U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 10,501 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would love to relocate to the Rochester area and desire a town within a 100 mile proximity. Unfortunately, my wife is ill with a rare heart condition (Apical Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy). There is a doctor at the Mayo Clinic there that has done more research on her particular condition than anyone else in the world (Dr. Schaff). We also need to consider that myself not being a health care worker, might not be able to find work in Rochester. I was a Offset Printer most of my life, but work as a machine operator in a factory now. My wife is from England and I am from Oregon and California, however, we currently live in Indiana. If you could throw in some nature and wildlife that would make us both really happy...and before you say it...we know it's cold and we are nice too

So what's a good town with jobs. Or if you know a particular employer, or any information that might benefit us on our move. We would be really grateful for your help. Thank you!

Last edited by KentonFisher; 12-29-2014 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 03:42 AM

5,664 posts, read 2,514,041 times
I'm sure there are other jobs at the Mayo such as Custodial, Maintenance and Grounds, Security etc.
Try looking on their website under Employment to see the variety of jobs.

With the Mayo increasing in size so, will the need for other business' and schools which will create more jobs.

Best wishes for your wife and her health.
And your move.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:48 AM

5,664 posts, read 2,514,041 times
Also 100 miles radius from Rochester gives you a lot of options.

The Twin Cities is 90 miles away. Their are some nice suburbs around the twin Cities with Wildlife and nature.
You could work in Twin Cities and live out a bit for nature.
Or across the border in Hudson Wi area.

If you could be more specific on type of housing I can try to give you some more info.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,711,063 times
There are plenty of other employers in Roch besides Mayo. You shouldn't have trouble finding work. The population is just booming, even before the whole Destination Medical Center came into play. There are plenty of smaller towns around too if you don't want Roch. The SE part of the state is beautiful with the bluffs. I would recommend, if you are able, coming to the area for a few days to see what you think. You could also live in La Crosse, Wisconsin, which is about an hour's drive from Roch. It is a bigger town with a population of around 50,000 (also has bordering small towns). There is also Winona, Owatonna, Red Wing. These are towns of size (not big but big enough to have department stores). There are so many choices, including The Twin Cities.

I'm not terribly familiar with manufacturing in Roch as I personally don't know anyone really in that field. I just did a Google search on manufacturing jobs in Roch and I see jobs there. Not sure if it is what you would want or pay scale you are looking for, but it's a place to start searching at the very least to see what's around.

Last edited by fromupthere; 12-30-2014 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM

267 posts, read 439,696 times
My brother has worked as a press operator at Schmidt Printing for 20+ years which is just outside Rochester in Byron, MN. They do show some job openings on their website - Schmidt Printing Careers

They are a part of Taylor Corporation which has lots of printing concerns - that is based in Mankato, MN.

If you don't care about living so close to Rochester you could live in the SE Twin Cities metro. Should be quite a few jobs in this area. I believe Shutterfly is opening a large new plant in Shakopee, MN and will be looking for lots of printing press operators.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 10,501 times
Thanks Atalanta, up there and Bill.

To Atalanta, My wife and I loved Rochester, although the traffic was surprisingly hectic. You are right that the Mayo would have jobs too and I'm not opposed to trying something new. As far as housing goes. We need a house on an apartment budget. We have 2 pets.

To Fromupthere, It is much easier to relocate to a town that is doing well. I did notice Rochester has very low unemployment rate as well. It's very flat where we live and we enjoyed seeing actual hills on our trip to the Mayo Clinic. We did drive through La Crosse and it looks like a town we could easily live in and there were a lot of bald eagles along the Mississippi river.

To Bill Wallace, I did find Schmidt Printing in a google search, but didn't know about the affiliation with Taylor, or about Shutterfly's opening. Thanks for the great tips!

Last edited by KentonFisher; 12-30-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentonFisher View Post
Thanks Atalanta, up there and Bill.

To Atalanta, My wife and I loved Rochester, although the traffic was surprisingly hectic. You are right that the Mayo would have jobs too and I'm not opposed to trying something new. As far as housing goes. We need a house on an apartment budget. We have 2 pets.

To Fromupthere, It is much easier to relocate to a town that is doing well. I did notice Rochester has very low unemployment rate as well. It's very flat where we live and we enjoyed seeing actual hills on our trip to the Mayo Clinic. We did drive through La Crosse and it looks like a town we could easily live in and there were a lot of bald eagles along the Mississippi river.

To Bill Wallace, I did find Schmidt Printing in a google search, but didn't know about the affiliation with Taylor, or about Shutterfly's opening. Thanks for the great tips!
The National Eagle Center is in Wabasha which is only about 40-45 minutes from Roch as well.

I think you could find a house on an apartment budget in Roch as well as some of other small towns near here. Perhaps renting a house is an option too. You could contact this guy: Infinity Real Estate & Management Group. He could help you out with your budget and the pets. Very nice guy too. No, I am not a friend of his or anything like that. Just went through him on a rental and he was extremely helpful with us and our situation.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 PM

You might want this link too: Rochester911.com | Crime & Fire Incident Maps and Reports for Rochester, MN and Surrounding Communities You can use it too look at crimes in different neighborhoods and such. Some people will tell you to avoid SE Roch but that's a bunch of hooey. SE Roch had a reputation of the not so nice part of town years ago but that has changed a lot. There are areas in SE that have higher crime because there are a lot of apartments. That happens in all parts of town with lots of apartments. More people equals more crime.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:00 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,826,725 times
FromUpThere lives there, so has had some great advice for you.

Unemployment is very low in this area for people with good skills and work history, and the economy is expected to continue to boom in the next decade.

Go south and east from Roch to find beautiful hills and woods (I live SE of Roch, and it is very beautiful here!) If you live in between Winona and Roch you'll have 2 cities to choose from for employment. LaCrosse, WI is also commutable. Yes, even in winter. There are commuter busses to Roch from MANY of the small towns in the region. Here's the commuter bus website so you can see what communities are an easy commute to Roch: Commuter Bus Lines | Rochester City Lines | Rochester MN Bus Company

No need to go anywhere near the Twin Cities!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,840,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentonFisher View Post
My wife and I would love to relocate to the Rochester area and desire a town within a 100 mile proximity. Unfortunately, my wife is ill with a rare heart condition (Apical Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy). There is a doctor at the Mayo Clinic there that has done more research on her particular condition than anyone else in the world (Dr. Schaff). We also need to consider that myself not being a health care worker, might not be able to find work in Rochester. I was a Offset Printer most of my life, but work as a machine operator in a factory now. My wife is from England and I am from Oregon and California, however, we currently live in Indiana. If you could throw in some nature and wildlife that would make us both really happy...and before you say it...we know it's cold and we are nice too

So what's a good town with jobs. Or if you know a particular employer, or any information that might benefit us on our move. We would be really grateful for your help. Thank you!
What do you mean by 'town'? I mean, given your radius you could live in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul), one of the 15-largest metropolitan areas in the United States, or a mid-size metropolitan area - Rochester itself, or La Crosse, about an hour to the east and across the river in Wisconsin, or a smaller town.

Northfield is a pleasant college town about an hour northwest of Rochester. It allows convenient access to the Twin Cities (the southern suburbs are less than half an hour away, and the airport is about 45 minutes away - it will be a lot cheaper flying in and out of MSP than RST).

Remember that your radius extends not only in to Wisconsin but Iowa as well. Decorah is 75 miles south and east of Rochester, a small little college town in the Driftless Area (ie, scenic) part of Iowa.

As for nature, be aware that southern Minnesota is mostly flat, and mostly agricultural land (though the Driftless Area that I mentioned before - an area that the last round of glaciers missed, is full of hills and ravines, and relatively undisturbed - can be found between Rochester and the Mississippi River). The prairies and woods near Rochester and to the west and north have largely gone over to farm fields. That said, the state has a terrific state park system, and even though the crown jewels are mostly in the northern part of the state, there's a few gems in the south - Whitewater State Park is a beautiful place in a river valley, with lovely ridge-top hiking trails, 20 miles east of Rochester. And the one State Forest in the southern part of the state has many hiking trails in the hills east and northeast of Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota