U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM
 
1,485 posts, read 1,902,619 times
Reputation: 1463

Advertisements

it seems like St Cloud and the surrounding areas are nice more suburban semi rural areas, like Princeton and Big Lake......Becker and etc.......other then the biting long cold winters. How is St Cloud these days? Nice place?

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 10-02-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 PM
 
1,485 posts, read 1,902,619 times
Reputation: 1463
how long are the winters actually? around say Big Lake..around 7 to 8 months??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 AM
 
137 posts, read 160,644 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
how long are the winters actually? around say Big Lake..around 7 to 8 months??
What's your definition of winter? If you count daytime highs in the 60's with an overnight low in the upper 30's, you might be able to stretch it to 7 months. The only way you'll get to 8 is if you start counting from the first chilly night in September and ignore any nice weather that comes after it. Search for St. Cloud on this site and look at the average temperature graph (and maybe snowfall). The graphs are a pretty good representation of what to expect. Just keep in mind that especially March, April, September, and October tend to stray pretty far in both directions from the average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2014, 07:51 AM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,382,372 times
Reputation: 2167
It's more like 6 months. November through April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2014, 02:36 PM
 
1,485 posts, read 1,902,619 times
Reputation: 1463
ok thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2014, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
3 posts, read 3,290 times
Reputation: 10
St. Cloud area seems like a good fit for you starrider. I'm originally from Canada and the Minnesota weather is pretty much the same all around Central and North Central Minnesota. St. Cloud has a great VA community another more remote community that many people over look is just south east of the Alexandria area in a town of Glenwood.

I'm a real estate broker who has people in the twin cities, st. cloud and up in the alexandria area as well. Shoot me a direct message if you want to connect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 AM
 
Location: New Hope, MN
2,030 posts, read 4,187,237 times
Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBroker View Post
St. Cloud area seems like a good fit for you starrider. I'm originally from Canada and the Minnesota weather is pretty much the same all around Central and North Central Minnesota. St. Cloud has a great VA community another more remote community that many people over look is just south east of the Alexandria area in a town of Glenwood.

I'm a real estate broker who has people in the twin cities, st. cloud and up in the alexandria area as well. Shoot me a direct message if you want to connect.
Yet another real estate agent that signs up to try and solicit people. Sigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 11:33 PM
 
1,485 posts, read 1,902,619 times
Reputation: 1463
I was just there, didn't like it really that much, too flat, cold, and yea, way too flat for me, not enough trees,... Minneapolis and St Cloud...felt weird to me, culturally as well...I looked at some homes and left 3 days later, cut the trip short, flew back out west...I don't think MN is for me, but at least I went and spent a few days to see, and have a look. Just my opinion and experience, wasn't feeling it.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 12-05-2014 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2014, 09:22 PM
 
948 posts, read 1,144,660 times
Reputation: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
I was just there, didn't like it really that much, too flat, cold, and yea, way too flat for me, not enough trees,... Minneapolis and St Cloud...felt weird to me, culturally as well...I looked at some homes and left 3 days later, cut the trip short, flew back out west...I don't think MN is for me, but at least I went and spent a few days to see, and have a look. Just my opinion and experience, wasn't feeling it.
There's no substitute to first hand experience, though you should have been able to obtain enough information to know about the flatness and the cold via information on the internet. Why not just move to a cheaper part of WA state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 03:00 PM
 
1,485 posts, read 1,902,619 times
Reputation: 1463
There is no cheaper part of WA state, there is nowhere that compares to home prices with a little acreage like anywhere in WA, like there is say,...in Big Lake MN, or Becker for example. Even Spokane has crappy inventory in my price range. I am thinking more like North West Arkansas as a possibility, along with a few other states. I just don't think I want to retire to a place where the cold is prevalent for so long, such as a place like Idaho Falls, ID for instance and etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top