U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 PM

752 posts, read 536,700 times

Advertisements

If somebody were considering living around the border, along 94, what would be the main differences between living on one side of the border vs the other.

I've heard that property taxes are higher in WI, income taxes are higher in MN, and car insurance is lower in WI. What other differences are there? What about the schools?

Also, what about cultural differences? I read that Hudson was a bit "red neck". Would this be a problem for a Japanese family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 02:33 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,441,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
If somebody were considering living around the border, along 94, what would be the main differences between living on one side of the border vs the other.

I've heard that property taxes are higher in WI, income taxes are higher in MN, and car insurance is lower in WI. What other differences are there? What about the schools?

Also, what about cultural differences? I read that Hudson was a bit "red neck". Would this be a problem for a Japanese family?
It would seem the major difference is if you'd rather live in a home made out of modern construction materials and furnishings or out of sod and furniture fashioned from beer case empties.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,832,316 times
Quote:

Very little - that's what the differences would be.

Loathe though many Minnesotans and Wisconsinites might be to admit it, there simply are not many significant differences between the states. Some minor differences do exist, but of all the 49 states not named Minnesota, the most similar is Wisconsin - and of all the 49 states not named Wisconsin, the most similar is Minnesota.

And that's as a whole - comparing the specific border regions along either side of the MN-WI border further reduces those differences that do exist.

As for schools, differences will manifest themselves more from district to district more as a whole than crossing the border.

All of that said, Stillwater certainly differs from Hudson - it is more upscale, its schools are better (primary due to the former - having more money, as property taxes drive school funding) with more of an urban than outstate vibe. But none of these differences derive from a state border being between the two towns.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Wouldn't there be other differences resulting from different government policies from one state vs the other?

Obviously the difference in car insurance rates is due to that. When my sister used to live in WI, she often boasted that she had full coverage on her car for less than what it would cost her to get minimum coverage in MN, because WI law didn't require people to buy car insurance. Are there other differences between the states based on government policies of each state?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM

464 posts, read 626,489 times
Quote:
Obviously the difference in car insurance rates is due to that. When my sister used to live in WI, she often boasted that she had full coverage on her car for less than what it would cost her to get minimum coverage in MN, because WI law didn't require people to buy car insurance.
That's completely false. WI has slightly lower injury limits, but they definitely require insurance.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the correction QuietBlue. To be honest, my sister lived there over 20 years ago, and a lot can change in that time. I guess the insurance rates wouldn't be that different anymore.

Any other differences besides property tax and income tax?
Any difference in school policies?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 PM

492 posts, read 537,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
That's completely false. WI has slightly lower injury limits, but they definitely require insurance.
No.

Wisconsin DID NOT require auto insurance until 2010. Even after the insurance mandate took effect, they did not require proof of insurance at the time of registration, as many states do. Drivers are only required to provide evidence of insurance if they are pulled over. The "mandate" is more or less an honor system.

It is very possible that not having an insurance requirement and/or not actively enforcing a requirement contributed to a more favorable risk pool, which would lower premiums for those that chose to purchase insurance.

Requiring auto insurance and enforcing those requirements will almost always create an adverse selection issue. If people are required to have auto insurance, they have to be able to buy it at an affordable price. This is usually accomplished by mandate on the insurance companies, which forces them to charge higher premiums for everyone.

In other words, "it's not completely false." Check your facts.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM

137 posts, read 160,852 times
The differences in your circumstance would be entirely state laws, taxes, and those sorts of things. Wisconsin as a whole has a distinct- albeit very similar- culture to Minnesota. Other than rooting for the Packers on Sundays, Hudson is far more similar culturally to Minnesota than Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Loathe though many Minnesotans and Wisconsinites might be to admit it, there simply are not many significant differences between the states. Some minor differences do exist, but of all the 49 states not named Minnesota, the most similar is Wisconsin - and of all the 49 states not named Wisconsin, the most similar is Minnesota.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but Minnesotans are even more reluctant to admit similarities with Iowa.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM

464 posts, read 626,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
In other words, "it's not completely false." Check your facts.
Check your assumptions first. I was referring to whether or not insurance is required, which it is, as you yourself point out. There are states where it's not required, but WI is not among them.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,384,689 times
Hudson is more "redneck" than say, Stillwater.

Whether it will be an issue is another story. Hard to say. Probably a bigger issue for kids in school than adults.

That said, the concern should be less that your kids will run into issues with rednecks, but that they will turn into rednecks themselves.

I'm not convinced there's any compelling reason to live on the WI side of the river, unless your job is over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or