Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 01:17 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,426,844 times

Advertisements

If so i would like to ask if its worth it money wise? I always hear people wanting to move their because its so cheap but is the cost of living low enough to make a move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 10:37 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,098,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
If so i would like to ask if its worth it money wise? I always hear people wanting to move their because its so cheap but is the cost of living low enough to make a move there?
Hard to make money over there. Pay is LOW. Population is SPARSE. Where/what area would you be looking at?

Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Hard to make money over there. Pay is LOW. Population is SPARSE. Where/what area would you be looking at?
Probably Sioux Falls

Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,168,984 times
Quote:
Probably Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls is South Dakota's largest city and is growing steadily with a population of over 150,000 people which surprises many people. Some banks/credit card companies have located a few payment processing centers there, which could be a source of employment. I have no knowledge of what those jobs pay, though. It is not as scenic as the Rapid City area near the Black Hills, but is conveniently located near the SD/MN border meaning you could more easily visit some MN family/friends/relatives. The Twin Cities are approx. 230 miles away. Mankato is about 160 miles away and Pipestone is less than 50 miles away. It is the most convenient SD city for weekend trips to the Twin Cities and other southern MN cities.

I don't know anyone who lives there, but it should be easier to find a good job there than any other SD city. Plus, it keeps you close to MN for occasional visits.

Last edited by chessgeek; 11-28-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 PM

14 posts, read 18,324 times
This thread is a little old I think, but I grew up in SD, in Sioux Falls. It is hard to find jobs here, pay tends to be low. Schools are about 1 year behind Minnesota schools. It's a tough climate. No income tax but you pay taxes on food and clothing. It can be difficult to be accepted as an outsider, social groups are formed and are very tight. Cost of housing and living is similar in Minnesota, Iowa, etc. It is a very windy place. I'm happy to answer other questions. I am hoping to move out again. Did you move here? Are you happy with the move?

Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writingfriend View Post
This thread is a little old I think, but I grew up in SD, in Sioux Falls. It is hard to find jobs here, pay tends to be low. Schools are about 1 year behind Minnesota schools. It's a tough climate. No income tax but you pay taxes on food and clothing. It can be difficult to be accepted as an outsider, social groups are formed and are very tight. Cost of housing and living is similar in Minnesota, Iowa, etc. It is a very windy place. I'm happy to answer other questions. I am hoping to move out again. Did you move here? Are you happy with the move?
I am a "low skilled" person with no high education so i would be mostly looking at retail or restaurant jobs. that is one negative i have noticed is the low wages, here in Minnesota a low skilled person has it pretty good compared to the rest of the country so we are kind of spoiled here.

Schools and climate don't bother me.

No i have not moved to SD, still living in MN.

How is it in Rapid City vs Sioux Falls?

and is there sort of a "redneck vibe" even in the cities (Sioux Falls, Rapid City) ?

I've had to work in Rural Wisconsin and the people were really nice and all but they were just different and i felt pretty uncomfortable and out of place, i've lived in a suburb of a large city my whole life.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:39 AM

335 posts, read 328,086 times
Quote:
I am a "low skilled" person with no high education so i would be mostly looking at retail or restaurant jobs. that is one negative i have noticed is the low wages, here in Minnesota a low skilled person has it pretty good compared to the rest of the country so we are kind of spoiled here.

and is there sort of a "redneck vibe" even in the cities (Sioux Falls, Rapid City) ?

I've had to work in Rural Wisconsin and the people were really nice and all but they were just different and i felt pretty uncomfortable and out of place, i've lived in a suburb of a large city my whole life.
Curious then why you are interested in moving to S.D.?

If you are looking for connectivity to more nature while still needing to find employment then Rapid City is by far your better choice. The Black Hills are outstanding for getting out of town, and they are right up to Rapid City of course. It's also very close to the Badlands and the Grasslands.

Then again as someone else just pointed out Sioux Falls is a surprising commercial hub. But just in the middle of nothing to do no where to go.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:40 PM

379 posts, read 357,606 times
People in Sioux Falls are generally conservative, but not in a redneck way. More like Ned Flanders.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:56 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,861,942 times
Quote:

I'm from Sioux Falls. It's a vibrant and growing city with a very strong medical community as well as the banking industry, primarily in the credit card field.

Manufacturing jobs that pay well are not abundant unless you are a welder and as such be in high demand. Jobs are plentiful at the Morrell's packing house, but pay is mediocre and the working conditions suck. If you only speak English you will be in a small minority.

The cost of living, especially in housing is a lot less than the Twin Cities. As mentioned before, you aren't exempt in paying sales tax for food or clothing. The sales tax in Sioux Falls is 6% in comparison to the state income tax in Minnesota of 6.875%.

You'll find that the city of Sioux Falls doesn't have a "redneck" atmosphere in general. When you get outside the city maybe about 40 miles it definitely is a more rural feel and you just might enjoy it.

Based on your posts you stated that you don't have a high education or any real occupation. However, I can tell by your sentence structures that you can formulate your thoughts well. I'm pretty sure you could find a decent paying job at one of the credit card companies. Most likely you'll start out on the telephone answering calls in either customer retention or sales. Some people take to this right away and others don't. I know quite a few people that work there and have made it a career.

The biggest difference you'll find between the Twin Cities and Sioux Falls is in major entertainment, primarily the sports scene, the U. of Minnesota, Guthrie Theater, Valley Fair, the lakes around the Twin Cities and the relatively short commute north to the woods. With the new Sanford Premier Center, Sioux Falls can now get all the top concerts that come to the Twin Cities.

One thing you'll absolutely love about SF is that when you're driving to and from work, it won't take near as long. Our traffic here, though getting worse as we grow, pales in comparison the TC metro area. The other thing is safety. We don't have any part of this town that comes close to being "ghetto" like. You can drive or walk through any neighborhood safely during the day. There are a couple neighborhoods that I wouldn't recommend for nightly excursions however.

I assume that you're fairly young. Sioux Falls is a very youthful city. This is primarily due to the main industries here that I mentioned earlier as well as the fact that in the outlying parts of our state there aren't a lot of job opportunities for young people.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:09 PM

5,340 posts, read 14,098,517 times
Quote:

Rapid City would be even lower pay....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota