U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 AM

188 posts, read 470,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarfred View Post
I moved to Chicago in September to be with my boyfriend. I am now suffering from being homesick. I cry and really miss my family and friends. I just went to Minneapolis to visit and all I did was miss it and cry. I really want to make it work in Chicago but at the same time I want to move back home and get my old routine back, being with friends and being with family. I feel like I took that for granted when I moved, I didn't realize how much I would miss my family. I am Latino and I have always been near my family. My parents tell me to move back but my boyfriend won't move back up since he lived there for 2 years already and did not like it. He is not close to his family (divorced) and he is very independent. I'm afraid of moving back home and not finding anyone to love. My love life was rough before I met him. I wonder if it's worth to suffer from this homesickness or just move back home and get my old life back. I get scared sometimes. Any suggestions?
You have to "bloom where you are planted". I live over a 1000 miles from home and the only way to get there is to drive. I was back there for a relatives funeral a couple of years ago for the first time in about 15 years. I can assure you that you never get over missing home. I was amazed at how many people still knew who I was and shocked at the ones that I didn't know because they had grown up. When you don't have a sterling reputation you are known by everybody young and old. Same as in school everybody knows the bad kids names and the good kids are anonymous unless they stand out in sports or something else. By the way I worked in schools for years.

It is now over half a century since I left home and I was really glad to get out of there but it is still home and I miss it. It is kind of like a near and dear friend who has passed away except you can visit again.
In other words forget about the "poor me" stuff. Start attending a church, join a club of some sort or something where you meet other people. Bars are not the greatest place I figured out after quite a few years.

Don't attend a church that doesn't have a coffee hour afterwards. All you do at the others is go there for an hour for a bawling out and then go home and never get to know anybody really. Don't be afraid to volunteer something. Anything as long as you get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 AM

188 posts, read 470,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarfred View Post
I moved to Chicago in September to be with my boyfriend. I am now suffering from being homesick. I cry and really miss my family and friends. I just went to Minneapolis to visit and all I did was miss it and cry. I really want to make it work in Chicago but at the same time I want to move back home and get my old routine back, being with friends and being with family. I feel like I took that for granted when I moved, I didn't realize how much I would miss my family. I am Latino and I have always been near my family. My parents tell me to move back but my boyfriend won't move back up since he lived there for 2 years already and did not like it. He is not close to his family (divorced) and he is very independent. I'm afraid of moving back home and not finding anyone to love. My love life was rough before I met him. I wonder if it's worth to suffer from this homesickness or just move back home and get my old life back. I get scared sometimes. Any suggestions?
You have to "bloom where you are planted". I live over a 1000 miles from home and the only way to get there is to drive. I was back there for a relatives funeral a couple of years ago for the first time in about 15 years. I can assure you that you never get over missing home. I was amazed at how many people still knew who I was and shocked at the ones that I didn't know because they had grown up and then the were the other ones that got old and changed drastically. When you don't have a sterling reputation you are known by everybody young and old. Same as in school everybody knows the bad kids names and the good kids are anonymous unless they stand out in sports or something else. By the way I worked in schools for years.

It is now over half a century since I left home and I was really glad to get out of there but it is still home and I miss it. It is kind of like a near and dear friend who has passed away except you can visit again.
In other words forget about the "poor me" stuff. Start attending a church, join a club of some sort or something where you meet other people. Bars are not the greatest place I figured out after quite a few years.

Don't attend a church that doesn't have a coffee hour afterwards. All you do at the others is go there for an hour for a bawling out and then go home and never get to know anybody really. Don't be afraid to volunteer something. Anything as long as you get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota