U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:25 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,562,041 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a married mom of 4, 2 oldest are grown. Our youngest son is 7 and has cerebral palsy & is visually impaired. We have heard wonderful things about the Gillette Children's Hospital in St Paul and what they do for kids w/ CP, so we are seriously considering moving up there (Kansas currently) in the spring. My husband is a blue-collar guy, and I haven't worked outside of the home since our son's diagnoses at 9 months. Any info would be great...we are thinking southern MN, close enough to be able to visit the hospital but still as close as possible to the grandparents back in Kansas. What is rent like there, say for a 2-3 bedroom house? Jobs? Crime? Any info would be great. The medical care here in Kansas is seriously lacking, & we want to help our boy as much as we possibly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 01:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,739,861 times
It's cold, there are a lot of lakes, a lot of mosquitos, little crime outside of the metro area, good medical care and good schools.
Not sure about the other stuff like jobs or rent in southern MN.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:56 PM

989 posts, read 1,443,636 times
It sounds to me like Rochester could be a good option for you to consider. Approximately 1 1/2 hour drive to St. Paul for the hospital, I would guess relatively positive job prospect for husband. Crime would be fairly minimal. And you're staying in southern MN for easier drive back to KS.

Also, if you needed immediate medical care, you have all of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

You could check City-Data's info for rent info.

Downsides - as mentioned it will be significantly colder than KS, there will be more mosquitoes. Also expect higher taxes - MN routinely makes the lists for top states in taxes.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
It sounds to me like Rochester could be a good option for you to consider. Approximately 1 1/2 hour drive to St. Paul for the hospital, I would guess relatively positive job prospect for husband. Crime would be fairly minimal. And you're staying in southern MN for easier drive back to KS.

Also, if you needed immediate medical care, you have all of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

You could check City-Data's info for rent info.

Downsides - as mentioned it will be significantly colder than KS, there will be more mosquitoes. Also expect higher taxes - MN routinely makes the lists for top states in taxes.
Thanks!! I am an avid gardener, is it even possible to grow tomatoes up there??
I am not really afraid of the cold & snow, rather than my husband's driving in the snowy weather . I hate the hot summers here, I usually hibernate inside in the AC from June to September, only emerging at night to water my gardens. Me & my 2 sons are blond/fair & burn in seconds flat. Are there abundant museums, historical places, farmers markets, nature reserves, "wild" places to escape to nature? Our son gets just 20 min. of therapy a week at school, so we have always spent a LOT of time outdoors at the lakes & parks, for his "therapy" & to build up his strength. My older son (11) is also a Nature Nut, loves to explore the outdoors. I have been told the schools are great! Kansas schools have have had their funding cut to such historic proportions that the government had to intervene to restore them to at least the levels of a few decades ago. It's BAD. I just want a better place for my boys.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:44 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,343,331 times
Getting out and being in parks and nature, and finding the outdoors sounds perfect for something called Geocaching, which will let you do all that and tons more, for you and your family to build up strength.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 AM

I'm pretty sure I have friends and family that have successfully grown tomatoes (and other veggies, of course). I think you'll still get some good veggies - you'll just need to do a little research on growing seasons.

Because winter driving is a normal occurrance in MN, MNDOT has a lot of equipment to work on the roads. That's not to say your husband doesn't still have to be careful, but you'll probably find roads are cleared and treated much more quickly (though the snow, dirt, "salt" for the roads does tend to beat up the underside of your car and cause some rust. I now live in TX and my mechanic hates working on anything on the underside of my car because it's so difficult to get anything off the car - even though it's otherwise somewhat newer and in decent shape. I even remember when first getting to TX and the U-Haul guy helping get my car off the tow was a little freaked out by what he saw on the underside...)

State Parks tend to be a little better in the northern part of the state, but if you ended up in Rochester, you could check out Whitewater State Park, about 30 minutes from Rochester according to Google.

You also wouldn't be terribly far away from La Crosse and the Mississippi River Valley, probably 1 1/2 away. Could make a good day trip.

In many ways, MN is a good place. I left, however, as I hate MN winters with a passion and, not to make this a political post, but disagreed enough with the generally liberal bent of the state (though the liberalism tends to be more in the city with areas such as Rochester relatively moderate to conservative).

From what you're saying is important to you, it seems there's some advantage for you to check it out.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:21 PM

43 posts, read 49,887 times
KsStorm:
Is your family from the central area of the state of Kansas? Your mention of family members being blond and fair skinned makes me think of the numbers of Swedish immigrants that settled in the town of Lindsborg in McPherson county.
A lot of Swedish immigrants settled in MN as well, in towns like Scandia, Lindstrom, and Mora, to name a few.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM

The more I learn about MN the more excited I get at the prospect of moving there. Will have to make a trip up thete early next spring!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:04 PM

Be sure to note March is often the snowiest month of the winter and April can be very fickle regarding weather. Southern MN may be slightly warmer, but I'd still plan on cold and wet, with snow not unrealistic in April.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:56 PM

4,063 posts, read 4,232,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
I'm pretty sure I have friends and family that have successfully grown tomatoes (and other veggies, of course). I think you'll still get some good veggies - you'll just need to do a little research on growing seasons.
In the upper midwest climate late spring-summer are good growing periods. If you're growing a particular strain of tomato/etc. that requires a longer growth period you can do indoor starts and transplant.

But there will be no shortage of resources on how/what to grown. The UMN extension is a good place to start: Planting the vegetable: Yard and Garden : University of Minnesota Extension
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or