U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 12:38 PM

18 posts, read 36,291 times

Advertisements

I may be attending college here, and I'd like to know what locals opinions are about Marshall and living there as a student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 02:59 PM

137 posts, read 160,644 times
One regular poster on here has repeatedly sung praises of Marshall. I've never been there, but I'm sure it's a perfectly pleasant- if somewhat isolated- small town. There won't be the exciting entertainment of a hip cosmopolitan metropolis, but you'll be able to buy groceries, dine at a few restaurants- chain and non-chain- and find most of what you need.

While I do not know anything about Marshall specifically, I did go to a small college in a small town. You should invest far more energy looking into campus activities through the college than what's offered in town. Find out what sorts of clubs, intramural sports, fine arts, and other activities the college offers for students. Do they have things like on-campus movies? What are intramural sports programs like? What kind of recitals and performances does the music department sponsor? What extracurricular activities do they have that interest you? Do students have to pay admission to concerts, recitals, ballgames, plays, musicals, and other events? A good small college in a small town should offer enough to keep you busy with minimal need to head off campus for entertainment.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:24 PM

2,697 posts, read 3,746,884 times
Marshall will have a cheaper cost of living than larger u-towns. The town itself is around 15,000 and has quite an active community for arts and sports. Brau Brothers moved their brewery to Marshall this year and have a decent brew-pub.

As pointed out, your social scene will probably be mostly affiliated with the university. For more choices, Sioux Falls, SD, is only 90 minutes away, and Minneapolis about 3 hours. Mankato is maybe 2 1/2 hours drive.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM

What are the people like? Is it a more conservative or liberal area? Religious I would assume like most smaller towns

Old 10-02-2014, 10:18 AM

2,697 posts, read 3,746,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdaytoday View Post
What are the people like? Is it a more conservative or liberal area? Religious I would assume like most smaller towns
Like most places these days, Marshall has the complete continuum of people. It isn't overly liberal or conservative. It is the economic and health care center for the SW part of the state, so it has attracted a wide range of people.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:12 AM

Can anyone else comment on the culture of Marshall? I am seeking to get out of the Bible Belt, but I don't want to make the mistake of going into a rural northern town and having it be just as repressive as I found the south to be.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:27 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,382,372 times
The college students in those rural towns like Crookston, Marshall, Bemidji, Morris, Northfield, St. Peter, Collegeville, etc do not really interact with the local townsfolk. There is not much to any of the towns besides a few strips of big box stores and a handful of local business. Bemidji is probably the nicest one, but mostly for outdoors stuff like fishing, hunting, snowmobiling and stuff like that. Keep in mind that it's dark, freezing cold and covered with snow for about 2/3 of the school year. I wouldn't say it's repressive but I wouldn't expect to find much of anything to do off campus.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:22 PM

From what I've seen through pictures and google maps, it looks like there isn't much to the town, but it looks like a pretty little town nonetheless.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:12 PM

209 posts, read 188,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

As pointed out, your social scene will probably be mostly affiliated with the university. For more choices, Sioux Falls, SD, is only 90 minutes away, and Minneapolis about 3 hours. Mankato is maybe 2 1/2 hours drive.
Actually, you can be in Mankato in less than 2 hours. It's 100 miles from Marshall.

As far as religion goes, you'll find protestants, catholics, jehovah's witnesses and mormons here but the only ones that may bother you is the mormons. If you see 2 young men in white shirts and black pants with back packs, don't go to the door.

If you like to eat out or drink, you'll feel right at home in Marshall. Restaurants seem to come and go. We got a Pizza Ranch a couple years ago and then the Pizza Hut and Godfathers both closed up. Our KFC/A&W closed up a couple months ago but in the last year we also added an Italian restaurant and another Mexican restaurant and another Asian restaurant will be coming soon. I don't drink and prefer not to spend money on eating out so I stay home and watch the birds in my back yard at my feeders. I'm an outdoors type of guy so I'd much rather live up north around the lakes and woods and not have to deal with the incessant wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or