U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 AM

7 posts, read 14,465 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I have been doing some research on where to reside to next, and I am just stumped on which one to choose. I have it narrowed down to MN or NC.. We don't know much about either of the states other than facts that I have looked up online. My husband is transitioning out of the Army, so we will be moving from Germany.. A little background about us, we are both originally from Michigan born and raised. So knowing that it gets cold isn't going to scare us away, I posted on a forum and they told me that MN was way too cold and NC is very mild in the winter. I just think its the southerners talking Weather will not factor into our move, I do have my degree in business, we are currently looking for country. Not redneck country just simple country. We are just looking for country space it would be nice to be about 45 to an hour from a city or a larger town. Most of my research has been done in Rochester due to applying to the Mayo Clinic, but again we are open for suggestions. We do not have kids just a very large dog so a big back yard or a nice woods behind us would be fulfilling, and of course when we do have kids a large yard for them to play in. Some questions I have are;

What are the taxes like?
Jobs easy to come by?
How are the summers? Warm, Hot, Mild
Can you live comfortably, job, money, family life.
Would be nice to live close to a lake or 2-3hours from, for boating, fishing.

Look forward to hearing answers!

Thank You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 04:04 AM

5,799 posts, read 4,831,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseylouhoo View Post
The area around Rochester is very pretty and woodsy to the East and South. You can go a little North, too and find nice country - just don't go too far north to the Minneapolis/St. Paul urban area.

What are the taxes like? Property taxes in the country areas around Rochester are very affordable, as long as you don't look north. Much better than WI or IL, somewhat better than IA. Income taxes are higher than in southern states, lower than or similar to most eastern states.

Jobs easy to come by? Depends what you do for a living. Rochester's economy is fairly strong and stable with a good long term outlook.

How are the summers? Warm, Hot, Mild Mild, with a few weeks of hot. This last summer in SE MN was very gnatty, while further north mosquitos can be very bad.

Can you live comfortably, job, money, family life. This is a little too subjective; you'll have to ask more specific questions and each of us will answer differently. I think SE MN is very nice, urban MN and NE MN are less nice IMHO. I don't know western MN very well.

Would be nice to live close to a lake or 2-3hours from, for boating, fishing. In the area south and east of Rochester people mostly boat and fish on rivers. It is a GREAT area for trout fishing. Most of the lakes are to the North and West of Rochester, but I'd guess that EVERYWHERE in Minnesota is within 3 hours of a lake.
Hope that helped a little! Minnesota is a great place to live.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:36 AM

Minnesota, sounds like a great place to live.. Reason why I stick to the north is because I love Michigan, I would live there in a heart beat in the economy is better! But it's not so this is why I am looking for other states, plus I like to live outside of the bubble. haha. Thank You so much for your response, the answers are detailed and it makes things easier for the next step. Is Rochester a nice area? I would want to live on the outskirts more country and private. Would you suggest any other areas? My parents have a cabin 3 hours north from our home so driving to a lake in MN that is 3 hours wouldn't be bad either. Nothing like northern living! Again Thank You!!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:18 PM

Could anyone tell me what area is a good place to look for a home out of Rochester? I have found these online. Anyone know about these
Austin
Red Wing
Owatonna
Winona
Faribault
Lakeville
Farmington
Hastings
Albert Lea
Northfield
Inver Grove Heights
Apple Valley
Cottage Grove
Rosemount
River Falls

Old 02-24-2015, 01:32 PM

437 posts, read 393,980 times
I've lived in Austin and wouldn't recommend it. Same goes for Albert Lea — if you want nice wooded areas, those towns are flat and barren. Northfield and Farmington are nice towns. Apple Valley, Lakeville and Cottage Grove are nice, but then you're getting close to the Twin Cities, so things will be a little busier. The line of work you're looking for will play into where it makes the most sense for you to live, as well. In Austin, for example, it's all about meat processing. Rochester is all medical (highest number of doctors per capita in the country). The Twin Cities have a great diversity of potential employers and opportunities. If you really want a "country" feel, you could look up toward Duluth, as well. They lack the major employers of Rochester and the Twin Cities, but you can't beat Lake Superior for beauty.

Like halfdozen said, the areas east and south of Rochester are beautiful — in fact I've done a bit of fly fishing down there. Lots of rolling hills, small patches of woods, and nice people in the little towns around there.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:44 PM

That is around Duluth?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:21 PM

437 posts, read 393,980 times
Duluth sits on Lake Superior, yes.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:00 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,845,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseylouhoo View Post
Could anyone tell me what area is a good place to look for a home out of Rochester? I have found these online. Anyone know about these
Austin
Red Wing
Owatonna
Winona
Faribault
Lakeville
Farmington
Hastings
Albert Lea
Northfield
Inver Grove Heights
Apple Valley
Cottage Grove
Rosemount
River Falls
Lakeville, Farmington, Inver Grove Heights, Apple Valley, Cottage Grove and Rosemount are part of the Twin Cities metropolitan area. They are outer-ring suburbs - some entirely suburban, and some small rural towns that were eventually subsumed into the growing metropolitan area.

Winona is a Mississippi River college town (Winona State) town, 30 miles from the the La Crosse (Wisconsin) metropolitan area (pop. over 100k).

Red Wing and Hasting are Mississippi River towns just beyond the metro sprawl. I can't speak to Hastings, but Red Wing is a pleasant and scenic town.

Faribault is nothing special. Nothing really wrong with it for an outstate town, though.

Austin, Owatonna and Albert Lea are freeway corridor towns - I can't say much about them, either.

River Falls is a college town - UW-River Falls.

I live in Northfield. It's a river town and a college town, with two liberal arts colleges - Carleton (highly competitive, nationally known) and St. Olaf (competive, but not to the degree of Carleton). Great schools, a very pleasant downtown, vibrant artistic/cultural scene.

FYI:
The Mayo Clinic Radiation Therapy Center is located in Northfield.

You'll find the climate fairly similar to Michigan, though probably a bit colder (unless you were a Yooper!). Summers about the same too, but maybe just a tad cooler. As for lakes, you'll be very close to one except in the extreme SW or SE of the state (SE has lots of trout streams, though). Northfield lies right on the edge of the Driftless Area - to the east are hills and ravines and no lakes, because the last round of glaciers bypassed that area, while to the west it's flat and filled with glacial lakes - dozens within a half hour drive.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 PM

781 posts, read 2,300,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
If you really want a "country" feel, you could look up toward Duluth, as well. They lack the major employers of Rochester and the Twin Cities, but you can't beat Lake Superior for beauty.
Duluth does have a few major employers, namely in the medical and aerospace areas, although we do have a bit of an outlier with Maurices being headquartered here. Generally, I hear many people talk about how much they would like to live in Duluth due to its natural surroundings and unique geography, but that they just can't find a job here, or at least a good paying job. Perhaps Essentia Health or St.Lukes could be a replacement for your application at Mayo?

I posted about the rural areas of Duluth in response to another similar question here.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 PM

137 posts, read 161,118 times
I live in Rochester and love to vacation in North Carolina.

You're on the right track with the Rochester idea. It will be the easiest area to find both the country home and the city job. It's not the only area, though. In fact, almost the whole state would fit your criteria. Near the Twin Cities, you would pay a premium for the "country" feel. In more remote areas, you would have to work a bit harder at finding the job.

Around Rochester, I think you would prefer the areas to the south and east. The terrain to the west is much more flat and open. The area to the southeast feels a bit more like the "simple country" you describe, too. You might like a town like Chatfield and the surrounding countryside. On Thursday evenings in the summer, the local brass band plays a concert in the park downtown. The whole experience feels like traveling back in time. Other towns in the area have similar events.

While the landscape is beautiful as others have noted, it may not be quite what you expect. It is not forests and lakes. Rochester is as far removed from a natural lake as you can get in the Land of 10,000. The interesting scenery is the rivers and valleys. When I moved to Rochester, I was amazed at how not flat it is. The most accessible cabin country from Rochester is actually in Wisconsin. I hear of plenty of people going to Wisconsin for hunting and fishing and spot no shortage of Mayo parking tags headed that way on summer weekends.

Plenty of other areas in the state are worth checking. The Mankato/St. Peter area is a lot of fun with three colleges. It's also near to most of southern Minnesota's lakes stretching from Mankato to Faribault. It's really flat to the west, though. If you're looking for a more rustic and woodsy country, then it's worth looking a little harder for jobs around Duluth. Most of the other towns you asked about should be pretty good, too. Personally, I would not bother looking at St. Cloud. It's not that it's bad. It's just that any argument for it applies more strongly to Duluth, Mankato, Rochester, or other big towns and small cities.

Climate should be familiar to anybody from Michigan. I think Minnesota winters are slightly dryer, colder, and sunnier. Summer is probably about the same.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or