Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,057 times

Advertisements

I love living in Big Lake. We have great school, friendly neighbors, lots of open areas and wildlife. Wild Turkeys pass through our yard daily in the winter.

But we're already making our plans to move out of here, because soon we will be the "end of the line" for the Northstar Train.

In their animations they show people in business suits reading the paper while they ride the train to work.

Maybe they should also show the gang-bangers who will also take residence on that train. I don't want to be in the crossfire when 2 rival gangs end up on the train at the same time.

So don't ride the train you say?

Then how about for a measly 6 buck train ride drug dealers can start new accounts in Coon Rapids, Elk River, and Big Lake? As my dad would say "All the riff-raff" will be moving in.

And every time I hear of another shooting, another stabbing, and another drug bust, I'll say "I told you so".

I refuse to live my life "at the end of the line".

Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
I would not worry about "drug selling" gangs.
Unless they already have a lot of customers now in Big Lake, I doubt they are going to hop a commuter train for an "end of the line destination"

I might use it. I live about 100 miles from MPLS airport and about 35 from St Cloud airport. An airline ticket is $85 more for my wife and me to Atlanta if we fly out of St Cloud rather than MPLS
For a $170 savings, we might consider parking at Big Lake and taking public transportation to the airport.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Which suburbs do most of the bus routes currently end in? Are they worse off because of the bus route ending there? Route 675 goes from Minneapolis to Wayzata and then on to Mound. The "gang-bangers" and drug dealers have not yet taken over either of those places as far as I am aware. I am sure there is another route ending in Eden Prarie and they seem to be doing alright.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:20 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainie27 View Post

Maybe they should also show the gang-bangers who will also take residence on that train. I don't want to be in the crossfire when 2 rival gangs end up on the train at the same time.

Are you serious!?!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 AM

118 posts, read 388,855 times
This can't possibly be a serious post--seems more like a political hack to me.

Even if we assume that direct transit access from downtown Minneapolis to the suburbs/exurbs gets you gang elements based solely on transit, which it doesn't, commuter rail is much different than frequent, two-way transit. The plan for the Northstar line is to have one reverse trip in the morning and another reverse trip in the afternoon. What is a "gang-banger" going to do in Big Lake for eight hours without transit? Chase wild turkeys off your yard? And how exactly will these naughty people take "residence" on the train with all their "riff-raff"? What is this, Pleasantville?

Maybe the Northstar line will be popular enough to warrant two-way traffic in the future (don't know how), but until then, you can enjoy your pristine, drug-free, gang-free paradise. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but drug dealers have cars just like you and me. That's why they deal drugs--it's profitable. Even without cars, these no-gooders can already reach your community through other means. So where were you during the public hearings to help protect little Big Lake from the big, bad city?

Well, enough is enough. This news is your call to action. It is time to start boarding up the windows and start an aggressive "say no" drug campaign to protect the innocent residents of Big Lake. Only good people live in Big Lake now, but when trains full of drug pushers come in the dozens for 'new territory,' look out! There's no way that one of these private citizens could possibly say no to drugs on their own! We wouldn't want Big Lake to turn into the next Minnetonka! (Anyone catch the sarcasm yet? )

I don't know which is more sad: the fact that you might actually believe this or that you expect others to be persuaded by your inflammatory post.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:24 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,042 times
no im fairly certain this person is serious. I have talked to people who live in podunk towns like this 30 miles from the city that think that Minneapolis is constant gunfire.

If "gang bangers" havent really meandered their way into suburbs as close as Robbinsdale or Golden Valley, what makes you think they have any itnerest in ending up in Big Lake?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Even the ardent suburbanites are getting a kick over this one! Big Lake should be more worried about meth labs being run by people who already live there. Apparently drug dealers do not have cars. If there was any drug profit in your little bubble-town they already would have drove their riff-raff asses up to Big Lake. If the train were to go any further, though, it may inadvertently hit an Indian Reservation. Imagine the scary minority drug dealer when they first encounter an Indian. It would probably happen half-way at Big Lake. Be afraid....very afraid. God, I'm still laughing at this. Big Lake is just as dangerous as most other suburbs already. It is just better at hiding its problems. Your ideallic neighbor probably drinks like a fish. The neighbor boy has an affinity for prescription medications which he gets at school. Maybe they even like weed. You are looking for Utopia, and you sure as hell won't find it. It doesn't exist. Crime is like disease. You have to build at least a little immunity to it at some point, or the most innate microbe will kill you. To me, you sound terminal.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:37 AM

9 posts, read 43,241 times
wow. i hate to break it to ya hun... i grew up in big lake and uh... sorry to tell you this but uh... big lake is a pretty drugged up little town if you ask me. Like previously mentioned its just better at hiding its problems. Oh and back in the day, i don't know of any off hand now, i could have pointed out a few meth labs for ya. So if your scared of what you think is going to start happening, i hope your u-haul is packed and ready to go because its already happening worse than you could ever imagine. back in 6th grade, 6-7 years ago, i can recall im first sighting of mary jane in school. sorry to break your heart.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:02 AM

638 posts, read 3,123,604 times
Unfortunately, it's true that drugs are found just about everywhere these days. But the gang-bangers from the Big Bad City won't be bringing them out on the commuter train!

I think the OP is delusional and in need of some serious psych meds!

Old 12-17-2007, 11:42 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
I think the OP is delusional and in need of some serious psych meds!
Apparently this will be taking care of once the train comes through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota