Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 5,519 times

Advertisements

Hello guys! Im 21 years young and currently in the Army(AD), Ill be out next year. I am thinking of making a big step and moving to Minnesota. MN is one of the states I want to move to. Reason being, I feel I would be limiting myself if I go back to my home of record plus I am tired of the desert and been every where in AZ. If the Army is giving me the opportunity to start fresh Im going to take it. I am an all wheel vehicle mechanic, but as of right now working as a tax preparer from my installation. I am also taking classes after work hours Im hoping to graduate with my associate before I get out of here.

So with that being said Ill be continuing up to my bachelors in MN. I love doing anything out doors, love lakes especially cliff jumping. I am a quite/laid back guy but do warm up so yes I like to be social and meet new people. I do like night life but not to crazy about going to the bars and drinking. I lofe fairs/fevistals How are the people from there I hear of this "Minnestoa nice" but also isnt really nice if you have been raised there? How are the women???, what college should I attend and lastly the most important question with all this info I gave where in MN would be best for me? Thank you guys for your time!

PS if those that read my post whom are military or retired..Im thinking of joining the Reserves or National guard up there if I do move. What is the installation called? How is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
Most of the jobs, schools and people are in the Twin Cities.

There aren't any cliff jumping lakes like in AZ and UT. Cliff jumping into the St. Croix river is popular at Taylor Falls, which is about an hour north of the Twin Cities. It is illegal, but still popular.

There are guard installations all over the state but the main ones and HQs are also in the Twin Cities.

The biggest public school is U of MN. There are a number of smaller private schools in the cities like Augsburg, St. Thomas and Macalester. Outside of the cities there are a number of state universities like St Cloud State, Moorhead state, and Mankato State. It is hard to say which is better. Personally I think if you have in-state tuition in AZ, it would be better to just finish up at U of A or ASU. U of MN is ranked ahead of those schools, but practically I am not sure how much that matters. Especially if you were paying out of state tuition in MN.

As the old saying goes, the women are strong, and the men are good looking.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Most of the jobs, schools and people are in the Twin Cities.

There aren't any cliff jumping lakes like in AZ and UT. Cliff jumping into the St. Croix river is popular at Taylor Falls, which is about an hour north of the Twin Cities. It is illegal, but still popular.

There are guard installations all over the state but the main ones and HQs are also in the Twin Cities.

The biggest public school is U of MN. There are a number of smaller private schools in the cities like Augsburg, St. Thomas and Macalester. Outside of the cities there are a number of state universities like St Cloud State, Moorhead state, and Mankato State. It is hard to say which is better. Personally I think if you have in-state tuition in AZ, it would be better to just finish up at U of A or ASU. U of MN is ranked ahead of those schools, but practically I am not sure how much that matters. Especially if you were paying out of state tuition in MN.

As the old saying goes, the women are strong, and the men are good looking.
Thanks for the reply back! Yes that is true it would make sense to finish up at ASU because of in state tuition, honestly UofA aint that great. Ive been to both campus many times and honestly even the rep that asu gets I dont feel I would like ASU even though it does have a beatiful campus Im just looking for change. I will be taking a trip to both MN and Wisconsin this summer and hopfullly by then I will have an idea what college and visit their campus. BUT nothing comes out of my pocket the post 9/11 will either pay it all or most of it.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM

If its paid for, Wisconsin is ranked ahead of U of MN. There is more to do in the Twin Cities but Madison is a good college town. Wisconsin grads tend to end up in Chicago more than the Twin Cities, though.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:08 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
You really should figure out what you want your academic specialty to be, which would help you make a decision about which school to choose. There are a lot of schools in Minnesota to choose from.

The simple solution to the in-state tuition issue is just to live in MN for one year and work, completely supporting yourself without (or with very little) help from family. That will give you residency, and you can pay in-state tuition when you return to school the next year. Minnesota State Colleges and Universities - 2.2 State Residency

You can also get tuition assistance by joining the National Guard. Minnesota National Guard Benefits - UMD | University of Minnesota Duluth

I would recommend taking a good look at UMD in Duluth - the University of Minnesota in Duluth. Duluth is MUCH more fun and affordable than the Twin Cities area, and there's MUCH more hiking, climbing and every related outdoor activity in the area. In fact, Duluth is thought to have some of the best rock climbing in the country: climb-duluth. And UMD has indoor climbing walls as part of its rec program: RSOP - Climbing

As for the rest of it, the kids who go to UMD seem to have no problem having a good time!

So if I were you, I'd move out to Duluth and find a share house with some other young guys (there are a bunch you can find on Craigslist), find a job that can support you living cheaply, join the National Guard, start rock climbing and meet some good friends, apply to UMD and start school the year after you come out!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
If its paid for, Wisconsin is ranked ahead of U of MN. There is more to do in the Twin Cities but Madison is a good college town. Wisconsin grads tend to end up in Chicago more than the Twin Cities, though.
I second looking at Wisconsin. Madison is a great city and I recommend seriously considering it as an option as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 AM

If it is being paid for I would go to the best college or university you can get into and not limit yourself to MN and WI. MN will always be there after you graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota