U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:44 PM

28,801 posts, read 2,374,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Anyone remember parking on the hwy 61 back in the day at the old bridge was in service at Gooseberry?
Yes I do. I like the new place so much better, which I worked at when I lived in Silver Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 02:56 AM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
155 posts, read 277,500 times
Thank you guys so much for all of your responses and input! I appreciate every single reply, no matter how short or long! It really helps and I enjoy reading them! I have another question, of which I'm not quite sure how to ask without sounding pathetic but I'm on Social Security Disability so I'm wondering would I be a tax burden on Minnesota and whichever city in which I choose to live if I were to move up here? I'd like to maybe possibly try to find some kind of part time job to make some extra money and so that I wouldn't feel like a completely useless leech but I was just curious about that. Thank you in advance for all of your input!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 AM

186 posts, read 123,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
Thank you guys so much for all of your responses and input! I appreciate every single reply, no matter how short or long! It really helps and I enjoy reading them! I have another question, of which I'm not quite sure how to ask without sounding pathetic but I'm on Social Security Disability so I'm wondering would I be a tax burden on Minnesota and whichever city in which I choose to live if I were to move up here? I'd like to maybe possibly try to find some kind of part time job to make some extra money and so that I wouldn't feel like a completely useless leech but I was just curious about that. Thank you in advance for all of your input!

If you find yourself near the "Castle Danger" area, you NEED to hit up the "Rustic Inn" for some lunch and PIE. Totally the best pie around, bar none. Bon appetit

Old 10-02-2014, 11:16 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,391,602 times
There's also a new Castle Danger brewery and taproom in Two Harbors.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:56 PM

28,801 posts, read 2,374,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TateFan333 View Post
If you find yourself near the "Castle Danger" area, you NEED to hit up the "Rustic Inn" for some lunch and PIE. Totally the best pie around, bar none. Bon appetit
So true! That is where I recommend, also. Too many people think Betty's is the place to go since it's been there so long and gets more publicity. But seriously - go to the Rustic Inn!

Old 10-06-2014, 04:27 PM

441 posts, read 360,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Don't know if anyone ever catches the Motion show on the KSTP sub-channel Motion Network (5.7) but, they recently aired a segment on Minnesota's North Shore...

Lake Superior's North Shore - Motion | The Live Well Network
Oh goodness, I love that show!!!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Location: In that state that's next to that other state which is below that other state next to the water
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Don't know if anyone ever catches the Motion show on the KSTP sub-channel Motion Network (5.7) but, they recently aired a segment on Minnesota's North Shore...

Lake Superior's North Shore - Motion | The Live Well Network
Thank you very much for sharing this video, it was incredible!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:03 PM

I was going to buy a permit so that I could see and do more but I kept finding all of these free places so I visited the free parks and I was amazed at how much I could see. I definitely want to get a permit someday but I decided not to this time. I stopped at several of the free lake access beaches and walked along the water. I didn't swim but I got my feet wet and my dog swam. She wanted to swim out further but I didn't have on my swimsuit plus I didn't want to swim in the cold water. We both had a lot of fun. We managed to see the free parts of Gooseberry Falls at the wayside rest area and then we stayed at the Tettegouche State Park Visitor's Center the next night and went for several walks. We then worked our way up to Grand Marais, where I had pizza and breadsticks from Sven & Ole's, which was good! We walked in Grand Marais a little bit and sat by the water. We drove up to Grand Portage because I wanted to see that area too, it was neat and beautiful with the big mountains! I really enjoyed the North Shore and can't wait to return! After several days on the beautiful North Shore I was ready to head over to my second home, International Falls! I was worn out after driving from Grand Portage to I Falls but I really wanted to make it there that night. It's weird how I feel kind of at home in I Falls, it's perfectly sized for my tastes and I know where most places are in I Falls. As with last time, I was once again very impressed with I Falls. I don't know what it is but for some reason I like it there. It's definitely not perfect and I know that it has its problems but there's just something about the area that appeals to me. I was somewhat surprised by how relatively lively the downtown area was. I'm not saying that it were Time's Square or anything but it seemed like there were a decent number of businesses downtown and a decent amount of people out walking around. I like the murals too. I'm still considering possibly moving to MN someday but I'm concerned about the cold as well as the distance from family but I haven't completely ruled it out yet. I've heard that it helps to stay active and do things outside in the Winter time but I'm not sure how much I could do. I'd love to try snowmobiling someday. I think that the only way that I'll ever know for sure is to try it out some day but don't know if I'll ever have the guts to do it. Ideally it would be nice to try for a year or so as a trial run but we'll see. Coming from Dayton,Ohio area, I wonder how hard it would be for me to get used to MN's climate.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:09 PM

3,999 posts, read 5,156,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikälskaren View Post
Coming from Dayton,Ohio area, I wonder how hard it would be for me to get used to MN's climate.
Eh, cold is cold no matter where you are. You see cold there too, you just don't get a chance to have some stable coldness. Anyone can get used to it.

Were I there in Dayton area, I'd be enjoying the WP AF Museum. I love that place! Nothing like it in MN.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Eh, cold is cold no matter where you are. You see cold there too, you just don't get a chance to have some stable coldness. Anyone can get used to it.

Were I there in Dayton area, I'd be enjoying the WP AF Museum. I love that place! Nothing like it in MN.
That's very true. And MN has an abundance of Winter recreation options from which to choose so that probably keeps Winter from becoming as boring as it may be in other states. That's reassuring to hear that I should be able to acclimate to Minnesota's climate. And I should go to the WP AF Museum. I've only been there once years ago. It's so easy to take for granted and forget about what I have right here! I like the Wright brothers historical places and I like walking downtown as well as along the river. I like the many metroparks that we have in the Dayton area and Ohio in general. I LOVE scenic parks! That's something that I love about MN too because MN has excellent parks and superior scenery in my opinion. I think that it's awesome how MN (is it lazy to write MN instead of Minnesota lol?) and Ohio have many urban parks which beautifully blend nature with urban atmospheres and of course the many scenic parks in the more remote areas of both states. WI and MI also have some beautiful scenery that I love. I was thinking about something and I'd love to get feedback and perhaps some insight if possible as to what it means. As most, if not all of you know by now, I really enjoy visiting and spending time in International Falls and the surrounding area but I don't really do much of anything exciting while I'm there. I pretty much do exactly what I do while I'm here in Ohio. I only do the everyday routine things when I visit International Falls and yet I have a blast and can't wait to return. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse and I apologise for what's probably a very boring post on my part but I wonder what does that mean that I love to visit and spend time in International Falls despite my doing basically the same sorts of things that I'd be doing were I at home in Ohio. Any thoughts? I enjoy the other parts of MN as well but the reasons for my enjoying the North Shore, Twin Cities and other areas are more obvious and make more sense than my enjoyment of the International Falls area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or