U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,145 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi,

My sister who has arthrogryposis and I are planning to move actually anywhere in the country. We considered South Florida and Northeast Florida but reality is hitting hard, realizing after a year of researching and phone calls, there is very low abundance of disability services for my physically disabled sister in Florida.

Now I am considering Minnesota. I compared the Florida and Minnesota disability service websites and there is a HUGE difference on what they offer. I guess the only thing I am worried about is how long would it take for my sister to receive services in a different state like Minnesota. She receives SSI (Social Security Income) and qualifies for Medicaid here. Her managed health care plan in United Health. Right now I am her paid caregiver. I saved up $15,000 so far from this job. I have an A.A degree. I don't have a car (yet). We are both 24 years old. Our living situation is very toxic. I am the only family my sister has. 90% of our family from both sides live in California and I considered moving to that state also but California seems..."unstable"

Who should I directly speak to for information for those moving to Minnesota from out-of-state with a disabled relative? What about housing assistance? Consumer-direct services? Caregiver support? Is it really expensive to live up North if we lived there? I see many apts and homes on craigslist and there is a lot of affordable housing ($700-$800 a month). Can I get a job quickly there? I have no job experience yet (other than being a caregiver for 3 years), are there cities I should avoid up there?...if we officially decide to live there of course.

The thing is that, I know I grew up in Cali (7 years) and Florida(17 years) and many would wonder why I would considered moving to a cold state like Minnesota. Personally, I don't care about the climate. I really don't. I putting my sister needs first. I want her to have the best care for the long LONG run. Sure I can easily go to school and get a degree and a decent job in Florida but meanwhile what will my sister have?? I can't imagine succeeding in life alone while my sister has low quality care at the same time. She wants a job too, she wants friends,etc.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,145 times
Reputation: 10
hello?? any help?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM
 
3,749 posts, read 7,233,538 times
Reputation: 3684
I would suggest reaching out to social services directly and working with your current worker to determine how benefits would work. As for education and work and weather - much of that depends where you move and your appetite for the seasons.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 2,707,402 times
Reputation: 1770
I agree with getting in contact with social services. I would try to look in specific areas where you might consider living if you want to be near a larger city (i.e., Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester, Duluth, etc.) and try to get in touch with social services in those areas. Even though you say climate does not matter, coming from California and Florida, you might want to look more into the southern half of the state because the northern part can have some pretty extreme weather days in the winter (comparatively speaking).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 10:18 PM
 
147 posts, read 217,149 times
Reputation: 167
Minnesota Department of Human Services
Home // Department of Human Services // State of Minnesota

As for employment, Minnesota has a low unemployment rate and plenty of jobs. If your sister will need extensive medical care, Rochester is definitely worth looking at since that's where the Mayo Clinic is located. Since you mentioned that you don't have a car, larger cities will probably be a better choice (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Rochester, Duluth). While California does have a lot of services available for the disabled, the state is having a HORRIBLE budget problem. Not to mention the cost of living out there. Something to consider.

My wife and I are getting ready to move from Alabama up to the Grand Forks-East Grand Forks area. I wish you and your sister the best.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 08:23 AM
 
10,630 posts, read 22,744,640 times
Reputation: 6687
While it's true that California is having huge budget issues, if you have extended family there that is able to help out provide you with support, it's worth a second look. That goes double if your sister is in a wheelchair all or part of the time; if she is, then I'd factor that into your move. While people with wheelchairs certainly do live in MN, it's difficult during the winter.

Not sure where you're finding the $700-$800 apartments, but I would be careful to see that that they are in cities or neighborhoods that have decent public transportation or are walkable, and are in areas in proximity to decent job opportunities. If you get stuck buying and operating a car right away that will quickly start offsetting the budget rent. I would consider looking at a city like Rochester; no idea what the disability services are like, but at least there is (I assume) some basic level of public transportation, there's the Mayo right there for medical resources, and I'm assuming cost of living is lower than in the Twin Cities and some decent job opportunities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 04:16 PM
 
29 posts, read 42,205 times
Reputation: 23
You should try to narrow it down to what county you want to live in.. Medical assistance and minnesota care is all done through the counties i believe. that's who you apply through and who your case worker will be. I do think having family memmbers near by might make it easier though. I would try to get an apartment near the bus routes. Good Luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2014, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Brrrrr Rollingstone, MN Near Winona, MN
15 posts, read 10,699 times
Reputation: 15
Default I live in MN and thinking of moving to FL? WOW

Quote:
Hi,

My sister who has arthrogryposis and I are planning to move actually anywhere in the country. We considered South Florida and Northeast Florida but reality is hitting hard, realizing after a year of researching and phone calls, there is very low abundance of disability services for my physically disabled sister in Florida.
Maybe we can help each other answer questions? I love in MN, Way SE MN near Rochester Mayo Clinic. Only about a 40 minute drive to Mayo. The town I live in right now is a whole big 697 people! The town I am closest too really is Winona, MN. How much does FL pay for a caregiver? Winona is only 26,000 people so my fiancee just got a raise to $11.00 an hour. He does have another job also. Pays pretty good and we have saved up money. I will try and answer any questions you have. I am very disabled and was told by my doctor that AZ would be the best place for me to move. I was going to post in AZ forum but not sure my heart is in AZ. FL I LOVE! We are NOT BIG CITY people but yet I love lights and fishing!

My fiancee is in the maintenance field, like fixing machines in a manufacturing plant. We want to buy a home under 300,000 and for it to be 3-4 bedroom and nice and prefer a pool. Is that possible th
ere in a good neighborhood? Probably not way South as I want to be near Mayo in Jacksonville like no more than an hour away.

Quote:
Now I am considering Minnesota. I compared the Florida and Minnesota disability service websites and there is a HUGE difference on what they offer. I guess the only thing I am worried about is how long would it take for my sister to receive services in a different state like Minnesota. She receives SSI (Social Security Income) and qualifies for Medicaid here. Her managed health care plan in United Health. Right now I am her paid caregiver. I saved up $15,000 so far from this job. I have an A.A degree. I don't have a car (yet). We are both 24 years old. Our living situation is very toxic. I am the only family my sister has. 90% of our family from both sides live in California and I considered moving to that state also but California seems..."unstable".
As long as your sister is on SSI in FL I do not believe it will take long at all for her to start her services here in MN. DO NOT move to to Minneapolis or a big city like that as the wait will be super long. She I imagine would have to establish residency here, though there may be a way that she might now have to, I am not sure and you will have to call a Human Resource Department and talk to a worker to get answer for that. May I ask how much you get paid to care for your sister? Here, your sister would pick a place and she would be basically your boss, kind of. She would ask for more pay for you etc. There are several places to choose from. She will have an assessment done to add up the hours per day she will get for her care-7 days a week. Could you send me a link to the FL web site with the info you have? My social security is actually OVER SSI level by 400 a month so I pay that back to the state for my Medical care. This way my fiancee can be my case manager AND I get What is called a caddy waiver which allows me to receive this type of care. We get together each once a year in June to see if the hours should be more or less.
The condition I have, which is brittle bones, a genetic disease very rare and I break LOTS of bones and my joints are loose and dislocate.
You sister would qualify for Medical Assistance here which is the same thing as now but a different name. As long as she she qualifies for SSI she qualifies for that also.

Quote:
Quote:
Who should I directly speak to for information for those moving to Minnesota from out-of-state with a disabled relative? What about housing assistance? Consumer-direct services? Caregiver support? Is it really expensive to live up North if we lived there? I see many apts and homes on craigslist and there is a lot of affordable housing ($700-$800 a month). Can I get a job quickly there? I have no job experience yet (other than being a caregiver for 3 years), are there cities I should avoid up there?...if we officially decide to live there of course.
Expensive here to live? I guess it depends where you live in MN but all I know is my area and through the path to Mayo it is reasonable. We have a lot of small towns, I love that! I have pictures of deer in our back yard. I like it here but I have titanium rods in my bones and brrrrrr they freeze me up! I hate the cold~ The Fall, WOW beautiful!! Actually the area I live in is said by many to be one of the most beautiful! I can almost believe that!

For affordable housing you would get in touch with another again along with human services, it would be called SEMCAC. Now is small cities like I live in they almost always have openings. There are many small cities and I am not trying to talk you into moving exactly here but I think near Mayo is a good idea?

Quote:
The thing is that, I know I grew up in Cali (7 years) and Florida(17 years) and many would wonder why I would considered moving to a cold state like Minnesota. Personally, I don't care about the climate. I really don't. I putting my sister needs first. I want her to have the best care for the long LONG run. Sure I can easily go to school and get a degree and a decent job in Florida but meanwhile what will my sister have?? I can't imagine succeeding in life alone while my sister has low quality care at the same time. She wants a job too, she wants friends,etc. .
You are a wonderful sister to care for your sister like you are and your dedication to her is not seen often enough! Yes I think you could easily find a job...and your sister also as there are many places throughout MN that offer therapeutic service jobs for disabled according to their abilities. Hon, you can go to school in MN also! And care for your sister!

One last thing for now, do you have FB? If you do, look up Linda Mullen Lockwood and add me but tell me who you are by saying the site OK!


Quote:
Any suggestions? Thank you.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top