U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,749,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
We Minnesotans should all band together behind one common issue. We don't need to be divided in any way shape or form. I suggest we all support Global Warming. Who's with me?
I'm in. We need to join this group: Minnesotans for Global Warming.

If We Had Some Global Warming - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:12 PM

148 posts, read 116,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlFalls56649 View Post
First came the demands for their children to pray - within the Minneapolis Public Schools - many times per day
OH GOD THAT'S HORRIBLE AND UNCONSTITUT...wait, that's completely constitutional as long as it isn't led by the school itself. THOSE BASTARDS...?

Quote:
...only for their children to grow up robbing U of M students...
Agreed! I mean, take a look at all the alerts for crimes that happened on the West Bank of the U over the past year!

UM Police Department, Public Safety, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Five alerts for robberies over the span of 12 months! JUST SEND THEM BACK ALREADY, AMIRITE?!?

Quote:
But whoever it was, thanks a lot for ruining a good portion of southeast Minneapolis and importing yet another group of people who are never held accountable for anything, use up resources and housing that should be prioritized to Minnesota residents, and creating a community here that is so ghettoized that they never have to assimilate or adhere to anything that the United States values.
I'm going to actually get serious for a second...I went to the University for three years, lived on the border of Seven Corners and Cedar-Riverside for about a year of that. I went to class with Somalians, worked with them, was friends with them, had them as neighbors, and they were just fine. I had a better chance of getting sexually assaulted by college frat guys than getting robbed by a Somalian refugee, and I'm a guy. The food at Cedar-Riverside kicks ass, the people say hi back to you (Minnesota Nice!), and the most disgusting thing I've ever heard a refugee say was that my coworker "should think about eating less, and drop a few pounds"...to my Somalian coworker.* Obviously, just like any demographic, they're not all nice people, but just because three of them decided to take a hint from the movie Four Lions (Four Lions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and be stupid in the Middle East doesn't mean they should get labeled like that. This is America...focus on the individual, not the group.

*Who was fantastic, and honestly looked great anyway.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 344,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Prospector View Post
All immigrant groups have bad apples, unfortunately these guys were very rotten. That said, it seems backwards to me to shun an entire group of people based on the actions of a few.
Well then the solution is simple.....silently take a few .

Old 09-13-2014, 12:19 AM

410 posts, read 574,843 times
A relative of mine was ranting on Facebook today about radical Islam recruiting in Minneapolis and how it was all the fault of the liberals in the big city. (He lives in a tiny town in S. Minnesota). He went on to say how he liked his way of life with his bible and his guns.

I really wanted to post a response that since most of that recruiting was by Al Shabab of Somali immigrants, that perhaps he should look in the mirror, since it was LSS, an organization within his own church, that sponsored most of those immigrants.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:59 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,422,618 times
Some of you-- not all, but some-- seem to have a tenuous grasp on the details here. I've spent some time in human service nonprofits. I've met a lot of Somalis and think I know the history...

Lutheran Social Services was an agency that sponsored resettlement of Somalis in Minnesota. Initially, I believe that they did that on their own, and then partnered with the federal government. The feds have resettlement programs for refugees and asylum seekers from many, many war-torn countries. That is how the Sudanese ended up in Lincoln and the Bosnians ended up in St. Louis. The feds partner with many, many social service agencies on the ground in the US, which are expected to coordinate local efforts and connect the incoming immigrants to local resources.

Somalis were NOT (contrary to what has been reported in this thread) sent to Minneapolis in an effort to forcefully "diversify" the city. They were sent here because Minneapolis was identified by the feds as a good resettlement community. We were identified in that way because of our livability: we are low cost, low tax, and relatively high wage-- even at the bottom of the barrel, minimum wage level. In other words, if you don't like the Somalis here, go move to Boston or somewhere less livable, where the feds would never think to send them.

Initially, Somalis were resettled in meatpacking communities outstate. Eventually, they came to the Twin Cities. At that point, Somalis in Minnesota began acting as sponsors for relatives in refugee camps back home. Nobody rounded Somalis up en masse, cart blanche and brought them here. They had to go through an exhaustive process-- coordinated by NGO's in the refugee camps-- to obtain permission from the feds to get here. That process often takes years, and at the end of it, the feds have traditionally not been averse to splitting up families-- sending some here, leaving others over there.

It was also stated that the Somalis-- universally-- came over with "no education." That is categorically false. Although some were in poverty there, or did unskilled labor, many have the equivelent of masters degrees in fields like engineering and medicine. Many owned small businesses, or were community activists, teachers or professors. The Civil War in Somalia affected nearly every family there, across ethnic and socioeconomic lines. The reason why they are unable to practice in their previous professions HERE is because a degree from, say, the University of Nairobi is meaningless in the US. Our colleges and universities are accredited by a number of different agencies. If you receive a degree from a university that is not accredited-- be it foreign or domestic-- good luck finding a job in that field.

Minneapolis's crime rate may be up or down from twenty years ago....I don't know. What I will say is this: Cedar Riverside's and Phillips's and Powderhorn's and Seward's crime rates are WAY down from twenty years ago. I know this from living in the area and knowing long-term residents personally (and because I'm a stats geek). Housing occupancy in those neighborhoods is up. Owner-occupied housing is up. Homicides are down. Do any of you remember what Peavy Park was like before Project for Pride in Living intervened? Before the Somalis moved into the neighborhood? White people have been moving out of that area of Minneapolis en masse for at least forty years. Now that the Somalis have it, you all of the sudden want it back? Get real.

Many of the Somali renters that I knew years ago in Phillips are still there, in the same houses. Many of them are on rent-to-own programs. Many of them have opened businesses along Franklin, in commercial property that was either vacant twenty years ago, or occupied by peep shows and liquor stores. What would you rather have for that neighborhood? Liqour stores or kebab shops?

When Skyline Tower in St. Paul was given over to its first private property manager after St. Paul basically liquidated its own city public housing services, crime there was insane. That one tower accounted for 50% of the 911 calls in the precinct. After CommonBond Communities took it over, kicked out problematic renters (many of them single, male and white) and brought in families-- the VAST majority of them Somali or other East African-- crime at the property plummeted. It accounts for I think 5% of the 911 calls in the precinct now. Coincidence? So, who's more crime-prone, after all?

The radicalization of Somalis in our own community is a big and immediate concern. There are other concerns with that community, as well. For instance, educating a generation of ELL/ESL students has been a major financial challenge for Minneapolis and St. Paul Public Schools. But you make those investments in human capitol, because it tends to pay off. A majority of Somalis are concerned, upset, or incensed by the threat of radicalization to their youth. Community leaders are working to address the problem, and we can easily help them in those efforts.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, at least one of these radicals was not even of Somali descent....

Old 09-14-2014, 09:19 AM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
Listening to national news broadcasts I've noticed mixed messages about whether radical Islamists are in the US or not. I believe people in MN could answer that question in the affirmative.

Obama Didn

Old 09-14-2014, 01:49 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,055,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
In the early 1940's two relatives (both brothers and pilots but not military) joined the Flying Tigers to fight with the Chinese against the Japanese. This was a year or two before Pearl Harbor. They both saw combat before Pearl Harbor. Technically they forfeited their U.S. citizenship when they did this. The difference between what these brothers did then and what the U.S. citizens fighting with terrorists now is almost all of us know these Radical Islamists are the definition of terrorism. By the standards in place in 1938 the U.S. citizens fighting with these terrorists would be guilty of treason. AFAIK treason is a capital crime.

GL2
No, the difference is that ISIS and other terrorist groups are engaged in hostilities against the US, whereas China was not.

“A person who is a national of the United States whether by birth or naturalization, shall lose his nationality by voluntarily . . [and] with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality by . . . [enters], or [serves] in, the armed forces of a foreign state if such armed forces are engaged in hostilities against the United States[.]” 8 U.S.C. Section 1481(a)(3)(A).

To be fair, Section 1481 (a)(3)(B) provides that one may lose their US citizenship if they become an officer in a foreign army even if that country is not at war with the US.

But the point remains that one does not lose US citizenship simply by joining a foreign army.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:30 PM

98 posts, read 143,051 times
So while gay and lesbian Minnesotans - who most often WORK, pay taxes, and are usually born and raised in this state - had to wait for Minnesota to vote (and hope it passed) for the right to marry, as a state, we are supposed to just put up with all these immigrants from various parts of the Middle East, who are not at all prepared as far as education and money for economic survival in Minnesota - THAT wasn't something we were allowed to vote on?

I lived down there when they started arriving. My concern had to do with what they were told prior to arriving here. Especially when they arrive in the most expensive city in the state where even people with masters degrees can't find a job that pays a salary that keeps them in stable housing, it is a crime that whoever sponsored these people just left them to their own defences and wished them good luck, patted themselves on the back for their humanitarian work, and walked away. Guess who is paying for all those rents at Riverside Plaza, Loring Towers, the nights at jail, the unnecessary visits to HCMC's ER, etc? It was an enormous mistake to bring them to Minnesota. The only reason they were brought to this state is because all the services that are here are gone in California, New York, etc and states in between are quickly losing those social services due to overuse. The result is what you see dropped off every day at the bus depots in Minnesota's two poorest larger cities: Duluth and Minneapolis.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,422,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlFalls56649 View Post
So while gay and lesbian Minnesotans - who most often WORK, pay taxes, and are usually born and raised in this state - had to wait for Minnesota to vote (and hope it passed) for the right to marry, as a state, we are supposed to just put up with all these immigrants from various parts of the Middle East, who are not at all prepared as far as education and money for economic survival in Minnesota - THAT wasn't something we were allowed to vote on?

I lived down there when they started arriving. My concern had to do with what they were told prior to arriving here. Especially when they arrive in the most expensive city in the state where even people with masters degrees can't find a job that pays a salary that keeps them in stable housing, it is a crime that whoever sponsored these people just left them to their own defences and wished them good luck, patted themselves on the back for their humanitarian work, and walked away. Guess who is paying for all those rents at Riverside Plaza, Loring Towers, the nights at jail, the unnecessary visits to HCMC's ER, etc? It was an enormous mistake to bring them to Minnesota. The only reason they were brought to this state is because all the services that are here are gone in California, New York, etc and states in between are quickly losing those social services due to overuse. The result is what you see dropped off every day at the bus depots in Minnesota's two poorest larger cities: Duluth and Minneapolis.
1. Your analogy is unequivocal. When have you ever gotten the right to vote on who relocates to Minnesota? Now, we could introduce a bill or even a referendum on limiting immigration-- setting quotas, and so forth. That's fine. I'd be all for that process. I can also pretty much guarantee that that one doesn't get settled until it goes all the way up to the US Supreme Court, and if you're really concerned with wasteful spending of tax dollars, you definitely don't want to see that happen...

2. See my post. They didn't come over uneducated, or unprepared, and nobody dropped them off and said "Good Luck" and called it a day. There is an extensive network of services-- private and public-- set up to help immigrants, and Lutheran Social Services ("whoever sponsored these people," or at least, the agency that coordinated much of the sponsoring) have been providing those on the ground services from the get-go. It has ALWAYS worked that way with immigrants. When my family arrived in Chicago from Ireland, they had people greeting them at the train depot, patting them on the back, asking if they needed a job, knew where to go to find a rental, knew what school to go to, what church, etc. Same exact deal.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 PM

405 posts, read 408,422 times
I love that the descendants of immigrants who more than likely came to this country to escape religious/state-sponsored persecution are freaking about other immigrants coming to the country now for the same reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota