail crossing it through a land use agreement with the current property owner. Having to re-route snowmobile trails really sucks for the snowmobile clubs and trail associations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,110,788 times
I ,actually, wouldn't mind an official snowmobile trail running through my property.
Better to have 1 trail (that snowmobilers observe) than numerous trails that the individual decides on.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,773,946 times
Just yesterday afternoon-we were home-looked out our front window and there were tracks all over our front lawn-not the ditch either. i want to notify the sheriiff's office but hubby said he will talk to offender's father today. We'll see.

As I stated earlier-we are in a development-an upscale area, corner lot and only 1/2 acre. I know for a fact this clown doesn't ride thru his property to the woods behind him.

The lack of respect is what galls me.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 68,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Try not to buy land that currently has a snowmobile trail crossing it through a land use agreement with the current property owner. Having to re-route snowmobile trails really sucks for the snowmobile clubs and trail associations.
That's excellent advice. Thanks! I hadn't even considered this possibility -- I would imagine the same sort of thing might exist for local "hunting clubs"? Are there such things?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 AM

36 posts, read 99,202 times
WOW!

More weird changes in MN. I don't think I knew anyone who didn't own and operate a snowmobile. These people seemed to me to be most respectful of nature and private property. Although I'm not a fan of hunting, it's HUGE up there. The few times I went hunting, the folks I was with were very concerned about other peoples peace and right to privacy. This was about 25 years ago and is yet another symptom of changes in our society and none of these changes seem any good to me.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,081,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
WOW!

More weird changes in MN. I don't think I knew anyone who didn't own and operate a snowmobile. These people seemed to me to be most respectful of nature and private property. Although I'm not a fan of hunting, it's HUGE up there. The few times I went hunting, the folks I was with were very concerned about other peoples peace and right to privacy. This was about 25 years ago and is yet another symptom of changes in our society and none of these changes seem any good to me.

It is not a change in MN, she is having problems with ONE person. I have never, in all my years living in MN, seen someone ride their snowmobile in a housing development on other people's yards.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,214,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is not a change in MN, she is having problems with ONE person. I have never, in all my years living in MN, seen someone ride their snowmobile in a housing development on other people's yards.
I have not either.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,110,788 times
The last 2 posters must not have watched KSTP tv news a couple nights ago.
They showed people in the metro who have put barricades and rope up to keep snowmobilers off their lawn. It was the lead story on the news.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM

865 posts, read 2,492,398 times
It's not just a change in MN, but in attitudes and behavior nationally. It just strikes a deeper nerve in MN because you'd like to believe people there have more respect for each other than that. This is not meant as a knock on MN, I'd like to be able to move there for precisely this reason and more. But our nation is suffering from a "me first" attitude and sense of entitlement that started somewhere back in about the 70's and has continually gotten worse. I say this even though I am very liberal and progressive in my politics and beliefs. A good proper upbringing and reserved/polite Scandinavian heritage kept MN insulated for a while, but no more!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,773,946 times
Sorry I didn't catch that story of KSTP.

Update-husband went down to offender's house (told him he really wouldn't want me to go!). Guy said he understood-all fine and well til night before last. Tracks all over front lawn (not ditch). Next year large signs of all corners of property-it is so sad to have to do this. I personally feel "violated" and don't know why except we are the corner property with an empty field next to and behind us-so apparently the shortcut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota