U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:38 AM

26 posts, read 45,566 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the Duluth, MN or Marquette, MI areas. I was wondering if anyone could give me more information on either city. I'm originally from the Twin Cities, but have lived in SE MN/SW WI the last few years. I've been to both cities a few times. I'm looking to get away from city life, be closer to the outdoors, and eventually settle down and raise a family. What are the pros and cons? Can anyone tell me what the people are like in each area and if they're receptive to new-comers (since I have no family/friends in either area.) Also how hard would it be for a registered nurse to find a job. What activities are there to do?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 04:30 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,810,185 times
I was waiting for the Duluthians to respond. But since they haven't yet . . . I used to live north of Duluth so went there often for professional services and shopping, and have travelled through Marquette a few times.

Both are port towns, with both natural beauty and in-town gritty areas. Duluth seems bigger (I'm too lazy to look up the stats) and it's closer to an escape to big doin's down in the Big Cities. It takes a while to get from Marquette to anywhere. Historically, Marquette's population was similar to that of Minnesota's Iron Range, which is still pretty unfriendly to outsiders. Duluth might be more diverse now? (Look it up on the regular CD site.) Duluth has UM Duluth while Marquette has Northern Michigan U - look them up to see which is bigger and which offers more stuff for community members to do. It felt to me as though UMD was a big part of the social/cultural life of Duluth. I don't know anything about jobs in either place, although I would think as a nurse you have a lot of options almost anywhere.

If it were me I'd pick Duluth partly because Minnesota as a state is more financially stable than Michigan, and that fact does have local consequences re taxes and services. On the other hand, Marquette (being more isolated) might be more of an adventure!

Old 12-26-2014, 06:52 PM

Thanks for your input! Do you mind if I ask where you used to live north of Duluth. If I did end up going the Duluth route, I'd most likely live somewhere outside of Duluth because Duluth is actually a larger city than I want to live in.

I know Duluth is about 2 hours away form the cities and I think the nearest city to Marquette is Green Bay which is about 3 hours away. Honestly, after growing up in the Twin Cities I'm kind of over how crowded they are, the fast-paced lifestyle, and materialism. However, I've never been to Green Bay before, but hope to make it there one of these days to catch a Packers game. (Yes I'm a Packers fan!)

Can anyone tell me what's Green Bay is like? Obviously it doesn't have as much to offer I'm assuming as the Twin Cities, but I'm curious about what is there if Green Bay does end up being the closest city that I live near in the future.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:25 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,810,185 times
You should probably ask about Green Bay on the Wisconsin forum - and ask there about Marquette, too. To me Green Bay seems very run down and gritty, but that's just my opinion and I just visited, didn't live there.

I lived a little over an hour north of Duluth in a teeny little Iron Range town. I really can't recommend that area. However, think about looking at the Grand Rapids, MN area - it is prettier, friendlier, more fun than the Range.

Or if Duluth is still in your sights you might look at the Cloquet/Moose Lake area.

Actually, I live west of LaCrosse now, and love it. I think that it is much prettier/friendlier/more to do than NE MN.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:11 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,819,303 times
I love both Duluth and Marquette. I lived in Marquette for two years and my husband's family is from the area. Duluth was my metropolitan area for four years.

I didn't find Marquette unfriendly toward outsiders. I really loved it and has a lot of amenities. However, NMU has a large nursing program, so it can be hard to find nursing jobs. I would think it would be easier to find a nursing job in Duluth with it's four hospitals.

I don't know, it's a toss-up to me. I like how isolated Marquette is--the people are hardy, friendly, unassuming. I love the UP in general because it is out of the way. However, Marquette is the major city for the UP, so it should cover most of your needs. I never traveled to Green Bay or elsewhere for shopping.

But I love Duluth, too. It's on our scope of possible future locations, but that is because it has a job location for my husband, and Marquette does not. It is also closer to my parents and slightly closer to his dad. But if we won the lottery? There are a lot of amazing places outside of Marquette....

Old 12-29-2014, 01:01 PM

I know! I'm leaning toward Marquette because of all those things you've mentioned. If I did make the move up there it wouldn't be for another year and a half or so. I'm looking to gain as much nursing experience where I am now, so that hopefully my application would look more competitive. I'm glad to know that basically everything you would need is in Marquette because it is so far away from other cities.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:00 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,747,741 times
Marquette is farther than Duluth from any large or medium-sized city, which is remarkable in itself. Minneapolis takes 6.5h to get to Marquette, 2-2.5h to get to from Duluth. Even Chicago only takes about 8h to drive to from Duluth, vs. 6h from Marquette.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:30 PM

37 posts, read 111,163 times
I've only ever driven through Duluth, but I've spent a fair amount of time in the Marquette area. It's a wonderful town. There are enough amenities in town that you aren't completely isolated. There is a good amount of new development from even just a few years ago, so it's a growing area. But given how isolated it is from larger cities and industry outside from shipping and mining, the growth potential has a limit. By that I mean, it's a growing area, but there is a relatively low ceiling on that growth. So you won't have to worry about it becoming a large city (since you're trying to get away from city life).

The outdoors is all around you. In the area itself, Marquette is on the shore of Lake Superior so plenty of water based outdoor activities. Once you get outside the town limits, especially heading South, you're in rural area pretty quickly. Hunting, fishing, skiing etc are all nearby. It's also in the north central Upper Peninsula, M28 and US 41 run through it, so relatively easy access to explore other parts of the UP.

My one caution is the snow is much more significant on a consistent basis than southern Minnesota. Marquette gets hit with lake effect snow pretty heavily off of Superior. If you don't like snow, you'll want to think twice about moving there.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,819,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terf View Post
I know! I'm leaning toward Marquette because of all those things you've mentioned. If I did make the move up there it wouldn't be for another year and a half or so. I'm looking to gain as much nursing experience where I am now, so that hopefully my application would look more competitive. I'm glad to know that basically everything you would need is in Marquette because it is so far away from other cities.
If you like Marquette, look at Ishpeming, too. I have a friend who graduated from NMU's nursing program who works there. Ishpeming isn't much of anything, but it's only 15 minutes or so from Marquette. You could live in Marquette and easily commute to Ishpeming, or live and work in Ishpeming and commute to Marquette for shopping and activities. I lived in Marquette and worked in Negaunee and it wasn't a bad commute. I didn't like the slushy days, but that's about it.

What about Houghton/Hancock? I don't know much about the area, but a lot of people love it. Also, on the Minnesota side, you could look at Virginia. Much smaller than the other two picks, but it's smack in the middle of the northwoods, with only an hour to Ely.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:03 PM

781 posts, read 2,298,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
What about Houghton/Hancock?
Geographically speaking, Houghton gets a huge thumbs up from me. The downtowns are both built on the hills of the river with a lift bridge connecting them; beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota