U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM

336 posts, read 499,867 times
My husband was potentially looking at a job down there & we were looking into the Spirit Lake, Iowa area. Might be another thought depending on where you are commuting too. Personally, we were not comfortable with Worthington either.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 AM

311 posts, read 399,225 times
I would avoid ANY meat packing town.And Marshall stinks because of the putrid corn plant.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,368,590 times
Meat packing plant and poultry processing plant towns=illegals

Examples.........Worthington,Willmar, Melrose, Long Prairie, Pelican Rapids

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 AM

4,927 posts, read 8,145,046 times
This thread just goes to show how some people are unable to adjust to the introduction to diversity. Although I haven't been to Worthington, I would be willing to bet that these accounts of gang bangers, etc. are highly exaggerated. You see a couple kids walking around in baggy clothes and speaking Spanish and suddenly you think the place is overrun with MS-13's and Latin Kings...ya shuuure.

As to the people complaining about being made fun of for not speaking Spanish, do yourself a favor and learn some Spanish. Most people in my neighborhood have made the effort to pick up basic Spanish and it goes a long way with communicating with neighbors and local business owners and associates. It just takes a little effort on your part.

We did drive through all those small towns off of I-90 this weekend and I appreciated that on the stretch between Worthington and Albert Lea we picked up a few Spanish radio stations. It's nice to have some variety between all of the country and oldies stations.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrjenny View Post
I aint racist by all means, but I live 20 mins from worthington and have to go there to shop at walmart, and hate being the minority in the store, gangs of hispanics all over and they come to my town to date our kids, I hate it...I am moving away soon, what are u looking for to do for work, fairmont s a great town with 6 lakes, cheap living, very nice people and schools, population 11,000 and just got a brand new walmart, plus kmart and shopko, jcpenneys etc. I miss it, I lived there for 13 yrs and loved it, never much for crime or issues with gangs or very many hispanics...
It just baffles me that it's 2010 and people still feel this way. I'm really glad to hear you "ain't racist" though.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,198,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
This thread just goes to show how some people are unable to adjust to the introduction to diversity. Although I haven't been to Worthington, I would be willing to bet that these accounts of gang bangers, etc. are highly exaggerated. You see a couple kids walking around in baggy clothes and speaking Spanish and suddenly you think the place is overrun with MS-13's and Latin Kings...ya shuuure.

As to the people complaining about being made fun of for not speaking Spanish, do yourself a favor and learn some Spanish. Most people in my neighborhood have made the effort to pick up basic Spanish and it goes a long way with communicating with neighbors and local business owners and associates. It just takes a little effort on your part.

We did drive through all those small towns off of I-90 this weekend and I appreciated that on the stretch between Worthington and Albert Lea we picked up a few Spanish radio stations. It's nice to have some variety between all of the country and oldies stations.
Bear in mind, you're talking to people who think "Press 1 for English" is a harbinger of the downfall of western civilization, and seeing a dual-language ingredient list on a box of Cheez Its ruins their entire week.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Bear in mind, you're talking to people who think "Press 1 for English" is a harbinger of the downfall of western civilization, and seeing a dual-language ingredient list on a box of Cheez Its ruins their entire week.
Yes, and I think people on here need to stop telling people who are thinking of moving to Minnesota that the entire state is very open-minded when it comes to things like diversity, bi-racial couples, same-sex partners, etc. because threads like this would pretty strongly suggest that the small towns outside of the Twin Cities metropolitan area still have a LONG way to go in that regard.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,198,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yes, and I think people on here need to stop telling people who are thinking of moving to Minnesota that the entire state is very open-minded when it comes to things like diversity, bi-racial couples, same-sex partners, etc. because threads like this would pretty strongly suggest that the small towns outside of the Twin Cities metropolitan area still have a LONG way to go in that regard.
You touch on an issue that should be far more obvious to more people - well, to everybody really, and that is that no state is homogeneous. Minnesota has very open places and very intolerant places, and everything in-between. It has liberalism and conservatism and people who are friendly and people who are rude jerks.

Heck, I live in Northfield, a rather small subset of Minnesota, and we run the gamut here from flamingly liberal to arch-conservative (the bi-weekly letters to the editor is usually a hoot, though often sad as well).

Minnesota certainly has its share of places and people who don't like 21st Century America. Of course, all states do.

Back to another post on this thread, "I ain't racist, but..." is right up there with "Some of my best friends are Jews, but...".

Old 06-01-2010, 10:55 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,368,590 times
Apparently some posters have no problem with having illegals invade their town as long as they can claim it brings " diversity".

KSTP TV did an investigative report mn Worthington after that raid.

They discovered Minnesota issued 20 state ID cards to 20 different people in Worthington.
All had the same Hispanic first name,same last name, and same date of birth.

When the KSTP reporter went to those 20 different addresses in Worthington, none of the people were the ones on the ID cards and the people living there denied ever knowing anyone by that name.

But, hey, Slig----------you got your diversity you so desperately crave !

Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Apparently some posters have no problem with having illegals invade their town as long as they can claim it brings " diversity".

KSTP TV did an investigative report omn Worthington after that raid.

They discovered Minnesota issued 20 state ID cards to 20 different people in Worthington.
All had the same first name,same lastt name, and same date of birth.

When the KSTP reporter went to those 20 different addresses in Worthington, none of the people were the ones on the ID cards and the people living there denied ever knowing anyone by that name.

But, hey, Slig----------you got your diversity you so desperately crave !
I wasn't replying to your post regarding ID theft, nor do I place any direct correlation between ID theft and diversity. I understand your concerns with illegal immigration and the ID theft that sometimes accompanies that but you're opening a whole different can of worms.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 06-01-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota