U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,990 times

Advertisements

I've always imagined myself living in a log house where it's cold and it snows a LOT. I'd also like to fish in a lake and be able to hunt when I want. Mountains are a plus. Not too far away would be a city for entertainment, where I could get anything I need, and just have general conveniences.

I read that the people in Minnesota are friendly and that it has the highest quality of life out of any US state, so that's great. Low crime and so on. But disregarding that log house comment since that will come in the future when I'm ready to build, what would be the cost of living per month on average? I'll probably move up there for a while to feel things out, maybe for 6 months or so.

A job isn't necessary since I'm self employed over the interwebs and I'm sure I can swing whatever the cost will be. I'm just curious as to what I'd be looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,849,003 times
Forget about mountains.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,733,534 times
if you wan't a LOT of snow I'd go somewhere like UP of Michigan, Truckee CA, the Adirondacks, or Stevens Pass WA. Although MN is a cold place, it would only be in the middle of the list of the snowiest places.
There are no mountains in MN. Fishing and hunting are great. A lot of people live something like your desired lifestyle up in the Ely area. Most people up there are kind of poor so it can be done for relatively little money.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:26 PM

4,063 posts, read 4,216,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
if you wan't a LOT of snow I'd go somewhere like UP of Michigan, Truckee CA, the Adirondacks, or Stevens Pass WA. Although MN is a cold place, it would only be in the middle of the list of the snowiest places.
It depends on how you measure 'snowiest.' In the winter the TC is north of most major fronts, and the systems moving south/SE across the Canadian plains don't pick up a lot of moisture as it's cold and the smaller lakes of the plains are frozen.

So in terms of inches of snowfall, MN is behind other areas where the storm systems are different. Minneapolis gets about half the snowfall of Grand Rapids MI/Buffalo/Erie, and a bit less than downtown Cleveland or Denver. (Duluth is higher, but that region has a different microclimate than most of the state)

However where MN shines is in measures of snow cover. Mpls averages about 100 days a year with 1 inch of snow cover on the ground. Most of the places with higher snowfall are warmer, so you get cycles of snowfall and snow melt (with the concomitant issues slush and ice bring). In MN you'll get less snow fall, but the snow that does fall will stick around longer.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM

209 posts, read 188,860 times
Cost of living really depends on where you live. Mountains? Good one.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 20 days ago)

5,395 posts, read 2,856,656 times
Aside from mountains, it seems like Northern Minnesota is a good fit. It's got lots of woods and lakes, very cold. A lot of snow. (Not Michigan levels, but with how long the snow lasts, would you really want THAT much snow?)

Old 10-26-2014, 04:01 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,668,514 times
Your best bet is to visit and check out various areas in Minnesota. Anything on the north-eastern side of the state would have desirable "in the woods" log cabin areas. Check out Ely-Virginia-Tower-Babbitt-Aurora areas... Also, if you want to be a little closer to the twin cities, Hinckley, Pine City, Forest Lake areas are not bad either. I live in Bemidji, in the north central part of the state, and we have a lot of pine trees and mixed hardwoods, lakes and natural beauty. Nope, no mountains. You may wish to consider Montana or Wyoming if you want mountains/cabin places.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM

25 posts, read 33,446 times
Minnesota is not too mountainous. The highest point in the state (Eagle Mtn.) is only a little bit above the minimum height to be classified as a mountain (2,000 ft.). So if you're looking for some terrain, you're only bet is Northeastern Minnesota. You mention you want to be close to a city, the closest you're going to find is Duluth (Unless you're willing to go across the border to Thunder Bay). If you want big city amenities however, you're stuck driving 3-4 hours to the TC. If you want a mountain paradise, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, or Utah (if you're LDS) would be my recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or