Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,272 times

Advertisements

I am possibly looking at relocating to New Ulm for a job at the 3M plant. Is there anyone who would like to offer some info about the town, housing (preferably an apartment for now) and about the plant there? I am from Missouri so I am well aware of what its like to live in snow and cold. I am very fond of snow skiing so I would be interested in that activity also! I have a husband and no children to drag along with me. I do have a dog and I see there are alot of no pet policies for accomodations. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
New Ulm is a quaint town. I don't know any specifics about apartments or rentals but for the most part there aren't any bad areas. There are a lot of parks and things to do in town. There is a ski hill in Mankato, about 30 miles away. It is colder here then it is in Missouri but not all that much colder, it just sticks around longer.

The area around the Cathedral is nice if you see anything in that area available. You might want to check with a local real estate agent to see if they have any rentals, often your best bet in smaller towns.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 AM

137 posts, read 609,532 times
Every time I think of New Ulm, I get the image of polka dancing senior citizens and the infamous two-story outhouse.
But seriously, if you are into the German culture thing, New Ulm is a nice community. Go for it.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 AM

419 posts, read 2,014,169 times
Wink New Ulm is the most German Town in America

New Ulm has the highest percentage of people who link their ancestry to Germany than any city its size or larger in America. I find the culture to be very German. I find the people to be neat and clean, efficent, timely, organized and cold. Every German stereotype is found in the people in New Ulm. I would suspect it to be very closed and cliquish.

I do not ever remember seeing a minority in New Ulm ever. It is 99.99% White.

Check out the Kaiserhoff in downtown New Ulm next time you are in town. Great food and atmosphere.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,496,896 times
If you like German beer or just beer you will love it there.

Just kidding.

Lovely hometown feeling there.

Can't help you on housing though, sorry.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM

28 posts, read 95,920 times
Your best bet for rentals is to look through the local paper "The Journal." The town isn't too big - @ 30,000....so not sure how many options there would be for renting but I'm sure they exist. I dont recall seeing a lot of apts anywhere, you may end up renting a house - remember air cond. and heating costs are a consideration.

Mankato is the closest place for skiing - small but it does the job.

Cute, clean town and VERY German. Can be hard to fit in as an "outsider" since you're not from there...but that's like most small towns. Generally more flat and less green than Missouri ....with harsh winters and hot, humid summers - but that wont be too new to you. There is a small teacher's college there. Most people are white, Catholic or Lutheran. Mostly blue collar jobs and farming. 3M is a good paying job there.

Fair shopping in Mankato (@ 30 min away) but the best shopping and anything truly "metropolitan" will be in "the Cities" which means Minneapolis/St Paul....which is @ 1 1/2-2 hrs away. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
New Ulm has about 10,000 people and is a VERY hilly town.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 AM

28 posts, read 95,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
New Ulm has about 10,000 people and is a VERY hilly town.
You're right, I stand corrected....New Ulm isn't as big as I thought.....the city data's info says the pop. is @ 13,000.

I meant that New Ulm is less hilly in comparison to where I've been in Missouri...but I haven't been everywhere in Missouri.

For a midwest town, it IS hilly....to me, it is quite a pretty town.

Sorry for the confusion!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,814 times
i just got relocated to new ulm sounds like a challenge for my boyfriend to get a job. and also a rental home i am also from missouri and lived in sioux falls, sd for a few years. i believe it will be just as cold as sioux falls which is alot colder than missouri. just not as much wind

Old 11-09-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,790 times
I live in New Ulm, and also came here from Joplin area 5 yrs ago .. Love it here .. the people I have met are very nice and very friendly .. but then seniors have to stick together LOL being retired was a better deal for me to move here as this town has made us welcome .. hope you enjoy your life here .. oh and do explore the town its fun for everyone !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota