Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:51 PM

284 posts, read 1,653,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Chefde--------I agree, the key word is---criteria----
the people resonding must not have read her inquiry. She listed specific criteria.

Posters who answer with---------"you can easily find" fail to take into account the criteria that was stated.
Some of us are responding to her criteria. Nowhere did I see the OP mention that she had to live in a specific part of Minnesota. There is more to the state than the Twin Cities metro, you know. There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of small towns that have homes - that meet her exact criteria - for under $100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 02:01 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,106,330 times
sugarbeet---------examples please?
I have done research for quite awhile searching for homes that match --her criteria-- in southern states that have low priced homes.
I would be hard pressed to find those houses for under $100,000 matching her criteria in even rural Tennesse, Alabama, Mississippi, or Arkansas.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:05 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,106,330 times
-----saying---- one can buy a new Cadillac at many different dealers for under $20,000 does not make that true.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM

284 posts, read 1,653,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-----saying---- one can buy a new Cadillac at many different dealers for under $20,000 does not make that true.
True, but you can buy a used Cadillac for $20,000 all day long. The OP's not expecting a palace.

The thing about those small rural towns is that there's no reason to put the homes on the MLS, so you're unlikely to find them online. If the OP is interested in those towns, she's going to have to go there and look for houses.

However, just to show what is posted online, I searched the MLS and found 24 listings (all 4 bed/2 bath/1 or 2 car garage - granted, not all are ramblers, but some are and there's nothing so special about a rambler that it would be out of her price range)

Some sample prices:

Lake Crystal - $48,900
Albert Lea - $64,900
Fairmont - $69,900
Trimont - $74,000
Owatonna - $84,900

I'm not sure why you find it so hard to believe these prices, marmac. Do you ever drive through these towns? Surely it's no surprise that few houses in those towns even sell for over $50k.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:35 PM

85 posts, read 413,427 times
http://homes.realtor.com/search/list...rcnt=29#Detail
Searching online I found this 2500 square foot home with an attached 2-stall garage in Twin Valley for $89k. It's a bi-level instead of a rambler, so I guess, technically, it doesn't meet all the criteria.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,987,338 times
I have a house for sale that meets most of her criteria, but the garage isn't attached and it's not under 100k. It is a 4bed 2bath w/finished basement but I can't let it go for less than 127k......

I'm sure she could find the house she wants, but it'll just take some searching the internet and talking to several realators.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM

28 posts, read 95,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanee View Post
I am thinking about trying to start over somewhere else, just me and the kids. I am wondering if it is possible to find a 4 bedroom rambler (or 3 bedrooms and an office) with at least two bathrooms, permanent siding, attached garage, laundry room on main, and a finished basement, all for under $100,000 somewhere in MN. I would be able to pay cash for it if we would sell our current house, and would like it to be more around $80,000 to $90,000 to allow for moving and other expenses. I don't want a lot of upkeep, that is why I want permanent siding, and I need at least 3 bedrooms because I have a son and a daughter. We need space because my children are in the autism spectrum. Maybe a foreclosure? Somewhere where I might be able to get an office type job close by, I have general accounting clerk experience and was a bookkeeper, receptionist, do it all in the front office person in a small business before I had kids over 16 years ago. I am probably just dreaming, but I feel I really need to be checking into this right now, as my current living situation with my husband is not good for me and the kids, and I don't see him making it easy for us and just leaving us be in the house we currently live in. That means we would have to start over. Thanks for any input anyone might have.

Please forgive me if I'm totally misunderstanding....but it sounds like you are some type of an abusive relationship and are trying to get the heck away from your husband. If that is true, then buying a house somewhere is not the answer. From how it sounds, you've been a stay at home mom. While I know from experience it's WAY harder than most paying jobs, you need to move somewhere for a job first, home second. It may be hard to find work without any recent experience. You need to make money asap...so how can you think about housing options when you just need to figure out how to put food on the table. First things first.

Is there family you could live with temporarily? Will your husband find you where ever you move to - and what if he did?...then renting is by far your best option.

If you have kids that are in the autism spectrum, is there some way you can find out what the public health agencies and schools offer? I'd hate to see you move to somewhere that offers no help for your kids' special needs (if they have some).

I'm sorry you're going through this.....but take care of YOU first. Be an example to those kids of what "healthy" means. It will be hard, but you can do it....and sometimes leaving is the best thing to do. If you leave and your husband makes definite changes over time....which he will do if he truly loves you because that's what love is....then moving will ultimately be best for the kids. Moving away may be the thing that forces your husband to change. If you stay, nothing improves and can get worse. Yes, this sucks and yes, it will be hard on the kids...but be strong for them. You can do it. Call a domestic abuse hotline and see if they can help you figure this out.....where to begin with all of this. Best of luck to you, God bless you and your family ....and if I'm totally wrong - which I may be - then I'm so sorry and forget I even wrote this. You dont need to respond to anything I said, just ignore it.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:43 AM

279 posts, read 756,685 times
i think this may be possible in outstate minnesota but certainly not in the metro area and if it was in the metro it would be a place peppered with bullet holes.

maybe down around pipestone would be worth a shot, or perhaps roseau. basically you are going to be in places that nobody wants to be for that type of price.

might actually be better off in a trailer court somewhere like st cloud

Old 01-12-2008, 03:55 AM

279 posts, read 756,685 times
here you go, balaton, minnesota

there's a couple more that came up in the price range in tracy, mn. these are in lyon county about 80 miles northeast of sioux falls

120 5TH ST, Balaton, MN | Listing Information (http://www.edinarealty.com/Listing/ListingDetail.aspx?Search=7f2915cc-abb3-4a77-af1d-dd38a3473017&Listing=25318841&IRPAgentID=&Image=1& First=1&Last=10&pagesize=10&SearchType=map&Listing DistrictTypeID=&FirstLetter=&Sort=6&Cookies=&UseCo lorBar=false - broken link)

Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 PM

24 posts, read 73,952 times
To: Swanee: I may be responding to an old post... but, I too am a parent of an autistic child, moving from idaho to mn. I don't know the ages of your children so I may be mis-speaking. Do you receive soc. sec. for the children. also are you aware that some states pay you as the care giver. In idaho we receive 53.39 a day. it isn't much but it helps. also, you should be elegible for rural housing loan. if you find an area you like, contact rural housing and get a application. they subsidizes your payments and make it easier for you to find a home that fits your needs. I have a rural housing number for you 218-720-5330 ext. 4. they might be able to point you in a directions. there are great services for minor children. try checking the blog. i've
seen comments from parents. I'm sorry for your situation and hope the information helps. I've been there done that, so I know it's not easy. you can also email me I
am in the process of checking with agency regarding finanacial help with my child since I am 68 it's a little tough to find a job. my daughter also has behaviour so a care provider is not easy to find. I do wish you luck and here's my email. idahodee@msn.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota