U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,124,027 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm very interested in history, especially Finland's history. One of the major events was a mass immigration to the US in the early 1900s. Minnesota was one of the main destinations for the Finns, and Minneapolis had Finnish "blocks". I would be very interested in hearing how people's family ended up to the US, and if those people still have any connection to Finland or to Finnish culture

Here's the official US census map of people who has Finnish ancestors:

And here is a picture of Finnish immigrants in Minnesota in 1910:

America still remains a second biggest country with a Finnish minority, Sweden being first of course
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,328,937 times
Intresting photo indeed.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:20 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,124,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Intresting photo indeed.
Of course that photo is legit Why would you even question that?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Of course that photo is legit Why would you even question that?
Just intresting how they are posing thats all, I'm sure it is real, there are indeed tons of early photos from that era in Duluth at the Depot, showing the imigrants coming here.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:12 PM

There are many Finnish sites and festivals in N MN., as well. Historic farms,

Old 03-06-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Hello,

I'm very interested in history, especially Finland's history. One of the major events was a mass immigration to the US in the early 1900s. Minnesota was one of the main destinations for the Finns, and Minneapolis had Finnish "blocks". I would be very interested in hearing how people's family ended up to the US, and if those people still have any connection to Finland or to Finnish culture

Here's the official US census map of people who has Finnish ancestors:

And here is a picture of Finnish immigrants in Minnesota in 1910:

America still remains a second biggest country with a Finnish minority, Sweden being first of course

http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHistor...04p317-328.pdf

Old 03-06-2015, 03:57 PM

1,037 posts, read 620,509 times
sadly i don't know how or why my ancestors ended up in the US. my paternal grandmother's parents settled in sebeka (grandmother was US born) and my grandmother somehow ended up in minneapolis. my paternal grandfather was born in finland and arrived in the upper peninsula with his mother when he was 5 or 6. his father either had died in finland or on the journey over, it was never clear. how he ended up in minneapolis i don't know either. heck, my last name isn't even my grandfather's original last name as his mother remarried in the US and my grandfather adopted the step-father's surname.

both of them corresponded regularly with relations in finland until their deaths. again, sadly, i have no more information than this. when i was young, none of this seemed important or interesting. oh, the follies of youth. and oddly, they both seemed to have been "americanized" to the point of not embracing their heritage much except when around family. it wasn't so much of a shunning of their heritage as much as having become american. i have no memory of any Finnish traditions/recipes (except coffee ) being discussed or practiced. odd.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:02 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,299,411 times
Majurius, you're aware of the little town of Finland in Northern Minnesota, right? My relatives had a cabin there.

My grandmother is Finnish, as her parents came from Finland between 1906 and 1908. She was born in 1910.

She had a book once that I am still trying to track down. It gives the history of her family (Mantarri - I don't think I'm spelling that correctly) from about 1660 to about 1930 or so. Her name is listed in it and also her son, my father.

I honestly don't know how my great-grandparents came to the US. I do know there was a problem in that both parents died and the oldest daughter tried to take care of the family. Because of her age, the children were all separated and adopted out and it wasn't until my grandmother was an older woman that she found her brothers and sisters again. Because of that, she ended up in the Twin Cities. My mother, whose parents had migrated from Germany to Southern Minnesota, had gone north to work in the Cities and met my dad there. And I am now in Washington, having spent 25 years in California. I always wondered if that was the heritage of having emigrating great-grand parents on all four sides, always moving west to look for something better.

I do know that once when we were up to Finland (the town), we had the chance to go to an old Finnish sauna. We poured water over the hot rocks and then ran outside and jumped into the Baptism river. Now that's a tradition I'd as soon do without.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:09 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,421,819 times
lots of Finnesotans making a living playing hockey in St Paul...

Finnesotans: Finns Make Impact In Minnesota - Minnesota Wild | Features

Old 03-06-2015, 06:33 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times
That picture looks like a bunch of preteens at the ye olde photo booth circa 2010, not 1910. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's no 1910 photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota