U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM

4,542 posts, read 5,085,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeklady View Post
summers are cooler here than southern michigan by detroit. Definitely warmer there in the summer and probably warmer in the winter too. Northern Michigan and the UP are like Minnesota weather wise.. Hope you found what you were looking for!
It's much warmer here in the summer than in the UP. No moderating Great Lake nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 09:41 PM

511 posts, read 772,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseylouhoo View Post
Hello,

My husband and I have been doing some research on where to reside to next, and I am just stumped on which one to choose. I have it narrowed down to MN or NC.. We don't know much about either of the states other than facts that I have looked up online. My husband is transitioning out of the Army, so we will be moving from Germany.. A little background about us, we are both originally from Michigan born and raised. So knowing that it gets cold isn't going to scare us away, I posted on a forum and they told me that MN was way too cold and NC is very mild in the winter. I just think its the southerners talking Weather will not factor into our move, I do have my degree in business, we are currently looking for country. Not redneck country just simple country. We are just looking for country space it would be nice to be about 45 to an hour from a city or a larger town. Most of my research has been done in Rochester due to applying to the Mayo Clinic, but again we are open for suggestions. We do not have kids just a very large dog so a big back yard or a nice woods behind us would be fulfilling, and of course when we do have kids a large yard for them to play in. Some questions I have are;

What are the taxes like?
Jobs easy to come by?
How are the summers? Warm, Hot, Mild
Can you live comfortably, job, money, family life.
Would be nice to live close to a lake or 2-3hours from, for boating, fishing.

Look forward to hearing answers!

Thank You!
I'm from Texas. Cold is cold. Get an inside hobby, the summers are worth the brutal winters, and the people are the nicest anywhere. Considerably nicer than the south.

They are too polite to talk politics or religion.

As far as I am concerned Northern Minnisota is probably the best place to be. Although I have it from folks in Minneapolis that getting a job in in Duluth can be difficult as they are clannish there. However, my time there as a tourist has been absolutely wonderful. The North Shore of Lake Superior is beautiful but tough economically as all beautiful places tend to be.

I have been told taxes are higher in Minnesota, but I also notice that the roads are well kept as are the state parks, it is kind of like,"you get what you pay for"

In Northwestern Minnesota you have Cirrus building a new plane in Grand Forks North Dakota, (On the borders and Polaris is somewhere up there, and Digikey is is there also. I am not sure you can get three hours from a lake in Minnesota.

Good luck, read the forums, look for emotion, I think you will find less unhappy people in Minnesota that in many places. But, don't expect a lot of replies in the summer time, they are outside living, and living well.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 578 times
I love it - if you have questions just email me at [email]AndrewEbay23@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 08-28-2015, 06:07 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
130 posts, read 133,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseylouhoo View Post
Could anyone tell me what area is a good place to look for a home out of Rochester? I have found these online. Anyone know about these
Austin
Red Wing
Owatonna
Winona
Faribault
Lakeville
Farmington
Hastings
Albert Lea
Northfield
Inver Grove Heights
Apple Valley
Cottage Grove
Rosemount
River Falls
I've been to nearly all of those. In order, the ones I would want to live in are:
1. Northfield
2. Red Wing
3. Winona
4. Apple Valley (but you are getting pretty metro at that point)

Old 08-28-2015, 06:10 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
130 posts, read 133,269 times
I think Minnesota is great. I also think North Carolina is great. It all depends on where you live. I've spent lots of time in both states, and there are some cities in both states I would never want to live in.

Are you looking for big metro? If so, the Twin Cities are quite a job factory. My neighbors are a ex-military have been treated very well and been able to get good jobs. Yes, we have cold winters, but it sounds like you are OK with that. If you can handle the winters, you would love it.

I've spent time in NC as well, and would never blame someone for living in Raleigh-Durham or Asheville. But, then again, I had a chance to live in those places and chose MN. No regrets.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 PM

209 posts, read 189,913 times
I have a friend that moved from SW MN to N.C. 2 years ago, somewhere near Asheville, and he much prefers the climate, especially the absence of the wind common here. He also doesn't miss the snow. However, he does come back every fall for the bird hunting which doesn't amount to much in the are where he lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or