Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 PM

82 posts, read 271,856 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher in MA, but feel the urge to move to back to Minnesota (I lived there in 1999 and loved it). How are the employment opportunities for teachers? What is a starting teachers salary in Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,131,722 times
Teaching jobs are hard to come by unless you would consider very rural MN and then it might be easier. Starting salaries range from probably $20,000-30,000. Minnesota does not accept out of state licenses so you should probably investigate if you need to do additional coursework to get your MN license. Some rural districts do have some programs in place that will allow you to work while getting your license in order though. You won't find that in the Twin Cities. Most job openings have 100 applicants or so.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 17,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Teaching jobs are hard to come by unless you would consider very rural MN and then it might be easier. Starting salaries range from probably $20,000-30,000. Minnesota does not accept out of state licenses so you should probably investigate if you need to do additional coursework to get your MN license. Some rural districts do have some programs in place that will allow you to work while getting your license in order though. You won't find that in the Twin Cities. Most job openings have 100 applicants or so.

Do you work in the field of education? Am curious where this 100 applicant statement comes from. I have a Masters also.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:55 PM

195 posts, read 1,077,696 times
Me thinks that some people sometimes have a tendency just to say things that they don't really know about.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackblackie View Post
Do you work in the field of education? Am curious where this 100 applicant statement comes from. I have a Masters also.

I was a teacher and still have a lot of friends and family that are in education and specifically administration. The 100 applicants statement comes from experience and talking with people that do the hiring in various districts. The teaching jobs around the metro are few and far between, meaning there really isn't much turn over add to that the cuts many districts make and you are up against some stiff competition. Having a masters with some good credentials and experience will help you get into the better districts. Having a masters and no experience is going to hurt you because you haven't proven yourself in the classroom and you are too expensive for a district to hire with no experience. Why pay someone $40,000 when you can pay someone with the same experience $20,000 when your budget is very tight.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 PM

195 posts, read 1,077,696 times
Seriously? I found this.

Minnesota ranks 16th in the nation in average teacher salary. The state’s average teacher salary is $46,906; the average nationwide is $47,602. In starting salary, Minnesota ranks 23rd, with an average salary of $31,632, about $900 below the national average.
In 2006, Minnesota ranked 12th in the nation in average per capita income and was 7 percent above the national average.
The average Minnesota wage earner has experienced a wage growth of 49 percent over the last 11 years. The average Minnesota teacher wage grew only 28 percent over the same period.

and this one about a teacher shortage... I guess a cool thing about the internet is that you can get whatever sort of slanted info ou are looking for.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=267379

Last edited by The Icy River Vagabond; 12-18-2007 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 AM

3 posts, read 17,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
Seriously? I found this.

Minnesota ranks 16th in the nation in average teacher salary. The state’s average teacher salary is $46,906; the average nationwide is $47,602. In starting salary, Minnesota ranks 23rd, with an average salary of $31,632, about $900 below the national average.
In 2006, Minnesota ranked 12th in the nation in average per capita income and was 7 percent above the national average.
The average Minnesota wage earner has experienced a wage growth of 49 percent over the last 11 years. The average Minnesota teacher wage grew only 28 percent over the same period.

and this one about a teacher shortage... I guess a cool thing about the internet is that you can get whatever sort of slanted info ou are looking for.

Thanks for posting this. Someone has their facts straight on here.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
Seriously? I found this.

Math and Science positions in rural MN are really a 'benchmark' of a teacher shortages in the Twin Cities .

Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 AM

865 posts, read 2,494,432 times
Default things to keep in perspective

Things to keep in mind, and perspective:

1) Math and science teachers have always been in higher demand across the nation.

2) I am not aware of ANY state / region where teacher salary increases have kept pace with salary increases for the private sector / general job market.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:08 AM

10 posts, read 46,187 times
I taught in Duluth. It's not too hard to get a teaching job. You may have to substitute for awhile.

There have been people expecting to take the Minnesota test, and they have left because it's rather hard. Minnesota prides itself on educational standards and want good teachers.

I left teaching to be a Museum educator. There are other teaching opportunities in Minnesota than schools. There are charter schools, tutoring, which I did and got paid more. I liked tutoring better. Use your imagination and you can find a nitche for a teacher whether in the schools, or in another capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota