U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,465 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a home within 45 minutes or so of Minneapolis and have seen a few nice ones in Zimmerman. However, depending on which websites i look at, crime data in particular varies quite a bit. Can anyone give me information on the area, crime wise, people wise and just the general feeling of that city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 04:18 AM

437 posts, read 392,804 times
Well, you'd need to fight the traffic through the Elk River 10-169 corridor any time you want to go down to the Cities, but I'm assuming if you're living that far out, you're not looking at commuting. By a quick search, the crime rate in Zimmerman is lower than the national average, but then Minnesota as a whole is.

If the goal is to be a certain distance from Minneapolis and within a certain price range, I would also suggest the cities of Buffalo and Watertown. I have good friends in Buffalo who love it there, and a friend owns a restaurant in Watertown and speaks highly of the town.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 AM

137 posts, read 160,765 times
These days, Zimmerman is mostly a bedroom community. Most of the growth in the past few decades has been people like you who are willing to extend a commute for cheaper housing. For the most part, people in Zimmerman conduct much of their day-to-day business in either Princeton or Elk River. There is a bit more in Zimmerman now than there had been. In particular, they have had their own high school for a little over ten years now.

Crime will be minimal, but you can't completely ignore it. You probably won't get mugged or gunned down in a drive-by. You probably should lock your doors. Don't do dumb things like leaving valuables in plain sight in an unlocked car in the driveway. In the city, those basic precautions are all you would need. In the country, you might want a home security system, too. For the most part, burglary is the main issue to consider. Basic precautions will all but prevent it, but there are enough troublemakers looking for easy targets that you cannot completely ignore it. Unless you're looking for a squeaky clean Mayberry where you can leave the front door open when you go on vacation, crime should be a non-issue in the Zimmerman area.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
Well, you'd need to fight the traffic through the Elk River 10-169 corridor any time you want to go down to the Cities, but I'm assuming if you're living that far out, you're not looking at commuting. By a quick search, the crime rate in Zimmerman is lower than the national average, but then Minnesota as a whole is.

If the goal is to be a certain distance from Minneapolis and within a certain price range, I would also suggest the cities of Buffalo and Watertown. I have good friends in Buffalo who love it there, and a friend owns a restaurant in Watertown and speaks highly of the town.
Do you happen to know what in particular your friends like about Buffalo? I do see some nice homes in our price range there.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_shackleford View Post
These days, Zimmerman is mostly a bedroom community. Most of the growth in the past few decades has been people like you who are willing to extend a commute for cheaper housing. For the most part, people in Zimmerman conduct much of their day-to-day business in either Princeton or Elk River. There is a bit more in Zimmerman now than there had been. In particular, they have had their own high school for a little over ten years now.

Crime will be minimal, but you can't completely ignore it. You probably won't get mugged or gunned down in a drive-by. You probably should lock your doors. Don't do dumb things like leaving valuables in plain sight in an unlocked car in the driveway. In the city, those basic precautions are all you would need. In the country, you might want a home security system, too. For the most part, burglary is the main issue to consider. Basic precautions will all but prevent it, but there are enough troublemakers looking for easy targets that you cannot completely ignore it. Unless you're looking for a squeaky clean Mayberry where you can leave the front door open when you go on vacation, crime should be a non-issue in the Zimmerman area.
Thank you, this information is very helpful.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:18 PM

437 posts, read 392,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad44 View Post
Do you happen to know what in particular your friends like about Buffalo? I do see some nice homes in our price range there.
They like the cute little downtown and finding locally grown food. They actually wrote a guest post on my blog about it, but I can't post the link here because the moderators will block it for advertising. You can find the link in my profile though.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:58 AM

948 posts, read 1,145,677 times
Zimmerman is a gateway to North Country, with all the good and bad that implies. Traditionally, it's not a very refined place--don't know if that's changed. It has more in common with Arkansas or West Virginia than it does with the TC, IMO. Some pretty country though.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,033,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad44 View Post
We are looking to buy a home within 45 minutes or so of Minneapolis and have seen a few nice ones in Zimmerman. However, depending on which websites i look at, crime data in particular varies quite a bit. Can anyone give me information on the area, crime wise, people wise and just the general feeling of that city?
LOL, crime in Zimmerman? It's an exurban community...there's no crime there to speak of at all except for the occasional meth lab bust or DWI.

There really isn't anything to the town, really. There are a couple of bars and a few businesses on the main drag, but that's about it. It's an extremely sleepy place, even with all of the new suburban developments.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:51 PM

28 posts, read 24,596 times
My sister lived in Zimmerman. It's just small town america. Little crime. A lot of great priced housing. 169 is a busy road though and can be on the weekends everyone is going to their cabin on friday and coming home on sunday. I remember my sister telling me of someone she knew that left her garage door open one night by accident and had someone enter the house. But that was rare. Very low crime usually. Some beautiful homes too there.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 PM

410 posts, read 574,843 times
Zimmerman is one of those places that grew due to the "drive til you qualify" phenomenon of the late 90's and early 2000's. As such, it was hit hard by foreclosures like many far flung exurbs. I have two friends who live in the area and absolutely hate it. Problem is, they're so far underwater on their houses they're basically stuck. That will make it likely to get a larger house at a low price, but a lot of those mass market builder houses, especially in the exurbs, were not well taken care of.

If you're planning on working in the Twin Cities, you will get VERY sick of the drive, especially in the winter.

If you'll be working in Elk River, Anoka, Princeton or another northern suburb, it won't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota