Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,833 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, I am moving to Minnesota (The Twin Cities) in 2015 to be with my fiance. Being a native Arizonan I am not sure what to expect except for cold. I HATE the extreme heat in Arizona and have been wanting to leave for years, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the polar opposite. I've done a fair amount of reading, and have visited but I want more opinions!

Generally, how is the job market? (I have a BA in the humanities field but plan on going back to school after I pay off my student loans)

Is it really so hard for an outsider to make friends? (There seems to be a recurring theme about Minnesota nice andclique-y-ness)

How is the culture? (I am a musician and very open minded)

I tried to keep it short, but let me know if you'd like to know anything else. Looking forward to your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM

520 posts, read 776,023 times
Overall, the economy and job market in the twin cities is among the best in the midwest if not the whole country. The wages are relatively high, especially given the reasonable cost of living. I'm not sure exactly what type of work you would be looking for, so its hard to be more specific.

I just moved from out of state and find the people here to be very normal. More so than other places I've lived, I would find it difficult to generalize the population. There are probably some very cliquey people here, but most seem like pretty reasonable human beings. Its a large enough metro area with plenty of newcomers, so making friends won't be a problem if you're out and about doing things where you will meet people with similar interests.

As far as culture, you have a full spectrum. The cities themselves are quite liberal and progressive, the outlying areas elected Michelle Bachmann. Again, there's something for everyone here.

There seems to be a decent local music scene, but I haven't had much of a chance to explore it.

What are you looking to do for work? Where does your fiance live? Will you be moving in there or looking for something else? Do you want to live in the city/country/suburbs?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,833 times
Thanks for the reply. My fiance lives in St. Paul, we are going to get a bigger apartment together when I get to town. We want to stay close to his job, so our preference is to live in St. Paul or Minneapolis but we wouldn't mind branching out to Maplewood, Roseville or a surrounding area if we found something nice. I'm an event coordinator for a University here in AZ and would like to keep doing this, so I've been eyeing the U of M job site. I have a lot of administrative skills as well so I've been keeping my eyes open for administrative assistant positions as well.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelotte View Post
Thanks for the reply. My fiance lives in St. Paul, we are going to get a bigger apartment together when I get to town. We want to stay close to his job, so our preference is to live in St. Paul or Minneapolis but we wouldn't mind branching out to Maplewood, Roseville or a surrounding area if we found something nice. I'm an event coordinator for a University here in AZ and would like to keep doing this, so I've been eyeing the U of M job site. I have a lot of administrative skills as well so I've been keeping my eyes open for administrative assistant positions as well.
There are lots of mid-size private colleges in the TC that would have similar positions. Just on the St. Paul side of the river you could easily look at St. Catherine's, Macalester, St. Thomas, Hamline, etc.

I haven't used it in years, but you probably want to look at the HERC website: Upper Midwest HERC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota