Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to read this weekends past pride parade/celebration is according to this article the largest of "it's kind". Where's the straight parade? Why don't we get a parade/celebration if it's such a great time?

Link: Thousands Hit Minneapolis To Celebrate Pride Weekend « CBS Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
I was surprised to read this weekends past pride parade/celebration is according to this article the largest of "it's kind". Where's the straight parade? Why don't we get a parade/celebration if it's such a great time?

You have the Aquatennial Parade and festival in July: Minneapolis Aquatennial. I would guess having civil rights and marriage rights for so much longer than gay people should more than make up for not having the word "Straight" in the name of a celebration.

Gay rights in employment were not legally protected in Minnesota until 1993. Legalized gay marriage was signed into law by governor Dayton in 2013. (The first domestic partner law in Minnesota was passed in 1991 by the city of Minneapolis. Duluth and St. Paul would be next, but not until 18 years later in 2009).

Consider yourself fortunate and have a great time at whatever event you should decide to attend! Thanks for sharing that link, too.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-30-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Go ahead. Who's stopping you?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:17 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
What would the straight pride parade look like? A bunch of 240 pound men in cargo shorts and Keen sandals marching down the street behind the House of Blues float?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:20 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,453 times
Quote:

First, the article says "its kind". "It's" is a contraction of "it is". My guess is you don't mean to say "this weekend's past pride parade is the largest of it is kind".

Second, the straight parade should take place once straight people go through what gay/transgender people have gone through: decades of employment discrimination, increased incidence of violent assault by strangers due to their orientation, being disowned by their families, attacked by politicians, condemned by churches, and bullied in schools. Given that high cost, I suspect you'll forgo the straight parade.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:39 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
First, the article says "its kind". "It's" is a contraction of "it is". My guess is you don't mean to say "this weekend's past pride parade is the largest of it is kind".

Yep, nothing says major smack down like a grammar lesson. Chill out. It's an Internet posting board, not an academic paper.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
Ah yes, the "straight pride" comment. Do you realize how foolish you sound? Have you ever been denied the right to marry the person you love because you are straight? Do you have to worry about being fired for your job just for being straight? Have you ever been disowned for being straight? Have you ever been beaten for being straight? Have you ever seen people in countries being murdered/tortured/imprisoned/executed just for being straight? Have you ever been hated just for being straight?

No? Then be glad you don't need to have a straight pride parade.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:

Given the size of the pride parade/weekend, I think it's safe to say that, statistically speaking, it probably IS a "straight" event, at least in the sense that there are probably more straight people participating in it than GLBT.

But if you feel a need to have a parade to celebrate your heterosexual status and don't want to just join in the gay party, there's really no one stopping you. Go for it.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
What would the straight pride parade look like? A bunch of 240 pound men in cargo shorts and Keen sandals marching down the street behind the House of Blues float?
This made me laugh out loud. I can just picture it!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 PM

290 posts, read 547,537 times
Part of me does kind of wonder if at some point, the gay pride events should ultimately stop. If you want to be treated no different than heterosexuals, do events such as the parades contribute to keeping that difference there by highlighting the differences in such a strong way. Especially now that gay marriage is becoming so supported. Yes, of course there is still a long way to go, but the tides have already turned and the momentum is there.

I guess the same question could be posed of Black History month. But I think that is different starting right with the name. Black History. Taking the time to reflect on the past struggles and what it took to get where we are today. Yes, the month also focuses on continuing the struggles for racial equality, but by focusing first on the history of the movement, I think it better justifies it's existence. While there are plenty of African-American performances, etc during the month, they aren't "I'm black, let me show you how black I am!". They simply exhibit black culture.

Where I think the Gay Pride events put people off a bit more because it focuses so much on the differences. "Treat me the same!" says the parade participant, as they walk along in a big get up looking and acting markedly different than a straight person. At what point does the straight person have to say, "Listen, you won. We support you. We've heard your call. You don't have to do this anymore." Or is the point of Gay Pride events TO celebrate the differences and not assimilate?

For many gay people I have met, being gay seems to be their entire identity. It's almost like the coping mechanism has been to be so overt about their sexual orientation. But now that it's more accepted, does you still need to put up that front 24/7? At what point do you move on and just become a member of society like everyone else?

My last comment is that I think the gay community is done a disservice by the overtly sexualized images many gays try to promote in parades and in other events. It has nothing to do with the fact that the sexuality protrayed is between those of the same sex. Anyone watching a parade doesn't want to see that between people of any sexual combination. And it does not help the gay cause. It promotes a stereotype that the anti-homosexual crowd already holds about you. So why fuel that fire? Why is the one thing you are showcasing about yourself to the world your overt sexuality? How is that going to help the gay opposition to think of you on better terms? How is that gay opposition going to think of you any better than straight people flaunting their sexuality? Shouldn't you instead be promoting the other things that make you wonderful and just like a straight person?

I have two gay and one lesbian households within my block. I would NEVER know they were outside of connecting the obvious dots because of the sexes of people who live there and after talking with them. Their sexual orientation otherwise NEVER crosses my mind. They are human beings, neighbors, working professionals. It's great. And I can't help but think if this is ALL the anti-gay community saw of homosexuals, they would be more accepting. Instead, sadly, oftentimes the only image anti-gays have of gays is the flamboyance at the parades, etc. They don't get the opportunity to see that the majority of gays are just normal human beings going about their lives.

Just my comments from a straight, gay friendly, male who obviously has a lot to learn.

Last edited by queenswake; 06-30-2014 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota