Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,147,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnorcm3 View Post
Ackermom,

We're sort of in your situation, moving from Europe to Minnesota. I read the answers to your question about where to live with interest. While I grew up in Minnesota (Winona, small town about 2 hours south of the Twin Cities), I have not lived in Minnesota for over 25 years. I have been living in Europe for most of that time (Iceland, Germany, The Netherlands, Portugal and I currently live in Ireland).

I will be interested to hear what your husband thinks after 'the grand tour of Minnesota', what areas you narrow in on. Minnesota is either #1 or #2 for best schools in the U.S. and the cost of living is going to be lower than many other places in the States. Our main concern in finding a place to retire to in Minnesota is good schools and services (for our disabled son) offered. We hope to be near a medium sized town (for services) but in a rural setting.

Please do post where you are narrowing in on. I'm curious about what you find.

Mari O'C
If you are looking for a more rural setting with good services check out Marshall in SW MN. It is a town of about 12,000 but they are very well set up for special needs kids/adults. There is a university in town that is 100% handicapped accessible and has fabulous programing. The town itself is very flat and you see a LOT of motorized wheelchairs buzzing around town as a main form of transportation. I don't know exactly what you are needing for your son but there are many work programs/group homes available as well.

There is a small hospital in town but you are within driving distance to Sioux Falls, SD and they have fantastic medical care there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 01:38 PM

114 posts, read 533,676 times
Thank you, Golfgal. You are always so helpful and have so much knowledge on Minnesota.
Marshall is too far west. My family lives in Winona, Red Wing, Minneapolis and Rochester so I'd prefer to be closer to those areas. My 16-year old son is severely disabled (functions like a 2-year old). We hope to keep him at home, as long as possible, so would like a city with a good special ed high-school program and a good special needs day adult-program where he could, eventually transition to live in a group home (near by). We would also like to be near 'young people' so that we can hire students to help with his in-home care. A town/city with a college would be ideal. My husband desires outdoor sports like rowing crew and cross country skiing. I would like an in-door swimming pool (YMCA), within 15-30 minutes, where I could take my son swimming each week.
From reading this forum carefully it seems that it would be wise to focus on:

- Northfield - Love that town but vaguely remember the river as being rocky and shallow? Is there a good bike trail for cross country skiing?

- Red Wing - I've seen special adults out and about in the community and love that.

- Stillwater - a bit north of where my family lives (I know, picky picky), but what is between Hastings and Stillwater? You've reported excellent schools and nice life there before so that appeals to me. Just far from Winona where my mom still lives.

- Winona - I grew up there so I know that it offers everything that we're looking for. I just worry that it's so far from the Twin Cities (a bit over two hours and in a snow storm, that's very far) since our daughters will (we hope) visit us from wherever they end up (at college now) so we don't want to get too far from an airport (and LaCrosse is a pain to fly in to since you have to wait in the Cities several hours for the flight).

My husband got very excited about the outdoor activities that Cannon Falls offers but I don't think that it has what our son will need. It's just too small plus lacks a college where we can hire young folks.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mari O'C

Old 01-26-2008, 03:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,147,762 times
Quote:
Thank you, Golfgal. You are always so helpful and have so much knowledge on Minnesota.
Marshall is too far west. My family lives in Winona, Red Wing, Minneapolis and Rochester so I'd prefer to be closer to those areas. My 16-year old son is severely disabled (functions like a 2-year old). We hope to keep him at home, as long as possible, so would like a city with a good special ed high-school program and a good special needs day adult-program where he could, eventually transition to live in a group home (near by). We would also like to be near 'young people' so that we can hire students to help with his in-home care. A town/city with a college would be ideal. My husband desires outdoor sports like rowing crew and cross country skiing. I would like an in-door swimming pool (YMCA), within 15-30 minutes, where I could take my son swimming each week.

- Northfield - Love that town but vaguely remember the river as being rocky and shallow? Is there a good bike trail for cross country skiing?

- Red Wing - I've seen special adults out and about in the community and love that.

- Stillwater - a bit north of where my family lives (I know, picky picky), but what is between Hastings and Stillwater? You've reported excellent schools and nice life there before so that appeals to me. Just far from Winona where my mom still lives.

- Winona - I grew up there so I know that it offers everything that we're looking for. I just worry that it's so far from the Twin Cities (a bit over two hours and in a snow storm, that's very far) since our daughters will (we hope) visit us from wherever they end up (at college now) so we don't want to get too far from an airport (and LaCrosse is a pain to fly in to since you have to wait in the Cities several hours for the flight).

My husband got very excited about the outdoor activities that Cannon Falls offers but I don't think that it has what our son will need. It's just too small plus lacks a college where we can hire young folks.

Mari O'C
Other then being closer to family, Marshall has everything you listed--Sioux Falls being the closest International Airport and is a dream to fly out of.

Northfield has several options for cross country skiing--the Arboretum at Carleton, the golf course and great trails for advanced skiers out in Nerstrand at the State Park as well as options in surrounding towns. The river in Northfield wouldn't work well for crew but depending on how often he goes, it isn't' all that far to Minneapolis or St. Paul to row there.

I can't think of a single town on your list that has everything you need. I guess it will end up coming down to prioritizing. I guess in your situation I would be more concerned with the day to day things and have to travel a bit farther to family.

I just remembered that Northfield also has the Laura Baker School for disabled students. The school has been around for a long time. I would guess that they have some relationships with the colleges for students in the Special Education programs and would be a great resource for finding students to help you out.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:28 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,994,032 times
Quote:

Mari O'C
I know it wasn't on your list, but Rochester seems to fit those needs very well. The airport is about 10 minutes from town, Mayo High has a wonderful special needs program. There are several special needs adult day programs and housing. We also have a college in town, not to mention Mayo Clinic so there are usually plenty of nursing students and such. There is a YMCA in town and I'm sure there are clubs and such for the outdoor activities your husband is interested in.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 8,505 times
I think that if you want a great city, you should consider Delano. They are one of the top 10 school districts in MN. Definitely a small community. Soon in November 08 the road system is going to be smooth with an easy commute to the cities. It is just 20 minutes to Plymouth or Maple Grove. Has the small town atmosphere. You gotta love it. Not to mention, the housing is very affordable no matter what type of house you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota