Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:11 PM

721 posts, read 2,599,823 times

Advertisements

How will the new projects like Minnesota Steel, Mesabi Nugget, and Poly Met's copper and nickel plant change the face of of the Iron Range?

Is this another boom and bust cycle or do you think that the Range can capatilize on the growth and begin to deversify its economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:35 PM

31 posts, read 92,634 times
Default Boom or bust

I think that it depends on how much people take advantage of the mines coming in. If Everyone just relies on these mines to bring in business and jobs, it will be another bust. What I really think this area needs is a four year university. That way people who want to stay can and it would bring more educated people to the area. This would also bring more business to the area. That plus the mines would give this area a boom that would last.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM

I heard rumors that Mesabi Community and Technical College was pursuing the idea of becoming a 4 year school. I think your right in some respects, but simply putting a four year college on the range won't keep graduates there. They may stay longer, and then leave to pursue better paying jobs in the Twin Cities. That's what happens in Duluth.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM

The expected number of jobs an spin off jobs from the new mines is expected to be anywhere from 800-900 permanent jobs to 2,500 sspin off and ocntruction jobs. I think that is huge for the region.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:49 AM

31 posts, read 92,634 times
People may not stay, but there would continously be new people coming in too. That would be good for the economy on the range

Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 PM

571 posts, read 2,522,484 times
I LOVE the idea of a 4-year university on the range. Contrary to what you might think, many of our young people WANT to stay in the northland, and having a 4-year institution closeby (while it wouldn't guarantee it) would certainly HELP kids stay closer to home.

As mentioned above, having more educated people in the region would be such great asset...more people with business knowledge, more opportunity to bring the arts to the range, etc. I grew up in Duluth and while UMD/UWS/Scholastica certainlly don't, by themselves, "make" Duluth's economy (and culture), just think where Duluth/Superior would be WITHOUT its colleges and univerisites.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,073,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I LOVE the idea of a 4-year university on the range. Contrary to what you might think, many of our young people WANT to stay in the northland, and having a 4-year institution closeby (while it wouldn't guarantee it) would certainly HELP kids stay closer to home.

As mentioned above, having more educated people in the region would be such great asset...more people with business knowledge, more opportunity to bring the arts to the range, etc. I grew up in Duluth and while UMD/UWS/Scholastica certainlly don't, by themselves, "make" Duluth's economy (and culture), just think where Duluth/Superior would be WITHOUT its colleges and univerisites.
This is why there isn't a 4 year college on the Iron Range. Bemidji is also only a couple hours away too. There are plenty of opportunities for the population size in the northern part of the state.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM

I still think the area could support at least one more institution. You have to keep in mind that much of the student population at BSU, UMD, etc. isn't locals, it's kids from the cities taking advantage of an opportunity to live "up north" for a few years without having to worry about the "real world" economics of living here. I think having another 4-year choice even closer to home would encourage more young people from this area to go beyond a 2-year degree. To some of these kids from the REALLY small, far-flung towns up here, even cities the size of Duluth and Fargo-Moorhead can be intimidating (that might sound funny to some of you, but it's true!)

Yes, BSU is one option, but given the projected growth of the Iron Range area, I think it would be the perfect time to start (and establish, for the future) another 4-year educational choice in northern Minnesota.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,073,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I still think the area could support at least one more institution. You have to keep in mind that much of the student population at BSU, UMD, etc. isn't locals, it's kids from the cities taking advantage of an opportunity to live "up north" for a few years without having to worry about the "real world" economics of living here. I think having another 4-year choice even closer to home would encourage more young people from this area to go beyond a 2-year degree. To some of these kids from the REALLY small, far-flung towns up here, even cities the size of Duluth and Fargo-Moorhead can be intimidating (that might sound funny to some of you, but it's true!)

Yes, BSU is one option, but given the projected growth of the Iron Range area, I think it would be the perfect time to start (and establish, for the future) another 4-year educational choice in northern Minnesota.
Actually, most kids want to go away for college so going to the neighboring town isn't quite the same thing. Kids from the Iron Range go to school in St. Paul or wherever to get away from home, not that they don't like it there, they just want to get away for school.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:37 PM

Not necessarily. I work at a high school (not on the Range, but close) and help kids with their college planning. True, some can't wait to get the heck out of Dodge, but the vast majority of them stick pretty close to home. Many do their first 2 years at one of the community colleges and then move on to BSU, UMD, UND or wherever to finish up. My husband teaches over on the Range and sees the same thing. I think a lot of our kids would opt for a more "local" 4-year college if there was one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota