U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 3,080 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from STL to Albertville, MN. Now that's where my husband will be working so we don't have to necessarily be living there but I'm clueless on what are great nearby towns. He can commute about a half an hour. The biggest thing we want is a good elementry school, safe neighborhood and access to shopping, groceries, target and so on. We will be renting since this will be our second relocation for work and unsure where they will move us next. Any point in the right direction will help with my research so I can set up housing appointments and school tours for our visit in three weeks. Thank you all!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:03 AM

137 posts, read 160,644 times
I don't think you will find any reason not to live right in Albertville or nearby St. Michael. To my knowledge, they are exactly what you want.

Albertville is combined with its larger neighbor St. Michael into one school district (commonly referred to as STMA). I'm not intimately familiar, but I'd expect the schools are good. At a quick glance, their test scores are high at all levels. While I've known some great schools with lousy test scores, I've never seen the opposite. As recently as 20 years ago, both were relatively sleepy towns on the periphery of the Twin Cities metro area. The population has since boomed. They're pretty much the textbook definition of exurbs- essentially a cross between a small town and suburb.

If you go in any direction from there, you'll find more of the same. Zimmerman, Elk River, and Rogers are all one school district. They used to all go to Elk River for high school, but they opened high schools in Rogers and Zimmerman about ten years ago. Of those, Rogers would probably be best for you. Becker and Big Lake would give a slightly smaller-town feel. If you want a bona-fide suburb, you could look at Maple Grove. Buffalo, Rockford, and Monticello round out the nearby options. Everything in that area will be fairly similar and STMA may actually be the best for you anyway. Those smaller county and state highways get surprisingly busy during peak times. In your case, I think the "great nearby town" is Albertville itself.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:20 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,170,562 times
St. Michael is really a nice suburb though I don't know how much rental you will find there. A lot of newer homes have been built there since the opening of the Albertville mall. Seems like there is a LOT of traffic on 94 right by 101 so try not to make that part of the commute where ever you end up. The smaller roads are no fun in winter snow either. Try St. Michael if you can.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,080 times
Thanks! You are right as far as rentals it's been tough to figure that out. We've looked into Monticello and maple grove as well. My biggest concern is schools and easy access to shopping (groceries/household)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota