U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 AM
 
Location: The North Star State
171 posts, read 145,580 times
Reputation: 326

Advertisements

All immigrant groups have bad apples, unfortunately these guys were very rotten. That said, it seems backwards to me to shun an entire group of people based on the actions of a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,353 posts, read 20,516,788 times
Reputation: 31618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
All immigrant groups have bad apples, unfortunately these guys were very rotten. That said, it seems backwards to me to shun an entire group of people based on the actions of a few.
Wahhhhaaaaa!!!!????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=S18gomN5aY4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Southwest Minneapolis
492 posts, read 539,716 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillnew View Post
Sadly, the guy was born in MPLS and converted to Islam.....probably because of treatment by people here in MN. A child becomes what you tell them they are.
I hope I am just not understanding this statement.

Does this mean that this guy is not responsible for his actions? We're supposed to blame some nameless, faceless oppression that he allegedly faced in that horrible place called Minnesota? Even worse, does that mean that every kid who faces some adversity is destined to side with our enemies and try to kill us all?

While we have seen no leadership on this issue in our country, here is an example of how you can begin to deal with this issue:


MP David Cameron FULL Press Conference: UK Raises Terror Threat Level to 'SEVERE' - YouTube

There are some great suggestions in there. And no, giving all of the would be terrorists a big hug and making them feel nice isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 PM
 
750 posts, read 731,892 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlFalls56649 View Post
If it were my decision to make I would go after and nail whoever approved the program to bring these people over here 20 years ago. I don't remember if it was Lutheran Social Services or what. But whoever it was, thanks a lot for ruining a good portion of southeast Minneapolis and importing yet another group of people who are never held accountable for anything, use up resources and housing that should be prioritized to Minnesota residents, and creating a community here that is so ghettoized that they never have to assimilate or adhere to anything that the United States values.
This is an excellent idea- you are clearly a sharp thinker! The only problem is that this doesn't go far enough!

We should really be taking a look at all the waves of immigrant communities, and look at sending back those who- like the Somalians- have a small portion that have been radicalized. Of course, we clearly need to start with the Germans. Few other nations have ever been actually ruled by their radicals the way the Germans were. They should all be sent back, including myself unfortunately due to my German background. Still, it is a small price to pay for the kind of purity you so rightly seek. Fox News much?

And you're dead on about southeast Minneapolis being ruined! I remember 15-20 years ago, Cedar Riverside was kind of a seedy, dirty, dangerous-feeling neighborhood. Now, it's a seedy, dirty, dangerous-feeling neighborhood!

It's weird how Minneapolis' crime rates are actually at historic lows despite the influx of east-African immigrants. It's almost as if facts don't seem to square with your and my clearly legitimate and non-racist concerns about them!

Do International Falls a huge favor and stay there! Demographers have been talking about a 'brain-drain' in greater Minnesota and posts like yours above gives me iron-clad certainty that you and people like you are on the front lines of keeping the gray matter alive out there in the hinterlands. You are a credit to your race!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM
 
Location: South Minneapolis
4,540 posts, read 5,078,110 times
Reputation: 6538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
This is an excellent idea- you are clearly a sharp thinker! The only problem is that this doesn't go far enough!

We should really be taking a look at all the waves of immigrant communities, and look at sending back those who- like the Somalians- have a small portion that have been radicalized. Of course, we clearly need to start with the Germans. Few other nations have ever been actually ruled by their radicals the way the Germans were. They should all be sent back, including myself unfortunately due to my German background. Still, it is a small price to pay for the kind of purity you so rightly seek. Fox News much?

And you're dead on about southeast Minneapolis being ruined! I remember 15-20 years ago, Cedar Riverside was kind of a seedy, dirty, dangerous-feeling neighborhood. Now, it's a seedy, dirty, dangerous-feeling neighborhood!

It's weird how Minneapolis' crime rates are actually at historic lows despite the influx of east-African immigrants. It's almost as if facts don't seem to square with your and my clearly legitimate and non-racist concerns about them!

Do International Falls a huge favor and stay there! Demographers have been talking about a 'brain-drain' in greater Minnesota and posts like yours above gives me iron-clad certainty that you and people like you are on the front lines of keeping the gray matter alive out there in the hinterlands. You are a credit to your race!

Thinly veiled personal attacks don't become you. You should have dropped the last two paragraphs. I was pretty much with you up to then, though you slapped on the sarcasm a bit heavily for my tastes. At least make an effort at disguising your contempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 AM
 
750 posts, read 731,892 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Thinly veiled personal attacks don't become you. You should have dropped the last two paragraphs. I was pretty much with you up to then, though you slapped on the sarcasm a bit heavily for my tastes. At least make an effort at disguising your contempt.
And not speaking out against attacks against entire communities because of the actions of a few individuals doesn't suit anyone in this forum, yet the failure to act happens all the time. Take a look at what you chose to speak out against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2014, 11:27 AM
 
Location: South Minneapolis
4,540 posts, read 5,078,110 times
Reputation: 6538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
And not speaking out against attacks against entire communities because of the actions of a few individuals doesn't suit anyone in this forum, yet the failure to act happens all the time. Take a look at what you chose to speak out against.
I didn't criticize the content of your post, only your methods, but you can't stay away from attacking people instead of ideas, can you? Oh, well, your call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2014, 11:58 AM
 
750 posts, read 731,892 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I didn't criticize the content of your post, only your methods, but you can't stay away from attacking people instead of ideas, can you? Oh, well, your call.
I didn't attack you, my intention is to get you to think about this:

Considering what you let pass without comment in this thread, and what you felt you had to object to: do you feel that 'becomes' you? Is not LACK of action or comment equally important?

Fundamentally, I feel that racist/xenophobic posts are worse than sarcasm/'thinly veiled personal attacks'. Do you agree or disagree? What do your responses so far indicate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2014, 12:10 PM
 
5,214 posts, read 3,030,805 times
Reputation: 17861
Do be careful about ascertaining the level of illegal behavior by the published crime rates. It is in the cities' and Police Departments' best interests to develop creative ways of reporting crime so as not to appear to be discriminating against some demographics.

I've been researching this from a number of different perspectives for several years now after noticing discrepancies in what actually happens and what is reported. There are multiple reasons for the reluctance to admit a problem, not the least of which is to focus on positive reinforcement rather than negative. In theory this would be the route to go.

We are having significant problems with hostile and illegal behavior in my small MN city. But it's very rare to see it in the news.

As far as this being the local citizens' fault for not being welcoming enough, I refuse to accept responsibility for that and no sensible person should. Disliking people for their appearance is irrational. Generally we dislike people when their behavior harms us in some way.

The city is liberal and has been promoting diversity for years. We want to keep up with the times. (Translate that to we want government money.) Our guests were welcomed and continue to be maintained with parties, food, vehicles, housing, jobs, if they want them, a mosque. We wave and smile. Sometimes they acknowledge us.

I'd be more apt to say that the attitude of some of our citizens toward our visitors became unfriendly after their less-than-citizenly behavior began. That would be drug dealing, rapes, assault, thievery, problems in the schools.

When you've opened your home to people it's especially offensive to have them behave badly. Doesn't it make sense that people would be having second thoughts about how friendly they want to be?

And in an effort to bring about resolution many of our guests are being appointed to decision-making positions. That should clear everything up, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
 
750 posts, read 731,892 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Do be careful about ascertaining the level of illegal behavior by the published crime rates. It is in the cities' and Police Departments' best interests to develop creative ways of reporting crime so as not to appear to be discriminating against some demographics.

I've been researching this from a number of different perspectives for several years now after noticing discrepancies in what actually happens and what is reported. There are multiple reasons for the reluctance to admit a problem, not the least of which is to focus on positive reinforcement rather than negative. In theory this would be the route to go.
Published crime rates are all we have to go on, unless you would like to share the kind of research you've been doing. Keep in mind, however, that such research would of course need to be replicable by others and must stand up to some sort of analysis. There seems to be a predilection in this forum for taking a constellation of events selected via the methodology of confirmation bias and presenting it as some sort of factual evidence. Usually, this approach is done to justify bias against entire communities, and it's done in lieu of actually valid research NOT showing what some people want it to.

In short, any 'research' showing evidence contradicting official published figures has the burden of proof to satisfy before it can be taken into account.

Quote:
Generally we dislike people when their behavior harms us in some way.
I wish I could agree but it's very much my impression that we dislike people because they are different. The historical record shows this exact kind of behavior towards every wave of immigrants going back to the late 19th century. Irish, Slavic, Hmong, what have you. None of these waves were not accompanied by bad apples, because no human community is unaccompanied by bad apples. We cannot hold one community responsible for the human condition yet give others a pass without it being discrimination.

Quote:
And in an effort to bring about resolution many of our guests are being appointed to decision-making positions. That should clear everything up, right?
Do you mean by this that we are allowing them to run for office and be elected into positions of power as if we are some sort of democracy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top