U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:41 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times

Advertisements

I think my great great grandma was Finnish but they moved to Norway before coming to Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 11:51 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,814,549 times
There are thousands of people of Finnish descent on the Iron Range of MN. They also can be found in the mining areas of northern Wisconsin and Michigan. Mining was a very common first American occupation for Finnish immigrants in the early 20th century.

I always used to call them the "LaLas" and the "Nenenenenens" (Seems as though many Finnish surnames end in la or enen.)

And alcohol is still a major part of their lives! Bars outnumber churches and most other kinds of businesses in Iron Range towns.

The Iron Range Research Center in Chisholm, MN has the best American collection of genealogical and historical materials about Americans of Finnish descent, better than even than that held by the MN Historical Society. It might be worth contacting them to pursue your interest in Finns in America: Iron Range Research Center - Minnesota Discovery Center: The Museum of the Iron Range

You might be interested in reading some of these books about Finns working in the iron and taconite mines of Minnesota, Finnish American politics (O those Communists!) on the Iron Range, and Finnish loggers and farmers:

Minnesota's Iron Country

Impressions of Embarrass

The Finnish Experience in the Western Great Lakes Region

Those are just some I have in my personal collection; take a look at the IRRC's catalog to see other titles which might interest you and which you should be able to get in Finland.

Another area in America in which I have lived where a high population of Finns can be found is the Olympic penninsula of Washington. Finnish immigrants first found work there as loggers, then stayed either as farmers or remained in the timber industry. Lots of alcohol consumption done there, too!

Finnish history is really interesting. But no, I'm not one of you!

And that photo looks like a scan of an original to me, too.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:41 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,428,723 times
used the google picture search feature to come up with this site of origin...

Yhdysvallat on suomalaistenkin maahanmuuttajien kansakunta - Siirtolaiset - Ulkomaat - Helsingin Sanomat

"Pojat pontevat Pohjanmaan. Takana Savelan Hemppa Haapajärveltä ja Vihtori Isomäki (lippalakki), jotka olivat rautatietyömaalla. Tältä näyttävät pojat jonkin aikaa USA:ssa oltuaan."

trans: "The vigorous boys of Ostrobothnia. On the back Hemppa Savela and Vihtori Isomäki (wearing a cap), who were on a railroad construction site. This is what the boys look like after being in the USA for a while."

Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 PM

24,268 posts, read 17,518,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I always used to call them the "LaLas" and the "Nenenenenens" (Seems as though many Finnish surnames end in la or enen.)
That is true. Eastern Finnish surnames end with -nen, while Western Finnish surnames end with -la/lä. Järvinen and Mäkinen in the East, Järvelä and Mäkelä in the West. Of course the surnames have been around for such a long time, so you can't trace anybody's origin with it.

My surname has a -nen ending, and I'm from Southwestern Finland.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:54 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,124,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The two cities outside Europe with the biggest population of Finnish descent are actually Toronto and Thunder Bay, Ontario. I think Eugene, Oregon is 3rd.

Some of my ancestors went too to America in the late 19th century, but unfortunately we have lost all contact with them. I think they went to Illinois though, and not Minnesota.

Oh, and Pamela Anderson is of Finnish descent.
According to Wikipedia Thunder Bay has only 14k people with Finnish origin and the whole Canada 136k. Also in 1930 USA had almost 10 times more Finnish than Canada

People in Malaga are mostly seniors who enjoy cheap prices and good weather, they are hardly immigrants.

PS. Lake Worth has most Finns outside Scandinavia/Finland

Old 03-08-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think my great great grandma was Finnish but they moved to Norway before coming to Minnesota.
It's possible. Some scientists believe that many of "Swedish" immigrants in America were actually Finnish.

edit: also many Finnish miners went to Norway first and from there to America.

Last edited by Majurius; 03-08-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There are thousands of people of Finnish descent on the Iron Range of MN. They also can be found in the mining areas of northern Wisconsin and Michigan. Mining was a very common first American occupation for Finnish immigrants in the early 20th century.

And alcohol is still a major part of their lives! Bars outnumber churches and most other kinds of businesses in Iron Range towns.

The Iron Range Research Center in Chisholm, MN has the best American collection of genealogical and historical materials about Americans of Finnish descent, better than even than that held by the MN Historical Society. It might be worth contacting them to pursue your interest in Finns in America: Iron Range Research Center - Minnesota Discovery Center: The Museum of the Iron Range

You might be interested in reading some of these books about Finns working in the iron and taconite mines of Minnesota, Finnish American politics (O those Communists!) on the Iron Range, and Finnish loggers and farmers:

Minnesota's Iron Country

Impressions of Embarrass

The Finnish Experience in the Western Great Lakes Region

Those are just some I have in my personal collection; take a look at the IRRC's catalog to see other titles which might interest you and which you should be able to get in Finland.

Another area in America in which I have lived where a high population of Finns can be found is the Olympic penninsula of Washington. Finnish immigrants first found work there as loggers, then stayed either as farmers or remained in the timber industry. Lots of alcohol consumption done there, too!

Finnish history is really interesting. But no, I'm not one of you!

And that photo looks like a scan of an original to me, too.
Thank you for this very interesting post!

Sadly some political oriented Finns tried to bring communism to America, of course they all failed They were not all like that though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Morton_(politician) Emil Hurja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are correct that many went to North West but if I recall right they mostly settled to Michigan-Minnesota area first, Minneapolis being a hub. Wikipedia calls Hancock, Michigan as "Finnish Capital", but according to census Minnesota has much more people with Finnish anchestry

What do you mean by "a scan"? Of course it's scanned? :S

Old 03-08-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
new a Finn who's family hailed from Makinen, lots of Finns up there

Makinen, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mäkinen is one of the most common Finnish surnames

Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
It's possible. Some scientists believe that many of "Swedish" immigrants in America were actually Finnish.

edit: also many Finnish miners went to Norway first and from there to America.
They went to Hammerfest Norway. which is at the very top of Norway, idk if there is mines up there but looking at google maps it is very small and isolated

Old 03-08-2015, 05:06 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,753,005 times
I'm still skeptical of that photo; I've looked at many a historic photo from that era and haven't seen anything like it. Not to detract from the larger question of the thread, but I'd like to know who made that photo and why. Let's say it IS original. Who made it, and why? A joke for the papers back home? I'd take it as a comedic photo, not as a true representation of Finnish culture in Northern Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota