Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:53 AM

3,778 posts, read 5,325,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Does anyone have any new input or information on Fergus Falls at all?
I have a couple of colleagues who work out of the Fergus Falls office, and I have been through there several times. It had an awesome downtown cafe (Cafe 116, if I remember correctly), but I am not sure if it survived the economic shutdown forced on restaurants.

As stated earlier in this 7-year-old thread, FF is on the border between the western prairies and the eastern lake region. I can recommend it for a nice small town feeling but large enough in the area to be an economic hub. Interstate 94 runs by the city so one is only an hour from Fargo ND or around 3 hours from Minneapolis.

Pelican Rapids is nice also, but possibly too small for year-round living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 11:33 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I have a couple of colleagues who work out of the Fergus Falls office, and I have been through there several times. It had an awesome downtown cafe (Cafe 116, if I remember correctly), but I am not sure if it survived the economic shutdown forced on restaurants.

As stated earlier in this 7-year-old thread, FF is on the border between the western prairies and the eastern lake region. I can recommend it for a nice small town feeling but large enough in the area to be an economic hub. Interstate 94 runs by the city so one is only an hour from Fargo ND or around 3 hours from Minneapolis.

Why is Pelican Rapids too small for year round living?

Old 05-20-2021, 12:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

Thanks for the information, I've lived in similar sized cities before, but like the proximity of Fergus Falls to other cities as well within easy driving distance, and of course the access to lakes nearby. I will be in the area the first week of June for an interview, and will post an update of my overall impressions of the area.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-21-2021 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-20-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Why is Pelican Rapids too small for year round living?
My opinion. Outstate, the towns in the 10,000-20,000 population range typically serve as the shopping and entertainment hubs for the surrounding areas, which are full of towns less than 3,000 population.

People in Pelican Rapids likely drive down to Fergus Falls or up to Detroit Lakes for much of their shopping, especially in the winter. Pelican Rapids is a nice-looking place, been there myself, but I couldn't imagine living in a small tourist town in the winter when those cute boutiques and cafes likely close due to slow business.

Pelican Rapids is less than 2,500; Fergus Falls is over 13,000.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:18 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
So, my overall impressions of Fergus Falls, having been there the first week of June:

1) Location is interesting, bordering agricultural areas off to the west in the Red River Valley, plenty of lakes northeast of town, and some nice state parks. However, it lacks the Northwoods feel that areas to the east have like Brainerd Lakes or Park Rapids.
2) Downtown seemed nice for what it is, somewhat underwhelming, but to be expected for a town of 10-15K residents. I did notice a relative lack of modernization and energy efficiency with older doors on the Downtown businesses, can't be good for business costs and lacks common sense.
3) Neighborhoods seemed nicer on the north side of town, south side seemed to be a mixed bag with probably 25% rundown properties at least.
4) Areas near Downtown appeared to have more lower cost rental properties, although nothing seemed overly horrible from my walks around.
5) Lots of abandoned commercial buildings on the west side of the city, and of course an abanoned mall (everywhere) these days..
6) Residents seemed friendly enough, typical reserved Minnesota nice, I'm used to it as I've lived in the Upper Midwest previously.

Overall, it was hard for me to get a really good gauge of the city. I would say my impression is somewhat mixed to good. It does have some good future growth potential, and the location is not overly isolated with five exits off Interstate 94.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
So, my overall impressions of Fergus Falls, having been there the first week of June:

1) Location is interesting, bordering agricultural areas off to the west in the Red River Valley, plenty of lakes northeast of town, and some nice state parks. However, it lacks the Northwoods feel that areas to the east have like Brainerd Lakes or Park Rapids.
A fair assessment of Fergus Falls, I would say.

This past weekend I drove through Park Rapids on the way to and from Itasca State Park. Park Rapids reminds me of other tourist towns: very busy in the summer, but what about the winter? At least PR has agriculture in the area (potatoes for McDonald's!) so that helps diversify away from an economy solely based upon tourism.

Itasca was -meh- for me. Having spent quite a few years tromping around Alaska for work, I take northern Minnesota to be Alaska Lite. There was a yearling black bear rummaging through some campsites and that was the most exciting thing, I suppose, for the trip.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:43 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
I spend a great deal of time in Park Rapids as my 'Up North' home is near there. While it's obviously a more touristy destination in the summer, not a whole lot changes in the off-season. Sure a few of the shops on the main street close up, those aren't really missed. The rest of the year it's like any other 2K+ small town. Part of it's charm is the fact that it is not near any larger cities and it's not in much danger of changing.

Itasca is a beautiful State Park, not sure what you expect from it. They don't get much better.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:01 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I spend a great deal of time in Park Rapids as my 'Up North' home is near there. While it's obviously a more touristy destination in the summer, not a whole lot changes in the off-season. Sure a few of the shops on the main street close up, those aren't really missed. The rest of the year it's like any other 2K+ small town. Part of it's charm is the fact that it is not near any larger cities and it's not in much danger of changing.

Itasca is a beautiful State Park, not sure what you expect from it. They don't get much better.
Itasca State Park a really nice park; and exciting.

Last edited by demtion35; 06-18-2021 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota