U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:08 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,066,969 times

Advertisements

you can have it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:39 PM

10 posts, read 8,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I'll take 2F and no traffic vs. 60F and being stuck on the 101 heading to Santa Monica, or stuck on the 5, or stuck on the 10, or...
Pretty much this. Im still living in Orange county CA and am moving to st paul in the next couple of months and my only fear is the winter. After I think about spending an hour in traffic both ways to work and spending nearly 1500 on rent every month for a 1 bed apartment, the cold doesnt scare me as much as the time and money I'm losing by the month. Ill be keeping an eye on this thread for more info but thats just my 2 cents.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 AM

10,092 posts, read 6,630,747 times
We are moving to Rochester from the south. Winter scares me too...but it's a fair trade off for oppressive heat in the summer and two hours of traffic a day. Or I hope it's a fair trade.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM

438 posts, read 400,949 times
There is no such thing as "good" weather or "bad" weather, just weather that is acceptable or unacceptable to you. I have friends who live in northern Minnesota and complain when it gets above 80 — they probably complain more about the heat for all of two weeks than the rest of us complain about the cold for six months. It's all personal preference.

Weather is just one factor in making a decision where to live. I personally hate the cold, but then my wife and I have decided that the other reasons we moved back to Minnesota outweighed the cold. That might not be true for everyone. We once had a serious discussion about moving to Hawaii and living on the beach, but what outweighed the benefits of living in Hawaii on the beach was the fact that every time our family came to visit, or we flew back to visit, it would cost thousands of dollars.

I wouldn't let weather dictate where I live, but then that's just me. Others might base their decision solely on weather, and that's neither right nor wrong. If we all based where we live solely on weather, Southern California would be even more crowded than it already is, and North Dakota would be completely empty (even more so than it already is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota